Thing to be aware of to avoid briking a wii?

NalgaLover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The laser of my wii broke so I wanted to mode it to play my old games by getting their iso and putting them in a hard drive. I already install The Homebrew channel with bootmii and bootmii2, I also disconnected the wii from wiiconnect24 to avoid any nintendo drones to detect it (don't know if that actually happens but i'm not finding out). The thing is, are there any other things I would need to be aware of to avoid my wii from getting brick? Specially because I want to play my wii games with usb loader gx or wiiflow but first I need to install the cISO files and that process scares me. Is it risky to install the cISOs needed? I plan to follow the tutorial of a site that I know it's safe but I'm still nervous about It.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The laser of my wii broke so I wanted to mode it to play my old games by getting their iso and putting them in a hard drive.
Swap out the laser assembly from a donor Wii for cheap, its better than forking out more than $30 for a 'refurbished' drive.

I also disconnected the wii from wiiconnect24 to avoid any nintendo drones to detect it
Is this sarcasm or something? Nintendo isn't going to care about the Wii anymore. The only use for WiiConnect24 is by using the revival service, RiiConnect24, to use the discontinued channels that use it, and going online with MKW and Wiimmfi. Its highly unlikely that you'll get swatted by the ninjas.

I would need to be aware of to avoid my wii from getting brick?
There's nothing to worry about if you're super careful with what you are installing on your Wii. Install Priiloader and BootMii as boot2, that way you have additional protection against bricks from installing cIOS and region changing for example, and you can recover your NAND backup at any time in case it gets damaged.

As long as you follow guides from a reliable source (except YouTube), then you'll be fine.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't do stupid things, it's that simple :P

Of course, to know what is stupid, you need to know how the Wii works, like the boot sequence and what can make it (or the correctly loaded Wii Menu) fail to work...

So, oversimplified:
Install Priiloader and BootMii as boot2
This - and the ModMii-recommended Wii Menu CIOSes (11, etc, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80)
Then before installing a channel of dubious origin (if you have to), check its titleID with ShowMiiWads - you'll be able to see if it's really a system title that would overwrite something else - and did I mention Priiloader for banner bricks?

Installing a CIOS (with the typical meaning of 249/250/etc) cannot by itself brick the console because nothing involved in the boot sequence is a title that uses IOS249/250/etc, and as I always repeat, the Wii only runs 1 application title and 1 IOS at any given time (indeed, the banner brick is a prominent exception to the more generalized claim that, usually, any installed but non-running title are for most purposes nonexistent)

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Specially because I want to play my wii games with usb loader gx or wiiflow but first I need to install the cISO files and that process scares me. Is it risky to install the cISOs needed?
Something wrong with WBFS files ?
Better reputation & easier to work with.
I also disconnected the wii from wiiconnect24 to avoid any nintendo drones to detect it (don't know if that actually happens but i'm not finding out).
Paranoia is not your friend, but do beware - Wii loving aliens can be very dangerous ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well ... Actually "once/doubled" ;) (My bad)

Please continue OP. I just played it by your wording, & had a little innocent fun.
BTW - OP = Original Poster (You) ;)

And relax, Wii crazy aliens won't be hounding you ;)

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto