Using FATXplorer to upgrade an Xbox hard drive...

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These days using Chimp to upgrade an Xbox HDD is seen as an outdated method and that a better way to do it is to mod the console, FTP to it, extract the C partition, then build a new HDD on FATXplorer, repopulate it with the contents of the C partition, then lock it using the EEPROM backup file.

I have done this but whenever I do this the system "de-softmods" and I have to do a new softmod on the new HDD. Am I missing something about this procedure?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The "new" method I know of is XboxHDM, there's an "USB version" nowadays (which is a QEMU wrapper using a folder-based virtual drive plus your real future disk) :)

Anyway, it seems like the issue is when you're grabbing your C:\*, which on softmods is typically remounted (crappily) to a "Shadow C" disk image, so that careless file management/system updates/etc won't break the relatively complex chain involved in the autorunning exploit!

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "new" method I know of is XboxHDM, there's an "USB version" nowadays (which is a QEMU wrapper using a folder-based virtual drive plus your real future disk) :)

Anyway, it seems like the issue is when you're grabbing your C:\*, which on softmods is typically remounted (crappily) to a "Shadow C" disk image, so that careless file management/system updates/etc won't break the relatively complex chain involved in the autorunning exploit!

I have thought maybe the ShadowC thing is in play (I know how to read the "real" C partition properly) but I couldn't get anyone to confirm this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol