OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Disney's new thing.

Evoking pulp adventure movies of yore.
Dennis Quaid as JAEGER CLADE, legendary adventurer. It suits him.
"Strange Worlds" was also series of pulp sci fi comics with titles such as "SECRET OF THE FLYING SAUCER" and "MAROONED ON MARS" and "LOST IN A LOST WORLD" and "WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH" and so on.
The director's previous work was "Raya and the Last Dragon" which didn't exactly sit well with the audiences (I personally loved it) so I'll understand the skepticism in some.
The art style reminds me too much of the "Lightyear" abomination to be too optimistic about it. On the other hand who knows what that film could have been if they didn't force it into the Buzz Lightyear / Toy Story like stuffing a sausage casing. The meat of it could have been good, before being minced and squirted through a sieve into a barely rinsed intestine.

I love the ariship thing though. It's awesome.

We'll see.

pp_strangeworld_herobanner_243_b34d2354.jpeg

Walt-Disney-Animation-Studios-has-released-the-trailer-for-Strange-World.jpg

Reactions: hippy dave

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wonder how one bumps with this automerge function.

Anywhoo. Have any of you seen any talk about this cartoon outside of this thread?
I notice there is very little marketing going on. All other Disney releases get ads, posters, toys, merch well in advance, this one premieres in two weeks and there's nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero. What gives?
Is it just me or are they really not pushing this one that hard (or at all)?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd heard of Searcher Clade earlier this year, but I guess they changed the title? It's definitely flying under the radar for such an imminent release.

I liked it better when I'd only read some things about it, after watching the trailer it's just the same old shit again. The cast is good though so maybe it has a chance.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The director's previous work was "Raya and the Last Dragon" which didn't exactly sit well with the audiences
Rly? Are you sure it wasn't just a vocal minority of whingers (racists and the like)? It's got a pretty solid 7.3 on IMDB. We really liked it anyway.

Gonna try Strange World, looks like it could be fun (spouse concurs despite calling it a "bro fest") - but yeah I don't remember seeing much in the way of marketing, not that I expose myself to advertising more than I have to.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rly? Are you sure it wasn't just a vocal minority of whingers (racists and the like)? It's got a pretty solid 7.3 on IMDB. We really liked it anyway.
Most criticism I saw came from Asians but that was probably amplified by outrage bait outlets.
But the lukewarm response, the nonexistent box office results, the lack of any followup media, merch, spinoffs, references, memes, doesn't look like it's very popular to me. Compare it to Moana/Vaiana or Encanto.

The kids and I love the movie, we have all Lego sets and a Zizu plushie :ph34r:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, the movie is out and the general consensus is... "I had no idea this movie existed."
The first encounter most people had with this movie was reading articles about how it flopped in cinemas.
Looks like there really was criminally little marketing, especially for a Disney flick.
You'd think that with the decision to not distribute the movie in a major part of the world (Asia and Africa, basically) they would have pushed it harder in other areas to make up, but there was nary a peep from Disney. Maybe they decided to cut their losses and give up.

Oh well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw