Wii Injects Black Screen

Chromagram

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, I have an NA Wii U console with Tiramisu and games loaded from Wii U/Wii/GameCube/DS injects. Every console loads properly, but the Wii games suddenly boot to the vWii splash screen, then the screen goes black and is hardlocked. You have to physically disconnect the power supply to get it to turn off, holding the power button down doesn't work once it happens.

I will note a couple things:

1. The Wii injects initially worked just fine, the issue happened recently and none of them run now.

2. I own a physical JP Wii disk that would not read in the Wii U, so I changed the internal Wii U's vWii files to change the vWii's region to JP. I can't remember 100%, but I think the issue started happening after this edit. I speedrun this game and the leaderboards don't accept runs from rom boots, so ultimately I need the disk to work.

If it is indeed a vWii region issue, I can always change it back to the default NA vWii. However, Nintendont GC injects work no problem still, and I wasn't sure if that also had to boot from the vWii, since it goes through its boot screen. If it is confirmed the vWii region is the issue, I can change it back. However, I'd also appreciate if anyone could direct me to an alternate method to make my JP Wii disk to recognize and run. Preferably, if it can even boot like a normal game from the Wii U's menu, that would be even better. I only changed the vWii's region because I couldn't really find any suitable way to make it work otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Chromagram,

Chromagram

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just bumping this, don't know really where to start so I haven't touched anything yet. A little concerned about breaking something. However right now, only thing that doesn't work is Wii injects, both GameCube and Wii U games run fine.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well you changed the region that is the issue, wii injects have issues with region, if you switch region back to ntsc usa they should start working again.
This only affects wii games, nitendont is region free so it doesnt matter.Its the way wii games are coded that doesnt work region free.
Some ntsc wii injects dont work on pal wiius, many jap games dont work on pal wiius or ntsc usa wiius and so on.

If i remenber the way vwii wii games work is when you start a game it checks your wiiu region and then trys to start those region files on the disc, normaly most games dont have the required files to start from other region so they crash becuase the files are not there because the wii was region locked, there are games that have all the files for all the regions but most do not.

Last edited by pedro702,

Chromagram

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well you changed the region that is the issue, wii injects have issues with region, if you switch region back to ntsc usa they should start working again.
This only affects wii games, nitendont is region free so it doesnt matter.Its the way wii games are coded that doesnt work region free.
Some ntsc wii injects dont work on pal wiius, many jap games dont work on pal wiius or ntsc usa wiius and so on.

If i remenber the way vwii wii games work is when you start a game it checks your wiiu region and then trys to start those region files on the disc, normaly most games dont have the required files to start from other region so they crash becuase the files are not there because the wii was region locked, there are games that have all the files for all the regions but most do not.
Thanks for confirming, I figured that's what it was but I didn't want to act haphazardly and make anything worse.

I don't suppose there's a way to both keep my NA Wii Injects functional as well as my JP Wii disc functional with correct fonts at the same time? Bonus points if it can read/launch properly from the Wii U's disc menu.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for confirming, I figured that's what it was but I didn't want to act haphazardly and make anything worse.

I don't suppose there's a way to both keep my NA Wii Injects functional as well as my JP Wii disc functional with correct fonts at the same time? Bonus points if it can read/launch properly from the Wii U's disc menu.
afaik no.

GBATmpEhUmaBOSTAAAA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I also suffer from something like this. But most of the time the game boots with sound but entirely black, and only for the first time i run my injection...i either shutdown or press home and try to find the Wii Menu button blindly lololololol.
Idk if that's your case. There are situations i also got hanged up with no audio and functioning power button but that was duo to bad configurations, specially with '.dol' or nand channel forwarders.

Chromagram

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need to revive this topic to get the best option to restore the correct vWii region files in the Wii U without damaging anything. A friend of mine did something similar in the past with a JP Wii U using FTP to access the Wii U's vWii system files to replace, but during replacement, the FTP client crashed and left his Wii U perpetually unable to boot back to retrieve and fix the error. Absolutely bricked. As you can guess, I don't want that happening to mine.

---
Just to recap, I have a North American Wii U that has been successfully modded with Tiramisu, and also loaded with Nintendont, numerous Wii U installs, and Wii/GC/NDS injects. For 99% of the population, it was absolutely perfect in functionality. However for me, I speedrun Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Japanese disc and needed to launch it through the vWii. Annoyingly, the game's speedrun community requires players to boot the game from actual hardware on disc and not USB, due to it being a rhythm game and the timesaves will come from someone booting from faster or slower drives. Anyways, that was an explanation as to why I went hunting for a way to have the disc read properly on the Wii U menu and boot into the game directly on the vWii when selected. Only thing I found that could work was to use a homebrew app to delete the default NA vWii files and to replace them with the JP vWii files.

And hey! This provided a working method to have the Wii U recognize the JP Wii disc in the slot, and to launch the game properly when selected. However, it seems now that my internal vWii files are the JP region, my Wii injects boot to a black screen. It's been a decent while since then, and I no longer actively run Rhythm Heaven Fever. However, my vWii still remains in Japanese with the Japanese files, and my NA Wii injects don't boot as a result. Currently still, my Wii U/GameCube games and DS VC injects boot like normal with no problems either. Just the Wii injects have the problem.

Basically, before I start messing with anything: from the exact spot I am currently in, what is the best way to revert my vWii files back to the default NA so my Wii injects work again?

Bonus: If there is some way to make all my Wii U/Wii/GameCube/DS injects run as normal, but also to reduce as much stress as possible launching my one specific JP Wii disc on this console, I would absolutely appreciate hearing about it. I concede I likely won't be able to make it as easy as having it recognize on the Wii U menu for convenience, but whatever is easiest so I can just go into my vWii and launch it without going through a separate homebrew app or something would still help a lot.

Thanks kindly.

I also suffer from something like this. But most of the time the game boots with sound but entirely black, and only for the first time i run my injection...i either shutdown or press home and try to find the Wii Menu button blindly lololololol.
Idk if that's your case. There are situations i also got hanged up with no audio and functioning power button but that was duo to bad configurations, specially with '.dol' or nand channel forwarders.
My situation is almost guaranteed to be because I removed the NA vWii files and replaced them with the JP files. It solved my particular problem at the time, but caused this new one. I really just want to go back, but it's been a while and I can't remember what tutorial I used at the time. I'm just concerned about jumping in myself and bricking my vWii or Wii U.

Last edited by Chromagram,

Jereming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I need to revive this topic to get the best option to restore the correct vWii region files in the Wii U without damaging anything. A friend of mine did something similar in the past with a JP Wii U using FTP to access the Wii U's vWii system files to replace, but during replacement, the FTP client crashed and left his Wii U perpetually unable to boot back to retrieve and fix the error. Absolutely bricked. As you can guess, I don't want that happening to mine.

---
Just to recap, I have a North American Wii U that has been successfully modded with Tiramisu, and also loaded with Nintendont, numerous Wii U installs, and Wii/GC/NDS injects. For 99% of the population, it was absolutely perfect in functionality. However for me, I speedrun Rhythm Heaven Fever on the Japanese disc and needed to launch it through the vWii. Annoyingly, the game's speedrun community requires players to boot the game from actual hardware on disc and not USB, due to it being a rhythm game and the timesaves will come from someone booting from faster or slower drives. Anyways, that was an explanation as to why I went hunting for a way to have the disc read properly on the Wii U menu and boot into the game directly on the vWii when selected. Only thing I found that could work was to use a homebrew app to delete the default NA vWii files and to replace them with the JP vWii files.

And hey! This provided a working method to have the Wii U recognize the JP Wii disc in the slot, and to launch the game properly when selected. However, it seems now that my internal vWii files are the JP region, my Wii injects boot to a black screen. It's been a decent while since then, and I no longer actively run Rhythm Heaven Fever. However, my vWii still remains in Japanese with the Japanese files, and my NA Wii injects don't boot as a result. Currently still, my Wii U/GameCube games and DS VC injects boot like normal with no problems either. Just the Wii injects have the problem.

Basically, before I start messing with anything: from the exact spot I am currently in, what is the best way to revert my vWii files back to the default NA so my Wii injects work again?

Bonus: If there is some way to make all my Wii U/Wii/GameCube/DS injects run as normal, but also to reduce as much stress as possible launching my one specific JP Wii disc on this console, I would absolutely appreciate hearing about it. I concede I likely won't be able to make it as easy as having it recognize on the Wii U menu for convenience, but whatever is easiest so I can just go into my vWii and launch it without going through a separate homebrew app or something would still help a lot.

Thanks kindly.

My situation is almost guaranteed to be because I removed the NA vWii files and replaced them with the JP files. It solved my particular problem at the time, but caused this new one. I really just want to go back, but it's been a while and I can't remember what tutorial I used at the time. I'm just concerned about jumping in myself and bricking my vWii or Wii U.
You can use usb loader gx (vwii) to boot up other region's wii disc (not backup rom), not sure if that's acceptable for your speedrun, but it helps when you just want to boot up different region's wii disc without modding vwii nand.

I only tried this with hong kong new super mario bros wii disc on an US console though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music