OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I felt this one deserves a thread. Not really for troubleshooting or anything, since as you know the Wifi on the DS via dswifilib is garbage.
I've done all I can do with it right now to keep it going, but it will not work for everyone and will be more reliable for some than for others

However, I feel it's releasable in a "proper" way, so here goes:

The 5/03/11 Release of the Wifi Plugin includes a function I was inspired to do by a random "dream gremlin" and managed to get working.
I guess you can call it "Cloud Saving", but I prefer "Online Save Backup/Restoration"

What this is is a function that will load up with the Wifi Plugin and present you wish a File Browser, listing .SAV games you have on your card.
You will be able to navigate directories and select a file, which will then prompt you for Zipping and Uploading of the SAV to our AKAIO.net host (where wifi plugin and loaders reside)
This is "local" mode.

There is "remote" mode, where it will connect to the AKAIO server and populate a listbox of your backed up saves. you can then select a SAV game, and have it download and unzip. you get to choose the destination and it will prompt for overwriting, etc.

Okay, so the whole "wtf?" Questions I can perceive....

Q) How do I access this?
A) From Wifi Page: PERMA-NOTES: To show new menu, set to 'Show on Load' in AKAIO, press 'X'. You'll notice the new button in the Wifi Menu once the plugin loads.

Q) Where are these things stored?
A) AKAIO.net

Q) Are you collecting information about me? How is this secure?
A) Uploads are filed according to MAC address of the DS Unit. So a ZIP is created, uploaded, tagged, moved around, etc... is it secure? I dunno. As secure as any wifi traffic. the only people with access to the server are myself and Norm, and to be honest we don't give a shit about your saves.

Q) Can other people get my saves?
A) This isn't a "save sharing service". I don't even know if it is a service. It could potentially be useful to us if you have a problematic game and a SAV file you want us to test... I just came up with that scenario as I was typing this and picking my nose at the same time. Anywho, your saves are tied to your DS Unit; it will only upload to its "area" and will only list SAVs to download from its "area"

Q) HA HA I'M going to upload a billion megs and kill your server!
A) Everyone has a quota. It's not super huge because saves typically are 1KB up to 16KB once zipped. I can change the quota whenever I feel. I'm being generous currently, but I drink a lot. It's NHL season, so I drink even harder. Don't poke the tiger.

Q) This thing sucks! It doesn't work or it freezes up or I can only upload 2 files in a row before it dies or my uncle touched me and now I can't download anything!
A) Join the club. DSWifiLib is notorious for its memory leakings. There are dev threads about it, but nothing is being done. Also, some routers loathe the method of making new sockets for each transfer. I've had my 4 DS Units work perfectly on a home router, only to fail completely at someone else's office. Routers hate DSWifiLib.

Q) Are you single?
A) Norm is; the prize goat just died

Okay, here it is: http://akaio.net/wifi/

And yes, this was the "easter egg" I was talking about.
I really like the fact I ported the zip library, honestly. Yay zipping files!

I realize there are many new strings of text. When a new AKAIO is released, the new language.txt will come out with the new strings.

Damian666

Coder from Hell
Trophies
Website
damian666.16mb.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
to bad, it doesnt work on my end.

hangs on contacting external site.

oh well, thanx for making this though, im sure its gonna be handy for lots of people
smile.gif

Dami

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Annnnnd front-paged.

Gonna' give this puppy a whirl.

EDIT: Hm, I could upload but when I go to download it seems AKAIO's lower screen freezes (progress bar doesn't move, no background text, and it doesn't respond to B), though the upper screen still keeps track of time.
The MAC is E8:4E:CE:36:FD:6C

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is a question, has anyone been able to spoof the DS MAC address yet? as far as i know you cant yet.
what do you think about that :wtf:?

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Annnnnd front-paged.

EDIT: Hm, I could upload but when I go to download it seems AKAIO's lower screen freezes (progress bar doesn't move, no background text, and it doesn't respond to B), though the upper screen still keeps track of time.

i'm telling ya, it's picky. picky as goddamn hell.

if wifi has not worked for you on this plugin before, it definitely will hate ya in this.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rydian said:
Annnnnd front-paged.

Here it freezes after opening "Choose save to download" window. Although I can see my uploaded file and all other info, all buttons/touch screen don't work.

EDIT: After uploading another save, it worked, lol. Although it crashes sometimes.

GREAT addition to AKAIO btw.

iMythD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamielollback.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, i'm trying this on an Acekard2i. Release 1.8.6 But I have no idea where to do this, how to make it "show on load" or anything like that. Any help?

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Yuan said:
Rydian said:
Annnnnd front-paged.

Here it freezes after opening "Choose save to download" window. Although I can see my uploaded file and all other info, all buttons/touch screen don't work.

EDIT: After uploading another save, it worked, lol. Although it crashes sometimes.

GREAT addition to AKAIO btw.

thanks! and yeah i've noticed all the same behaviors.

Basically the Wifi increases its heap infinitely. Even shutdown commands don't free anything up.
It's really annoying but until there's a new release of libwifi or a complete overhaul to a different tcp method, it sticks.

I've gotten 5 files downloaded in one sitting but typically I'll be lucky to do 2 routines.

*sigh*

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
Aeter said:
uyt.95 said:
Is it possible to use this with woor R4?
AKAIO is not Wood R4, so I'm gonna say NO!

Oh and this is pretty awesome, eventhough dswifilib sucks.
I'm gonna try it.

Oh and when do we eat the prize goat?

Wood R4 can use a lot of things made for AKAIO (like themes for instance), because it's basically an AKAIO clone.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
OmegaVesko said:
Aeter said:
uyt.95 said:
Is it possible to use this with woor R4?
AKAIO is not Wood R4, so I'm gonna say NO!

Oh and this is pretty awesome, eventhough dswifilib sucks.
I'm gonna try it.

Oh and when do we eat the prize goat?

Wood R4 can use a lot of things made for AKAIO (like themes for instance), because it's basically an AKAIO clone.

To be more exact, both derive from the same source. AK R.P.G source code.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yuan said:
To be more exact, both derive from the same source. AK R.P.G source code.
That fact was already known to me, but I still don't think it would work on Wood as AKAIO and Wood have changed a lot since they evolved from the AK RPG.
A wifiplugin is not the same as skins and such, which only consist of pictures.
I could still be wrong though.

But on a more important matter, will the prize goat be BBQed?

RODIFIRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
with that I can save everywhere in the game even in the place that I can usaly or before I play I back up my save to be safe?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work