Hacking Metroid Prime 2 Wii de Asobu Translation

PKGINGO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translation patch for metroid prime 2 wiimake is below the readme quote... If you want USB loading, the included readme file may be ambiguous. Read the quote here instead!

From the readme said:
Patch instructions:

Download an IPS program like Lunar IPS: http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/

Download Wii Scrubber and a set it up with a fake signing key (your on your own)

OPEN the ISO in Wii Scrubber

EXTRACT all 3 dol files in the root of the data partition

Open Lunar IPS and click apply ips patch

Select the first patch

Select the corresponding dol file you extracted

CliCk OK

Repeat for the last 2 patches, substituting the word first respectivly.

IN Wiiscrubber, right click on the first dol in the data partition.

SELECT Replace

CHOOSE the corresponding file you patched

Rinse and repeat for the rest of the 2 files you patched

EXIT Wii Scrubber

Burn the ISO and start a new game.

YOU WILL GET A BLACK SCREEN! This is normal!

Press HOME and click Wii Menu, Click Hai.

Put the included Save file on your SD card.

Delete the Save file on the wii currently! (We just needed the ticket)

Copy save file on sd card to your wii.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--At this point you may do the OPTIONAL USB Loader instructions--

NOTE: Playing via USB you will not get access to any other save files or multiplayer.

OPEN the ISO in Wii Scrubber

EXTRACT all 3 dol files in the root of the data partition

2 of the files have the same size, delete them.

RENAME the remaining dol file as main.dol

IN Wiiscrubber, right click on main.dol in the data partition.

SELECT Replace

CHOOSE the file you named main.dol

EXIT

PUT ISO on USB drive with a wbfs client

Watch the Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnedWGHRh0o

Start your game as normal now.

You may be wondering why you cant watch the intro... well the reason is there is no corresponding english only version of the intro... this may be true of other cutscenes so they MAY CRASH TOO!... I have NOT tested beyond the intro so this is by no means done... someone else can finish the work (rename movies....) or look into the rest... I just wanted to try out the controls before I buy the trilogy
smile.gif
and let you guys too.

-PK

Download at mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?23hjnikkytj

Hitokiri-Snake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, everything works great so far except I am having 2 small problems. The first one is that I have no rumble for some reason. any ideas why? does anyone else have rumble support? the second problem is that when you scan things the english text runs way off the screen to the right and you can only read the first 4 or 5 words. this same thing happened in metroid prime 1 after it was patched to english but it did it in a slightly better way. In MP1 the text would overflow downwards a couple lines but you could still read everything. other than those 2 minor problems it is still very much playable. we'll see what happens when I get to the next cutscene.

Thanks for your help.

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for this. I'm surprised so many people can't wait a little over 2 months for official release of these games though.

ah well, nice of you to post it for those metroid fans who just can't wait, lol.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hitokiri-Snake said:
Hmm, everything works great so far except I am having 2 small problems. The first one is that I have no rumble for some reason. any ideas why? does anyone else have rumble support? the second problem is that when you scan things the english text runs way off the screen to the left and you can only read the first 4 or 5 words. this same thing happened in metroid prime 1 after it was patched to english but it did it in a slightly better way. In MP1 the text would overflow downwards a couple lines but you could still read everything. other than those 2 minor problems it is still very much playable. we'll see what happens when I get to the next cutscene.

Thanks for your help.

Actually there is no way to fix this overlapping text. It´s because they only took the languages and so from GC version and for the other language they don´t updated/fixed the text position and so.

Hitokiri-Snake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
Hitokiri-Snake said:
Hmm, everything works great so far except I am having 2 small problems. The first one is that I have no rumble for some reason. any ideas why? does anyone else have rumble support? the second problem is that when you scan things the english text runs way off the screen to the left and you can only read the first 4 or 5 words. this same thing happened in metroid prime 1 after it was patched to english but it did it in a slightly better way. In MP1 the text would overflow downwards a couple lines but you could still read everything. other than those 2 minor problems it is still very much playable. we'll see what happens when I get to the next cutscene.

Thanks for your help.

Actually there is no way to fix this overlapping text. It´s because they only took the languages and so from GC version and for the other language they don´t updated/fixed the text position and so.

Ok thanks, I didn't think so. I did get the rumble working though.

PKGINGO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
Hitokiri-Snake said:

Thanks for your help.

You can fix this... but youd have to add the control codes by hand to the script. A simple programming script can fix this but it's beyond what I wanted to do. I just wanted to test out the controls and see the instructions on how to do things in english.

If you guys like it, PLEASE BUY THE TRILOGY! It's going to fix door lag better than a backup has anyway, not only that, but you wont need to keep swapping dols to play individual games on a usb loader to make up for it. Plus legit discs rock... and you cant beat the price for 3 freaking games! Plus you can read the text correctly and see the movies too!

Hitokiri-Snake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PKGINGO said:
nIxx said:
Hitokiri-Snake said:

Thanks for your help.

You can fix this... but youd have to add the control codes by hand to the script. A simple programming script can fix this but it's beyond what I wanted to do. I just wanted to test out the controls and see the instructions on how to do things in english.

If you guys like it, PLEASE BUY THE TRILOGY! It's going to fix door lag better than a backup has anyway, not only that, but you wont need to keep swapping dols to play individual games on a usb loader to make up for it. Plus legit discs rock... and you cant beat the price for 3 freaking games! Plus you can read the text correctly and see the movies too!

Oh, I thought there had to be a way to set the number of characters before looping the text to the next line. when you say that you'd have to add the control codes by hand to the script do you mean you would have to edit every piece of text in the game? I can see how that would be a little tedious

PKGINGO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well doing what you propose is possible too, however keep in mind MP2 uses a variable width font and because of that, it would require a more in-depth hack to count how long a string of text is, as well as constant checking after each character print. So if you were going multi lingual, this might be the way to go because it would take up much less space to perform this code, however, if you were just doing the english text, it would probably be easier and faster to write an external program to do this calculation for you and drop the control codes in manually. IIRC just looking at it briefly in the logbook.pak, I saw 0x0A as the control code to press the A button.... I could be wrong... it might be newline (0D0A is a window new line). Whatever the case... a real release is only 2 months away anyway and would probably have much more attention to detail than fan work anyway.

I have no doubt in my mind the trilogy will also work like these games do (in fact, they were so kind as to leak the banner of the trilogy on MP1 all the way back in February). The main.dol will be the game selection (prime 1,2, 3) dol file. Then theres 2 more dols, the one with _p means program, the actual game engine, the other as of right now is the same as main.dol. That last remaining dol is going to be the save slot selection for whichever game you choose. So in essence, the trilogy is actually going to be a triple dol game, at least for mp1 and 2... The only thing of merit these Japanese games have to them is the fact that they are separated from this trilogy. It makes it easier to run them the way they were coded on a USB drive to help eliminate load times... which was a big problem for me.. . I'd get killed waiting for a door to open... on a legit import...

What I'd like to do is see if they live up to their promise of harnessing the wii's power to help eliminate door lag period (It wouldn't even take much, look at how eternal darkness tried to curb loading). If they don't, I do want to use the japanese games as "templates" for injecting english assets and play it that way. Because the release is so close, it's just not worth trying to fix it unless your desperate... at least thats my stance. And from what I've seen, MP2 seems to be running a little smoother than MP1. Here's hoping some optimizations are trickled throughout the series
smile.gif

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this english fix so much more complicated than the one for metroid prime 1 ?

missing/crashing videos, mucking about with save files etc ?

i understand the leaky text can't be helped but does the fix need to be this compicated ?

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this english fix so much more complicated than the one for metroid prime 1 ?

missing/crashing videos, mucking about with save files etc ?

i understand the leaky text can't be helped but does the fix need to be this complicated ?

PKGINGO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The patch is essentially the same as the one as mp1. Instead of making a ppf for the disc image, I made patch files for the individual files instead. The instructions are mainly there to hold your hand through that procedure.

As for movies... ask the programmers.

As far as save files go... We need to skip the intro because of the video. This can be done several ways. Play the game unpatched, save, play the game patched. Or to save on discs and work: play the game and create the save file (THIS IS THE KEY! It gives your wii a ticket so you can copy over a save file), erase it and put in one that's already made, then load it. So the movies and the save file are intertwined. If you try to copy over a save file without your wii having a ticket, the save file will refuse to install. You might be able to get around this with waninkoko's save installer, but i've never tried.

Hitokiri-Snake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PKGINGO said:
Well doing what you propose is possible too, however keep in mind MP2 uses a variable width font and because of that, it would require a more in-depth hack to count how long a string of text is, as well as constant checking after each character print. So if you were going multi lingual, this might be the way to go because it would take up much less space to perform this code, however, if you were just doing the english text, it would probably be easier and faster to write an external program to do this calculation for you and drop the control codes in manually. IIRC just looking at it briefly in the logbook.pak, I saw 0x0A as the control code to press the A button.... I could be wrong... it might be newline (0D0A is a window new line). Whatever the case... a real release is only 2 months away anyway and would probably have much more attention to detail than fan work anyway.

I have no doubt in my mind the trilogy will also work like these games do (in fact, they were so kind as to leak the banner of the trilogy on MP1 all the way back in February). The main.dol will be the game selection (prime 1,2, 3) dol file. Then theres 2 more dols, the one with _p means program, the actual game engine, the other as of right now is the same as main.dol. That last remaining dol is going to be the save slot selection for whichever game you choose. So in essence, the trilogy is actually going to be a triple dol game, at least for mp1 and 2... The only thing of merit these Japanese games have to them is the fact that they are separated from this trilogy. It makes it easier to run them the way they were coded on a USB drive to help eliminate load times... which was a big problem for me.. . I'd get killed waiting for a door to open... on a legit import...

What I'd like to do is see if they live up to their promise of harnessing the wii's power to help eliminate door lag period (It wouldn't even take much, look at how eternal darkness tried to curb loading). If they don't, I do want to use the japanese games as "templates" for injecting english assets and play it that way. Because the release is so close, it's just not worth trying to fix it unless your desperate... at least thats my stance. And from what I've seen, MP2 seems to be running a little smoother than MP1. Here's hoping some optimizations are trickled throughout the series
smile.gif

Hmm, I apreciate the in-depth response. I might look into it little more but honestly, I think I'm just gonna wait and pick up the trilogy when it comes out. I haven't really been in the mood to play this game lately so I don't really feel like hacking it any more, lol
tongue.gif
I do appreciate your input though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-