What is your recommendation for an Android device to play games on a TV?

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just looking for something affordable and easy to use so I can play through the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series.

Thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is helpful, but I love the Nvidia shield. It will have the history of your phone if you use the same Gmail account. It can also use a dualsense and I think series x controller.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have a smartphone with HDMI output support?

I don't know if this is helpful, but I love the Nvidia shield. It will have the history of your phone if you use the same Gmail account. It can also use a dualsense and I think series x controller.

I just checked and I don’t think Android TV/Shield officially supports all the games E.g. FFI.

You may be able to side load, but AFAIK the default launcher doesn’t support side loaded apps so you either have to use a different launcher or another app to run the game, presuming it works.

I looked on Amazon and it’s only listing one of my Fire Sticks as supported, but I don’t know which model it is and even then I haven’t used Fire for gaming in years. Although something like the 4K on sale may be among the cheapest options, if it’s suitable at all.

Reactions: godreborn

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I just checked and I don’t think Android TV/Shield officially supports all the games E.g. FFI.

You may be able to side load, but AFAIK the default launcher doesn’t support side loaded apps so you either have to use a different launcher or another app to run the game, presuming it works.

I looked on Amazon and it’s only listing one of my Fire Sticks as supported, but I don’t know which model it is and even then I haven’t used Fire for gaming in years. Although something like the 4K on sale may be among the cheapest options, if it’s suitable at all.
I can confirm this. Checking on my Shield TV it’s just the 3D games that show up. FF3 kinda great though.

Reactions: godreborn

666nyan666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I'm familar with the Nvidia Shield but was not aware that sideloading was not possible on the device.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm familar with the Nvidia Shield but was not aware that sideloading was not possible on the device.

It is possible, but the stock launcher wont show the apps. The easiest workarounds I’ve found is to either use a third party app as a proxy which is on the play store (which will therefore show up on the home screen) or to use a different launcher altogether.

I ended up just switching to a third party launcher years ago, since I’m not fond of the stock one.

edit:

AFAIK this is an issue with Android TV, not just the Shield.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If your phone can run the app check if you can mirror your display to a TV via a simple USB-C to HDMI cable. Most modern android phones since about android 12 support that. Specifically Motorola and Samsung have that as part of their advertising strategy, but other manufacturers should also mention whether it works or not in the tech specs on the product page somewhere.
In case that is an option for you you just need the proper cable and a bluetooth controller and you're good to go.
If you're in for a phone upgrade anyhow consider just getting a phone that supports it and your favorite controller instead of getting a dedicated android device to handle it. I have a Moto G100 with a snapdragon 870+ and it's perfectly fine for 1080p gaming, both on the phone screen and on a TV.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that link lead me to a 404
Oh, that's probably because Bandai delisted (removed) it although if you "claimed" it it still shows.

You can download the APK + Data files to play it, or try to. Great game.

DK6mTJy.jpg

Somehow Android got a better RR than Consoles/PC did. 🤨

P.S. I'm not forgetting RR 6 and 7, rather comparing it to Unbounded.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A FPS western shooting game, where you go up against @Marc_LFD :)
Haha.

Shooting games on Android are a bit of an annoyance as they rely on touch screen controls. I did play PUBG many years ago on an Android tablet using a mouse and keyboard and that was awesome.

Was it cheating considering the rest were likely using the shitty touch screen controls? I guess.

• Love
Reactions: AncientBoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!