Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep thinking that Nintendo would release a SYSTEM update for game DLC? The Mario Kart 8 DLC never needed a system update.

Because it's been almost 4 months since they've released an update (very unusual, unless they're focusing all efforts on NX) and surely they've been working on something behind the scenes.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's been almost 4 months since they've released an update (very unusual, unless they're focusing all efforts on NX) and surely they've been working on something behind the scenes.

Remember they stopped updating the Wii nearly two years before the release of the Wii U? They're probably doing the same now.

4.3 released in September of 2010, along with a Shop Channel update in November 2012.

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
IOSU exploit hopefully??? hint hint Hykem ;)

Yes, that will happen.
The current WebKit exploit is finally showing some stable results on the Wii U and it should be done soon enough.
There's an interesting quirk about it though, this new exploit only works from firmware version 3.0.0 to 5.3.2. The reason for that is quite simple, if you go to http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser you can see that the Internet Browser was first implemented using AppleWebKit 534.52 and was updated to AppleWebKit 536.28 by firmware 3.0.0. The elements involved in this exploit didn't exist yet on 534.52, so it's logical that it shouldn't work.
This is absolutely irrelevant for any end user, it just means that I can't use this exploit on firmware 2.1.1. Instead, I'm backporting the already existing UAF bug so I can reach IOSU under 2.1.1 (the lower the firmware the better, always). As you all should know, this bug (wiiu-userspace) works from firmware 2.0.0 up to 5.1.0.

I can't make any promises or claims on when the exploit will be released though, but only due to strategic reasons. It's quite clear that Nintendo is planning a big update some time soon, so, delaying this release will dramatically improve our chances that it will still work on the next firmware update.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
True, but then again you could do that until they stop support for the WiiU and no updates come out anymore.
I agree with this in principle, delaying the exploit because some DLC will be available soon doesn't make sense because there's always something new around the corner.

But in this context, it makes sense. The exploit isn't ready yet and a firmware update is expected to arrive before the exploits are ready anyway so strategically it makes sense to at least wait one more firmware revision (assuming one does indeed come).

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
True, but then again you could do that until they stop support for the WiiU and no updates come out anymore.

The point is we know an update to next firmware is immanent... Why not be patient for a few more weeks... Just so no clues are given to N. Like others said give the exploits best chance of longevity (and possivly compatibilty 5.4?) by releasing both exploits together and after the next release of firmware which should be soon.

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theoretically, could one open up their wii u and attach some wires to make the wii u think it is getting certain responses from the starbuck when it isn't?

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
So there's another delay in the release of the exploit for 5.3.2? Ugh, okay... I was happy to get a working one within the next few days since those are free days here and I would have time to play around with those :(

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
So there's another delay in the release of the exploit for 5.3.2? Ugh, okay... I was happy to get a working one within the next few days since those are free days here and I would have time to play around with those :(

I'm sure you will have free days once the MK8 DLC2, smash update, etc. comes out :-)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not like the Webkit exploit lets you do much anyways :P Even if it were finished in the next day or two it'd still take a while to polish up the kernel exploit.

Reactions: EpicLPer

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
It's not like the Webkit exploit lets you do much anyways :P Even if it were finished in the next day or two it'd still take a while to polish up the kernel exploit.

At least we could have some fun in-game ;P Of course not cheating online etc. but as example showing your friends like "Hey look what I can do!" ;D
Of course the Kernel exploit is not the thing I'm waiting here for mainly, I know this is something that still takes a while. And then, once this is ready, the Homebrew Channel (which I assume will come too) will take its time till a release too. It'll basically be the same steps as it was with the Wii back then just with a lot more waiting time since the devs from back then have less time due to being older and having "more real-life" and stuff ;)

At least that's my theory :D

Reactions: NWPlayer123

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody claiming to work for Nintendo mentioned a kernel exploit. Nintendo could update Webkit. Especially as hykem said what the user space exploit was based 9n. Webkit updated to a certain version and using elements of that moving forward. They could broadly update webkit. It may or may not block the exploit. The Nintendo employee said "spinlock" or something was the kernel exploit. Companies self audit.

I'd imagine more than one of each type of exploit was found though. Nintendo could rush an update once you guys release. However, waiting does give us A CHANCE to get the dlc for MK8 and other downloads before blocking online functions again. It appears the Wii U is the last hacked system. Microsoft and Sony had decent security last time around. This time even XBone has not been hacked. Hell, PSP being hacked on Vita is the same as vWii. Also, Sony still updates it unlike Nintendo and vWii.

vWii hacks cannot really lead to piracy of the Wii U or Wii U control so why waste time patching it? Interesting point somebody made about Nintendo ceasing to update the Wii two years before the Wii U was released. The next big Wii U update could be the last and as the Wii U is a zombie system now, other than Zelda/Metroid...if those are released at all, I think Nintendo is moving on.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
all would be very easy to patch and personal opinion is we wont see the new zelda or much else thats new. this console has been on the edge the hole time and nintendo done next to nothing for it unfortunatly. but i think the console will get some interest once thier is homebrew

ronopotomus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure this is proper but I have noticed that for quite some time the Wiikey website has been down. I check it periodically and it has been at least 3 or 4 weeks (if not longer) since it was up and operating. I am only going by what I read but I read a pretty detailed thread on some back forum about how Team Cobra was depending on the release of the Wiikey U to back engineer and release their own hardware. If that is true then it looks as if this (very capable) team here is our only shot at homebrew on the Wii U. I try to keep my comments to a minimum on this thread since I am not a dev or a hacker but I do want to thank you for your informative posts and your persistence.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30