Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The only logical thing to do is not support the platforms when they drop physical media. Fuck all of them. Let them fail.
Xbox wouldn't be going this route if Game Pass and digital sales combined didn't already far exceed their physical sales revenue, though. I'm not in favor of the move, but it does feel somewhat inevitable, and I doubt Sony will be too far behind. Nintendo will be the last holdout for a generation or two before they finally figure out how to design a competent online environment/storefront.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Game Pass
What sad is that the reason why this is succeeding is because they keep increasing game prices to the point where they have priced people out of being able to buy games. It feels like a better deal to pay for services like Game Pass than it does spending 70$ for the base game of any series. Worst of all, is the fact that basically no game is released "full" these days, which pushes people away even more.
This is why I honestly keep saying that piracy is the best options for people. When your only options are paying WAY too much for this year's installment of generic open world or shooter base game and DLC or paying too much for a streaming service that you most likely only use for handful of games, the best option is just pirate them.

Reactions: zfreeman and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What sad is that the reason why this is succeeding is because they keep increasing game prices to the point where they have priced people out of being able to buy games.
That's part of it I'm sure, in some countries more than others, but there's also just brand new growth in the gaming market to account for. If you're starting from square zero with no library whatsoever, Game Pass is a really good means by which to figure out what types of games and genres appeal to you. It's a cheaper and far more convenient RedBox/GameFly, and that probably helps some people to reduce or stop their impulse buys for new releases as well.

Reactions: The Catboy

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh. I'm mixed. When's the last time that a big Xbox exclusive came out and only came out on Xbox?
My colleagues at GameStop (Canadian stores are not managed like US stores) even sorta agree.

It just feels like Xbox has been phasing out physical media ever since the Series X came out because they want to push digital with the Series S

Reactions: zfreeman

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's part of it I'm sure, in some countries more than others, but there's also just brand new growth in the gaming market to account for. If you're starting from square zero with no library whatsoever, Game Pass is a really good means by which to figure out what types of games and genres appeal to you. It's a cheaper and far more convenient RedBox/GameFly, and that probably helps some people to reduce or stop their impulse buys for new releases as well.
Oh yeah, there's that too. Hell, I've considered signing on to play Starfield because I am not buying an Xbox or installing Windows just to play one game. I am also not willing to pay 70$ for a digital game, that's stupid as fuck.

Reactions: Xzi

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Many "physical" xbox games are just the license to download and play the games, so there isn't much being lost anyway.

What I will never endorse is a console whose games are entirely cloud based, that sucks and kills the collector in me.

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im all about the physical games just because I think its ridiculous that they can ban your account and all your digital purchases go with it. That should be illegal.

But on the best buy note, maybe they will ise thw reclaimed spaces to actually carry components I would buy instead of a bunch of funk pops

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto