Gaming Tesco UK Getting Rid off Wii U Stock? Premium Wii U's as low as £74 ($111)!

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Many will, however most of those will have provisos like "we will match any equivalent non discounted/sale offer" so it will probably not apply here.
Gotcha, that's unfortunate. Some of the bigger retail chains here will price match anything, it's how I got a PS4 on the cheap without waiting in line after 500 people just to get the deal at a grand opening of a new store. Haha

Whatever the reason for Tesco to sell off inventory like this, they probably came to realize crap like Wii U and Vita shouldn't be kept on store shelves. Something a lot of people don't understand even here is that shelf space is very expensive. If store wares stay on the shelves for months without selling they've already created a loss because anything else that could've been on those shelves making money is now money lost. Sometimes stores will sell off whatever crap they need to get rid off at a small loss because it's still better for them than have expensive wares just sit there doing nothing.

A local big chain here (Anttila) closed down several of its stores and the first things they sold off at discount were Nintendo Wii Us and games. That's how I got my Wind Waker HD Limited Edition for below retail on the standard game, haha. I haven't seen a Wii U sold for this low, though. Anttila had them going at one point for 150€ (about £115) for the basic 8GB white Wii U. I'm still kinda happy with my purchase (paid full retail one year after launch for my Wii U 32GB Premium Set). This year is for me all about slimming down my Nintendo possessions, though. After I'm done with this year's releases (e.g. Xenoblade X), I'm selling my Wii U. Need to recoup some of that money back while it still has resale value and then pick it up again a few years later when they're getting dumped on eBay like cordyceps in The Last of Us.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Gotcha, that's unfortunate. Some of the bigger retail chains here will price match anything, it's how I got a PS4 on the cheap without waiting in line after 500 people just to get the deal at a grand opening of a new store. Haha

Whatever the reason for Tesco to sell off inventory like this, they probably came to realize crap like Wii U and Vita shouldn't be kept on store shelves. Something a lot of people don't understand even here is that shelf space is very expensive. If store wares stay on the shelves for months without selling they've already created a loss because anything else that could've been on those shelves making money is now money lost. Sometimes stores will sell off whatever crap they need to get rid off at a small loss because it's still better for them than have expensive wares just sit there doing nothing.

A local big chain here (Anttila) closed down several of its stores and the first things they sold off at discount were Nintendo Wii Us and games. That's how I got my Wind Waker HD Limited Edition for below retail on the standard game, haha. I haven't seen a Wii U sold for this low, though. Anttila had them going at one point for 150€ (about £115) for the basic 8GB white Wii U. I'm still kinda happy with my purchase (paid full retail one year after launch for my Wii U 32GB Premium Set). This year is for me all about slimming down my Nintendo possessions, though. After I'm done with this year's releases (e.g. Xenoblade X), I'm selling my Wii U. Need to recoup some of that money back while it still has resale value and then pick it up again a few years later when they're getting dumped on eBay like cordyceps in The Last of Us.

This goes for any console though. I'll be keeping my Wii U aslong as Nintendo are pumping out good games. You could easily ditch a PS4 for 4-5 years then pick up one on the cheap with a nice library of games.

This is actually how I do my gaming for every console other than the wii U (because I like having a console which the family can enjoy and where local multiplayer is fun).

I bought a PS3 near the end of last gen. I buy my PC games 1 year after release for cheap shit.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
ergh.. yeah! A Tescos receipt showing a minus of -£239.99p when the console is selling @£239.99p then how did it add up to a total of £84.99p in the end then genius??? Have you ever thought it might of been a misprint? or just someone being a complete arse!

When I worked at John Lewis I reduced tons of toy products that cost £200 (the Lego Tower Bridge) and its reduced price was £99 so it's entirely possible and as you're aware Wii U's not selling well at all so it makes sense Tesco's wanting to get rid off it.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aaaaaand people are already selling their Wii U on ebay now. Shows that people don't actually buy the Wii U to play games in the first place.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Aaaaaand people are already selling their Wii U on ebay now. Shows that people don't actually buy the Wii U to play games in the first place.
At steeply discounted prices, rarely are the ones who want to play the system the ones who buy them. People see a way to make a profit and they run with it.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
At steeply discounted prices, rarely are the ones who want to play the system the ones who buy them. People see a way to make a profit and they run with it.
Spot on.

It's what's going to happen to the Ness' amiibo figures, and Shulk and Pac-Man and so on. It'll be crazy high to get Ness on eBay.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is largely a EU discussion but am I missing something here?

I have been searching for a second WiiU and can't find one at a decent used price. I know TSK lucked out, but I just do t see any that are in God shape for less than $170 and for that price I would just get a refurb with a warrantee.

Also, I don't want to hear any more complaining about how cheap the games are in the US. $111 for a new U is insane. :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
You would think that people that had that chance would at the least pass that on to others that desperately want a wiiu and just cannot afford to spend £229.00 on one which is alot of money to many people out there but no most of them go on sites like ebay.co.uk to be greedy and make a big profit out of it for themselves, I really do hate people that do that sort of thing! They obviously have alot of money in the first instance to just go and buy say 10 units so why want to make more! IT SUCKS in my opinion! :angry:

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You would think that people that had that chance would at the least pass that on to others that desperately want a wiiu and just cannot afford to spend £229.00 on one which is alot of money to many people out there but no most of them go on sites like ebay.co.uk to be greedy and make a big profit out of it for themselves, I really do hate people that do that sort of thing! They obviously have alot of money in the first instance to just go and buy say 10 units so why want to make more! IT SUCKS in my opinion! :angry:

I'm guessing you rang Tesco and confirmed this to be true? You seem to have changed your tune since yesterday, lol.

Reactions: Reecey

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Welp, if they can't afford £200+ then most likely they're not able to buy £30 games either for it due to their tight budget.

I can't wait for February 20th! It's gonna be such an exciting day! And you know why, Reece! :D

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Seriously, what WiiCube_2013 said. If you can't afford a £200+ purchase of a console, then how are you going to afford additional controllers, accessories, not to mention games? It's not like the Wii U is very expensive. It's relatively cheap considering how many good games there are available for it.

People will always look for ways to make money. Don't act like a priest saying you wouldn't do the same. If you went into a store right now and they had a deal on Wii U for £70, you'd pile them up until you can't fit any more in your car and sell them for profit on eBay. I'm not judging anyone for that behavior, because I'd do the exactly same thing. There's nothing holy or unholy about this. Pass it on to others? Don't think so. Just because resellers rid you of the opportunity to buy a Wii U at a discount shouldn't make you pissed off. Why are you entitled to a discount in the first place? It's first come, first served and part of life, so move on.

(This was not directed specifically at Reecey, just general advice.)

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Welp, if they can't afford £200+ then most likely they're not able to buy £30 games either for it due to their tight budget.

I can't wait for February 20th! It's gonna be such an exciting day! And you know why, Reece! :D

How come m8, you have lost me have I missed something?. If its secret please PM me instead. :)

Release of the New Nintendo 3DS, is what you meant? cause yes I am buying one asap but its got to come on 9.2FW for me or below for my GW card to work or I will have to order it from 365games.co.uk instead, that would be a major bummer if I had to though :( but yes really exciting for me as well! :)

Edit: I'm in a better mood today, all is good everyone :yay: also no I didn't ring Tesco I got over my rant last night, this morning so I really cannot be bothered, it was a good rant though at the time but this is what makes GBATemp so much better and different than max console which sucks you can get things of your back and chat about it and all be good friends the next day but also sorry if I offended anyone and sorry if you like max site though but really I don't :)

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
How come m8, you have lost me have I missed something?. If its secret please PM me instead. :)

Release of the New Nintendo 3DS, is what you meant? cause yes I am buying one asap but its got to come on 9.2FW for me or below for my GW card to work or I will have to order it from 365games.co.uk instead, that would be a major bummer if I had to though :( but yes really exciting for me as well! :)

Edit: I'm in a better mood today, all is good everyone :yay: also no I didn't ring Tesco I got over my rant last night, this morning so I really cannot be bothered, it was a good rant though at the time but this is what makes GBATemp so much better and different than max console which sucks you can get things of your back and chat about it and all be good friends the next day but also sorry if I offended anyone and sorry if you like max site though but really I don't :)

I was talking about the new amiibos that are coming out on February 20th which are Shulk, King Dedede, Meta Knight along with others (Mega Man & Sonic) but the right money's on those three. I'm going to run down the GAME branches and Toys R Us' stores nearby because Shulk is already going for £20-30! Still, the most valuable is without a doubt the Ness amiibo. OMG OMG OMG! April 4 (The hottest: Ness, Pac-Man, Lucina, Robin) is gonna be even 'awesomer'!:lol:

Btw, I've got a deal on Villager + Rosalina for £29 today and the price is all right as it includes shipping too and Rosalina is going for that price alone.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I was talking about the new amiibos that are coming out on February 20th which are Shulk, King Dedede, Meta Knight along with others (Mega Man & Sonic) but the right money's on those three. I'm going to run down the GAME branches and Toys R Us' stores nearby because Shulk is already going for £20-30! Still, the most valuable is without a doubt the Ness amiibo. OMG OMG OMG! April 4 (The hottest: Ness, Pac-Man, Lucina, Robin) is gonna be even 'awesomer'!:lol:

Btw, I've got a deal on Villager + Rosalina for £29 today and the price is all right as it includes shipping too and Rosalina is going for that price alone.

I haven't bought any Amiibos yet, sadly but I will do for sure, I'm really into them I think there rather cool, I'm jealous!, I'm hoping for a Yoshi/Mario/Luigi or something real soon but yes they are quite expensive for what they are :O Actually I've only just got another copy of MK8 & SM3DW back from weekend, Sunday because I gave my original ones away to my brothers little lad for a good cause so its really cool just to have MK8 back for some fun again, I really missed it badly, one of the best WiiU titles at this present day I think. :) I have SSB as well but it just didn't do it for me like SSBB on the Wii did and I don't know why, it just lacks that something to me! :(

Edit: Little Mac @Amazon m8 is a whopping £44.99p, I was like :blink: + :shit: + :wacko:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-am...=UTF8&qid=1423080671&sr=1-21&keywords=amiibos

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously, what WiiCube_2013 said. If you can't afford a £200+ purchase of a console, then how are you going to afford additional controllers, accessories, not to mention games? It's not like the Wii U is very expensive. It's relatively cheap considering how many good games there are available for it.

Even Nintendo consoles seem to have gone online only as the way for co-op/multiplayer and it comes with a controller to use it (I install a lot of TVs/sound systems and you might be stunned just how many people just have the controller that came in the box), and what accessories beyond maybe a better video/audio cable are you going to need (and given we are in HDMI world then it is not like you need to spend any money on a cable any more there)
Equally £10-£20 gets you some more or less playable games, especially if you just want some games to play as long as they more or less work ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...76193011,p_36:389052011&bbn=676193011&ie=UTF8 ), and that is Amazon prices -- go to car boot sales or some local electronics shops and you can get some actual deals.

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Went to three local tescos, the first two had sold out the last couple they had and have had nothing but phone calls from other stores asking for stock. They are only stocking sony and ms and the larger stores will stock 3ds.

The two that had sold out only had the £89 models when the deal was put out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a sort of follow up Tesco just posted a £6.4 billion loss (one of the top ten losses in UK business history), now I am not going to read too much into it as most of it seems tied to "falling property values" which is a bit account speaky for me considering this is more supermarket/services company and not real estate magnates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32408661

On the Wii U and Vita stuff then I doubt it was a loss leader as much as a stock clearance to find room for the otherwise fairly high traffic areas (I tend to see such things in fairly prominent locations in the shops), however I will leave the speculation for others.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
The things tesco were selling off cheaply were old bundles... :s

I got a £49 vita 3G. People were going nuts, claiming it was £149 in theirs... Yes. It was. Because it was a vita 2.0.

All oled vita. Certain older Wii-U bundles. Most old 3DS non XL bundles. That was all that was sold off.

Not some huge worrying sign of the state of Wii U or Vita. Just streamlining stock.

These sales were genuine. If you go out hunting. Call round. Ask staff, they'll help you find the great stuff. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents