Sony celebrates the sale of 3 million PS VR units

psvr 3M.PNG

Launched in 2016, the Playstation 4's VR peripheral has reportedly sold over 3 million units to date according to a blog post today on Playstation Blog. Along with the PS VR, 21.9 million PS VR games and experiences have been sold with the top 10 most-played titles being the following:
  1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  2. PlayStation VR Worlds
  3. Rec Room
  4. Resident Evil 7 biohazard
  5. The Playroom VR
  6. Job Simulator
  7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  8. Batman: Arkham VR
  9. Farpoint
  10. Superhot VR
At the time of writing, the PS VR's catalog boasts nearly 340 games and experiences with titles like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Blood & Truth, Déraciné and Firewall Zero Hour to hit the platform in the coming months.

To celebrate the milestone, Sony announced the launch date of two new games to enter the PS VR's growing lineup:

Creed: Rise To Glory September 25, 2018

creed.jpg

Jump into the ring with a premier VR boxing experience from Survios that puts you in the gloves of Adonis Creed on his journey from an underground amateur to a spotlight champion. Creed: Rise to Glory hits PlayStation VR September 25. Pre-orders begin today at 8am PT.

Evasion October 9, 2018

evasion.jpg

In Evasion, play as one of four unique hero classes within an elite special operations team charged with saving an embattled human colony. This intense, sci-fi first-person VR shooter from Archiact hits PlayStation VR October 9. Pre-orders begin today at 8am PT.

Are you among the 3 million PS VR owners? If so, what is your favorite game on the platform?

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: KingVamp and cyb0rg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those of you asking for a wireless model, would you really like to have a device with a big lithium battery (which are flamable/may explode) mounted that close to your eyes/face?

I don't think cables are going away anywhere anytime soon...
There are wireless modules for Vive/Vive Pro already, but AFAIK they're another $200 or $300 on top of the price of the Vive package itself and they do only last 2-3 hours max. We need another battery breakthrough for the consumer market.

The cord itself isn't a big deal, for me at least. FoV is the biggest issue with VR, which is why I'm looking forward to receiving my Pimax 5K.

Last edited by Xzi,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those of you asking for a wireless model, would you really like to have a device with a big lithium battery (which are flamable/may explode) mounted that close to your eyes/face?

That though has never scared me from regularly putting my cell phone or bluetooth earphones on my head. Yeah, I'd absolutely welcome that over this wired, easy to trip over without your eyes on the cords, nightmare mess we currently have (save for the smartphone VR units, which while considerably less powerful really are much more convenient due to the lack of wires, this is the best thing smartphone VR has going for it compared to the high end models at the moment).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Again though, its not about how its doing relatively to other VR units, because sure, it's doing well compared to the competition of other VR units (but so what? Extreme example: If there were businesses that literally only sold actual human shit, one of them would have to be the top dog in terms of selling the most shit, but being on top of that market doesn't mean that your business would be doing great just because you're selling better than the competition). But the ultimate point is that VR as a whole is not exactly doing gangbusters at the moment. What developer is going to focus solely on a VR game for an install base of 3 million users, when if they develop just for the PS4 they have an install base of nearly 80 million users to reach out to? The only ones I can think of are going to be those that are truly passionate about getting their game out in VR. Which, right now anyway, is going to largely be smaller and indie devs, as the AAA developers will continue to chase money and not so much focus on passion projects. Otherwise, what few AAA games you'll see will continue to just be ports of games already playable without VR. 3 million VR units in 2 years is OK, but again, look at the Kinect, it sold 8 million units in its first 60 days, and it was still ultimately deemed a failure by the gaming scene as a whole, I mean I sure don't know anyone that regularly plays any Kinect games anymore, and that was with an install base of about 24 million units when all was said and done.

I think a decade or later from now, VR might finally be up to the task of standing up for itself, but as it stands now, it will continue to be a niche market filled with releases that are mostly comparable to tech demos with a few AAA ports, and yes, the very rare occasional gem here and there. Frankly I find all of that to be a pretty hard sell for $300 on top of having to own a PS4 at that.
Why would you purposefully try to compare apples to oranges? There's no comparison more appropriate than comparing a VR headset to other VR headsets. As far as market share is concerned, PSVR sales surpass Oculus and Rift combined, they effectively own the market, it's just that the market is relatively small at this point in time. Sony is optimistic about PSVR and so am I, it's a low-cost device to manufacture that you can sell at a high margin because the value is in the technology and the ecosystem. I'm confident that as more VR Compatible games come out, sales can only go up.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I mean you kinda already do that with your mobile phone, and you also place a giant lithium battery in your lap when you use a laptop, so...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Yes, sure I would like it.

But the battery could also go in a belt pack.
The thing I care the least about is the battery catching fire, it won't happen and if by improbable chance it does I'm right there to stop the fire.

That said batteries are heavy, and it would be better to put that weight in a belt instead of supporting it with your neck, it's less uncomfortable.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see everyone talking about the price, being too high and still preventing people from accessing it.
I think I saw no one mentioning that it already dropped 100$ in a little more than 1 year of existence.

is that because of bad sale and they tried to sell more, or because of good sale and manufacturing price dropped?
price is dropping, it might drop more and become more affordable, maybe next gen or in 10 years it would be popular.

I don't think the price is that much of a barrier, when people want something they pay the price, it's just that it's not known and spread enough. Like cell phones, they were big and seen as privilege (for work only) in 90's and now who don't have his own? even if more expansive than a computer, a one month salary doesn't stop people having one!
so, is that really the price preventing people from wanting one? or they just are not interested enough to really want one whatever the price? it's (technologically) new, it's at its beginning and still not perfect.

Last edited by Cyan,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you purposefully try to compare apples to oranges? There's no comparison more appropriate than comparing a VR headset to other VR headsets. As far as market share is concerned, PSVR sales surpass Oculus and Rift combined, they effectively own the market, it's just that the market is relatively small at this point in time. Sony is optimistic about PSVR and so am I, it's a low-cost device to manufacture that you can sell at a high margin because the value is in the technology and the ecosystem. I'm confident that as more VR Compatible games come out, sales can only go up.

I made a point of saying its an extreme example to point out how silly relativity can be in the big scheme of things. Sure, PSVR is doing better than other VR units, but that means squat if VR overall is doing poorly, which newsflash, it is. 3 million units in 2 years is not a promising number. When the Kinect sold nearly 3 times that in only 2 months and it was still a failure, I think its something to note that this expensive game accessory is selling at a slower rate than that. Pretty sure devs are noticing as well. It's just a tech that's not catching on yet. As such if you like the many many tech demos the PSVR has, the few ports of AAA games that are already fully playable without VR, and the 2 or 3 actually decent full games made specifically for the tech, then that's cool, but surely you must recognize that what that all adds up to is a tech that is going to fail to get anything substantial before Sony moves on to the PS5. I'm still waiting for the killer VR app, and I'm still not seeing it. Best I've seen are a few tech demos and VRchat, but that shit isn't going to get me to pay $300 or more on a VR unit, not when so many higher quality games are coming out for the base PS4 and don't require an extra few hundred dollar investment.

I don't disagree that there can be a future for VR, but I'm just saying that right now, it's not selling well, the PSVR is selling better than the competition, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still not selling well. Maybe in another decade or so the general public will be more interested in the tech as it has grown by that point, but for now it will continue to be niche and as such will continue to miss out on the exciting unique high quality experiences that make the whole format so exciting to begin with.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I made a point of saying its an extreme example to point out how silly relativity can be in the big scheme of things. Sure, PSVR is doing better than other VR units, but that means squat if VR overall is doing poorly, which newsflash, it is. 3 million units in 2 years is not a promising number. When the Kinect sold nearly 3 times that in only 2 months and it was still a failure, I think its something to note that this expensive game accessory is selling at a slower rate than that. Pretty sure devs are noticing as well. It's just a tech that's not catching on yet. As such if you like the many many tech demos the PSVR has, the few ports of AAA games that are already fully playable without VR, and the 2 or 3 actually decent full games made specifically for the tech, then that's cool, but surely you must recognize that what that all adds up to is a tech that is going to fail to get anything substantial before Sony moves on to the PS5. I'm still waiting for the killer VR app, and I'm still not seeing it. Best I've seen are a few tech demos and VRchat, but that shit isn't going to get me to pay $300 or more on a VR unit, not when so many higher quality games are coming out for the base PS4 and don't require an extra few hundred dollar investment.

I don't disagree that there can be a future for VR, but I'm just saying that right now, it's not selling well, the PSVR is selling better than the competition, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still not selling well. Maybe in another decade or so the general public will be more interested in the tech as it has grown by that point, but for now it will continue to be niche and as such will continue to miss out on the exciting unique high quality experiences that make the whole format so exciting to begin with.
I wouldn't say that it's doing poorly, it's the first generation of a newly developed technology, barring some poor attempts in the 90's. The adoption rate is quite good, all things considered. Look at the sales of consoles in Gen 1 if you need a comparison. At the end of the day what's going to draw customers in is killer apps, and right now they're few and far between. Few companies besides Bethesda have released any of their flagship games for VR-enabled system, but I expect that to change with time.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The adoption rate is quite good, all things considered. Look at the sales of consoles in Gen 1 if you need a comparison.
Actually the first console Gen sold insanely well. Everyone wanted one of these strange pong video game things. It's on your TV, but you can interact with it! It's like somekind of strange magic! They where released just ~3 years after the moon landing. People craved for all kind of new technology back then. It's just that the amount of different consoles splitted the sales over a large amount of companies and systems. E.g. Nintendos Color TV-Game series alone sold over 3 million units.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean you kinda already do that with your mobile phone, and you also place a giant lithium battery in your lap when you use a laptop, so...
It wouldn't even have to be a large battery, nor would it have to be on your face - the receiver, processing unit and the battery could be on a belt or backpack, it would improve the product immensely. If we're talking about improvements though, what VR really needs right now is fans, or at least low-power peltier plates, that thing is a bloody hot box after 10 minutes.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wouldn't even have to be a large battery, nor would it have to be on your face - the receiver, processing unit and the battery could be on a belt or backpack, it would improve the product immensely. If we're talking about improvements though, what VR really needs right now is fans, or at least low-power peltier plates, that thing is a bloody hot box after 10 minutes.
At first, by fans, I though you meant fans like followers :P

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually the first console Gen sold insanely well. Everyone wanted one of these strange pong video game things. It's on your TV, but you can interact with it! It's like somekind of strange magic! They where released just ~3 years after the moon landing. People craved for all kind of new technology back then. It's just that the amount of different consoles splitted the sales over a large amount of companies and systems. E.g. Nintendos Color TV-Game series alone sold over 3 million units.
They didn't sell "insanely well", Color-TV is an exception from the general rule. Gaming didn't properly kick off prior to the release of the 2600, most consoles sold an amount of units in the neighbourhood of 100-300 thousand units with the Coleco and the TV Games being notable exceptions. The systems covered the costs and showed promise for the future, that's about it. VR is already doing as well or better, with PSVR leading the charge since it's the most cost-effective entry point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch