New slot-1 media player in the works (iPlayer)

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ds.gif
New slot-1 media player in the works
Plays various video formats directly
dsiplayer.jpg
Update: The official website for the product, now called the iPlayer, is online. Check it out at http://www.dsiplayer.com/. Details are still scarce, but you can get an interactive demo of how the product looks and works. The team are waiting from feedback from reviewers before launching the product, so stay tuned to our full written review, and our first impressions that will be online this evening.

Old news piece said:
You may have seen our previous news piece that showed a Nintendo DSi playing various video formats directly (AVI,WMV,RMVB) without the initial need to transcode to a DS friendly format like DPG, today we are proud to announce that this will indeed be possible thanks to a new slot-1 cart that is currently being created by a new team.

Many of you speculated that this cart may be running in DSi homebrew mode which unfortunately is NOT the case. In fact, the new cart has a powerful on-board CPU that makes possible media playback that wouldn't normally be achievable on a Nintendo DS. (DSi mode being a different story)

Due to fears regarding Nintendo copyright infringement the cart is not being designed with game backup playing in mind, however it will still support DLDI homebrew. The cart is first and foremost a media player, and it will also support various audio formats as well as video.

While the hardware itself is completed, the carts software is still being wrapped up and is due to be completed early next week. GBAtemp have secured the first sample and will hopefully be receiving the finished product late next week, so stay tuned for more information and a full review.

The team have released another video which you can check in the spoiler below:
icon11.gif
Official Website

icon11.gif
 New video (Youtube)
icon11.gif
 Previous video and topic
discuss.png
 Discuss

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
hmm, If it plays MKV + can change sub title size then it will be cool.

thank you for the info, plese post if it can when you get a fully working card.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I'll be damned its true. This time its more er believable especailly now we can see what he is pressing. Still I won't be getting it considering my micro sd isn't so big and price considering the powerful cpu.

@Normmatt: please do if you can
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Humm, it'll be interesting to see how they're doing this. Raw video for a DS screen is only 3MB/sec (192 x 256 pixels, x 16bpp x 30fps), which I believe is within the limits of Slot-1, so they could very well be handing the DS completely decoded frames. OTOH they could be using something like MJPEG to cut down on necessary bandwidth, but I'm not sure if the DS can do that at 30fps.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
i died on the inside

..i thought it was going to be a dsi mode flash cart..

thanks for killing me, ill jump off mount everest to finish the process

-------
lol my ds is dead anyway, so im just waiting for the dsi to be hacked then ill buy one

hepheisto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BoxShot said:
On another note if we use vids we downloaded off the internet won't they be to big for the screen? So what about that.

Resizing should be easily done within the external cpu, takes way less processing power than decoding. Maybe DS itself is fast enough for that.

I hope it will be able to play mkv an be able to display the subtitle on the bottom screen, so it can be larger without taking up annoying much video space

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Looks promising.... for DSi owners. Good to see that more developers are making flashcarts, even if its just for media and homebrew.

Is there a possibilty of such a cart on DSL, ever?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i.Domination said:
Looks promising.... for DSi owners. Good to see that more developers are making flashcarts, even if its just for media and homebrew.

Is there a possibilty of such a cart on DSL, ever?
I fail to see why this would be DSi only. It's still running everything in DS compatibility mode so that means it should work on normal DSs/DSLs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool