Hacking '3x' drive speed.

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with waninkoko basically chased off the internet, i would guess no.

Congrats to the 'bushing boys' you certainly won.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
the only progress is buy a bleeding mod chip, not expensive. might as well instead of the constant waste of discs with patching this that the other, all the fails etc.. better off with a chip, might not be till a good few months till they iron out the wrinkles of the loaders, and even still they might not manage it** up to you.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
exactly, the ignorance on these boards is amazing

I would not hold my breathe if I were you, it is a hardware limitation and there is nothing waninkoko could do about it... other than waiting for one of the "bushing boys", like you said, to (eventually) found a new way around
rolleyes.gif

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:

I would not hold my breathe if I were you, it is a hardware limitation and there is nothing waninkoko could do about it... other than waiting for one of the "bushing boys", like you said, to (eventually) found a new way around
rolleyes.gif

You also told us once that waninkoko was incapable of producing a backuploader at all.

Go away 'bushing boy' your team already won

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im sure in the future someone will find a way around it, Especially with WiiGators backup loader, So right now im sure someone is trying to work around it, If you dont want 3x speed, Get a modchip

slimpyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dvdx is sloppy code. it doesnt even play 1/3rd of the dvds i try to play with the "proof of concept" mplayer. go back to the drawing boards. its junk. get a read speed of 5x while youre at it.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
You also told us once that waninkoko was incapable of producing a backuploader at all.
well, that was before Bushing Boys (again lol) discovered the video mode flaw in the DVD drive that allow to read DVD-R without modchip
rolleyes.gif

once DVDX was released, EVERYBODY knew we would not have to wait very long until someone put all the stuff together and release a backup loader, no ?

QUOTE said:
Go away 'bushing boy' your team already won

won what ?
does not waninkoko delibaretely choosed to stop working on this because of the leaked beta on gbatemp ?
and you will be surprised that waninkoko and bushing really do not have any problems together, they just are thinking different way. The only ones creating dramas are you :-)
dvdx is sloppy code. it doesnt even play 1/3rd of the dvds i try to play with the "proof of concept" mplayer. go back to the drawing boards. its junk. get a read speed of 5x while youre at it.

lol, dvdx is actually the base of backup loader
what is limited is the "secret" DVD video mode, nothing more... sadly, thisis actually the ONLY way to read backup DVD on unmodded wii

CMac1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saladman said:
Well, with waninkoko basically chased off the internet, i would guess no.

Congrats to the 'bushing boys' you certainly won.

He's still around, just a tad quieter than he was before. Hopefully he attempts to put what happened in the past, picks up where he left off, and chooses trustworthy beta-testers.

judgedee said:
even if theree was no one would tell you.

Worth asking though, as in many scenes theres always a select few who know whats happening behind the scenes and can always give a wee hint or two to whats going on the 'go too man' if you will. The PSP, and PS3 scenes are a gd source of this. Someone's usually around to fill you in on developments here and there, and its nice for users to be in the know about certain things.

choupette said:
if I'm not mistaken, it's a limitation inherent to dvdx, and dvdx is not coded by waninko.

Ahh rite kl. Basically its a limitation between the DVDX software, and the DVD drive hardware having no means to communicate with one another. I read somewhere that currently it was not possible (no1 has been able to do it anyway) for any type of softmod to bypass this limitation. Was curious to know exactly what it was that is making it difficult for codders to work around this.

QUOTE(djdynamite123 @ Oct 2 2008, 04:39 PM) the only progress is buy a bleeding mod chip, not expensive. might as well instead of the constant waste of discs with patching this that the other, all the fails etc.. better off with a chip, might not be till a good few months till they iron out the wrinkles of the loaders, and even still they might not manage it** up to you.

That holds true in most cases, but right now i dont fancy breaking the warranty i still have, as its my sisters Wii (Kinda stole it...
wink.gif
) and i dont have the cash to get one, as there are far too many games coming out for the PS3 and 360 this month, so right now soft-modding is my only option.

QUOTE(Jacobeian @ Oct 2 2008, 04:43 PM)

rolleyes.gif

When you say nothing Waninkoko could do about, did he ever says anything meaning its impossbile etc. or is it just some people assuming that since he's one of the best coders around and hadn't achieved it, it simply couldnt be done?

Thnx for the info guys.
smile.gif

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no way around the 3x read speed in with the DVD in video mode.

The only other consideration is using a different medium than DVD to load backups from, such as USB or maybe SD.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of all, Waninkoko is still working on the backup loader. He recently stated that his current version has much, much better compatibility. Still I wouldn't hold my breath for a release, if there ever is one.

Secondly, don't expect a workaround on the 3x drive speed soon. In fact, don't expect one at all, it is neither Waninkokos nor the DVDx's team fault. The reason this backup loader was possible in the first place is that the Wii's disc drive has a mode for reading non-original-Wii discs: DVD-Rs, to be precise. This mode is fixed at 3x speed by the drive's firmware. This mode is used by waninkokos cIOS to start Wii game data from a DVD-R. "Fixing" the problem means finding a way to alter the drive's firmware and it's functioning without a modchip - Which, far as I understand, is impossible.

No, if I were you, I'd keep an eye out for coders to crack Nintendos speed-cap on the USB-ports. The Wii has USB 2.0 ports, which would be fast enough to stream game ISOs to the backup loader. In fact, the speed of USB 2.0 could even decrease loading times. But Nintendo, clever as they are, limit the USB transfer rate to USB 1.1, which is even slower than the 3x DVD-R reading, even though the ports could potentially work faster. From what I've read, getting the console to use full USB 2.0 speed is seen as "more realistic" goal by coders than working around the 3x speed limitation of DVDx.

USB 2.0 would be Nintendo's nightmare, as it would enable the easy, simple and fast booting of game backups from any USB drive (put all your backups on a hdd, plug it into the console and never swap discs again), so I expect it to be difficult. But as far as I know, it is not regarded as impossible.

Edit : Streaming via ethernet cable is also an option that would improve the 3x speed limitations, and should theoretically be possible.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:

rolleyes.gif

You state that the ignorance on the boards is amazing and then come out with 'it is a hardware limitation'.

The Hardware naturally reads at 6x speed and its only when using the Wii loader that it drops to 3x , so how can it be a hardware issue if the hardware is designed to read at 6x naturally ?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
dvd drive firmware limitation = hardware limitation in my mind

because it can not easily be modified through homebrew software

happy ?

nitrotux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the DVD firmware identifies a video DVD it sets the maximum read speed to 3x.
This does not happen for a real Wii disc.

That makes it a hardware limitation.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
djtaz said:
You state that the ignorance on the boards is amazing and then come out with 'it is a hardware limitation'.

The Hardware naturally reads at 6x speed and its only when using the Wii loader that it drops to 3x , so how can it be a hardware issue if the hardware is designed to read at 6x naturally ?
As far as we know, changing the speed of the drive's DVD-Video mode requires hardware modification, thus, it's a hardware problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: