Homebrew Was the Cave Story DS Demo ever Finished? (Homebrew)

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm not trying to revive some old topic here, but I'm starting to wonder: has anyone ever finished the port of the original CS into the DS?

To be fair, I've done my fair share of research, and to the request of Pixel himself asking Ravenworks to stop development. I know that this was due to not steal the spotlight for the WiiWare release some time later. Fast-forward some time later in 2020, and I'm not sure if things have changed for the better in this situation.

I believe, however, that this could be the perfect time to do so. Not just because of porting an amazing game to the DS via homebrew, but also since the Wii Shop has been terminated, so no real financial income is really lost to Nicalis or Nintendo, what with all the ports of the game anyways. At least, I believe (and also with Pixel's permission).

Why am I bringing this up in the first place, you may ask? Well, seeing how well crafted the demo was, with the physics and all, and how I just came in the light of news for this. It just makes me real sad seeing this project halted, despite the original creator giving it a thumbs up (hell, some collaborators gifted Pixel a custom DS and 2 games just because he didn't have one at the time!). Plus, I'm a big CS fan myself.

And, to not make me look like an asshole, I'd be willing to "try" to collaborate on something, anything, if the project is not entirely done (although I have zero experience with coding or hacking or modding :/). Maybe someone out there is going rogue and working on the project right now, who knows? This is just to shine light on a forgotten port of one of my favorite games anyways.

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know of the official DSiWare version?

Actually I do, but I don't have a DSi, just a DS Lite (mainly for the Slot-2)

Well, if you don't have a DSi, you can play the Sega Genesis port.

Wait, there's a Sega Genesis port? HOLY COW! I never knew about this, thank you!

Although, not sure if it is 100% functional in JEnesisDS. There have been some small compatibility issues on games, and I'm not sure if homebrew runs just as fine. I'll give it a shot though.

Reactions: Aphelios and banjo2

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, update: it doesn't boot up :(

An older version did, though (0.3.3, apparently) but I dunno what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I just need the .bin file, right?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a Memory Expansion Pak, as the ROM is bigger than 3MB.

Also, you should try this version of the emulator instead.

Oooo, fancy. Does it need to be in the same folder as the MD/Genesis ROMs or just anywhere in the SD card?

Also, a memory expansion pak? For a Genesis game? Never heard of that before.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooo, fancy. Does it need to be in the same folder as the MD/Genesis ROMs or just anywhere in the SD card?
Anywhere. You also need either nds-hb-menu or TWLMenu++ to run it.
Also, a memory expansion pak? For a Genesis game? Never heard of that before.
It's the emulator that needs it, not the game.
The emulator needs it to store the ROM, as there isn't any room in the 4MB of the DS RAM, since it's reserved by the ARM binaries, or more simply, the emulator's code.

Reactions: banjo2

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anywhere. You also need either nds-hb-menu or TWLMenu++ to run it.

It's the emulator that needs it, not the game.
The emulator needs it to store the ROM, as there isn't any room in the 4MB of the DS RAM, since it's reserved by the ARM binaries, or more simply, the emulator's code.

Aww, darn. I can't use hb menu or TWLMenu because I'm using a DS Lite, like I've mentioned before :(

As far as I know, both of them need a DSi at least, so...

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh, okidoki. And the memory extension? Dunno what do to with that exactly (On hindsight, I should've asked this on my last reply :unsure:).

Last edited by _Lusty,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahhh, okidoki. And the memory extension? Dunno what do to with that exactly (On hindsight, I should've asked this on my last reply :unsure:).
The memory expansion plugs into the GBA cartridge slot. The official one was included with the Opera browser, but it is probably much easier to get an EZFlash 3-in-1 (so called because it contains a rumble pack, memory expansion, and flashcart).

_Lusty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The memory expansion plugs into the GBA cartridge slot. The official one was included with the Opera browser, but it is probably much easier to get an EZFlash 3-in-1 (so called because it contains a rumble pack, memory expansion, and flashcart).

Ahhh, gotcha. I sadly don't have it though, and I never opted for the 3-in-1 anyways since I just wanted an easy way to play GBA games flawlessly into Slot-2, so I got the EZ-Omega instead. Oh well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    i want a meatball sandwich
    now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bout time you came out and admitted it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya talks to himself often
    +1
  • btei @ btei:
    papa johns makes me SHIT
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hello everyone
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Meatballs.

Lol.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Meatballs. Lol.