Which physical part(s) determines the eid_root_key?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am going through the motions of a PS3 repair.

When I last played my PS3 FAT , which was a few years ago at least, I was having some overheating issues which indicated that it needed new thermal paste, but before I could schedule to have that done one of the crashes led me to a message about a corrupted drive. I wasn't willing to reformat it, as that would have resulted in a total loss of saved games and profiles, so I ended up putting it into storage. I kept it in a sealed container to prevent moisture infiltration and kept it in the basement to minimize temperature fluctuations.

Recently I actually had time to work on it, and more importantly I learned of a tool that would let me decrypt the drive if I dump the eid_root_key. So, I put a new "1 TB Samsung V-NAND 860 QVO" SSD in and when I tried booting I ended up on a yellow light error that I never had before. So I ended up finding a local repair shop who replaced the thermal paste and the thermal pads and did a cleaning (they said the thermal paste was VERY bad, but the board itself was surpringly clean with no corrosion) and in the meantime I started to do a RAW copy of the old 620 GB drive to the new one per the information I found here. In the meantime it of course still has a YLOD error because no hard drive will also cause it. We are hopeful that it will work once I plug the new drive in (maybe the cleaning and thermal paste replacement was enough) and if that doesn't work I can try using the old drive since maybe there's a compatability issue with the new one (I never did try turning it on again with the old drive), but if that doesn't work the next step will be to try a reflow. If that fixes it even long enough to dump the eid_root_key via the tool I found here I can decrypt the drive (either the old or new, since it's cloned) using the tool I found here. That way I can migrate to a PS3 slim that won't have the heating issues whenever it dies again. (and I already purchased a modded PS2 so that I won't need a FAT model for PS1 and PS2 compatability)

So now comes the question. It was suggested that a bad chip could be the cause, and if a reflow doesn't work I will be open to replacing any part that I have to in order to get this working, but the objective here isn't a working PS3. It's data recovery. It's just that getting the PS3 working is a neccessary step to decrypt the drive. My concern here is that if the key is changed when replacing parts that will defeat the objective so I need to know what parts are safe to replace and what parts are not safe to replace. Similarly, if there is only one part that determines this, I wonder if moving that part into another PS3 (maybe a slim?) might allow the drive to be read.

I thought I dumped the keys before I put it into storage, but it's not on my PS3 external hard drive which otherwise still works fine, and I can only find a few of my saved games backed up so it's really important to me that I can recover the data.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
A reflowing wasn't effective. They think it needs a new APU, but they don't have the equipment to replace the APU. Before I drop the money on mailing this to someone else I need to know if replacing the APU will change the eid_root_key or now. Does anyone know?

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
what apu? this isn't ps4, this is ps3. if you change CELL, you can't decrypt the metldr that is on the flash, and thus you can't recover the root key inside it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.