Hardware So how bad is the interlacing on 3000s?

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can work with the size of the screen. It took a little getting used to at first for the game i was playing at that time, Crisis core, but now i'm totally used to it. switching between ds lite and pspgo is much more comfortable now too. before, whenever i switched from psp to ds lite, i was like whut, my mp3 stick has a bigger screen.
and playing gba/snes/genesis games in full screen looks much better on the smaller screen too.

but i agree with the pad thing. i tried to play that metal gear game on my old psp and already had trouble with the controls, since the stick controls snake and the cam is controlled by the pad. its been almost unplayable for me on the psp, its pretty much unplayable on the go xD but i dont mind missing that one. not regretting this purchase

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I've read that the 3000's buttons are great, at least compared to the 1000s and that the ghosting is gone, but now that I'm actively looking into buying one, I keep reading about the interlacing.
you keep reading about it because it is blown out of proportion

So is it really that bad?
I have played Patapon, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, ATF Offroad Fury Blazin Trails, Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition, and NFS Carbon Own the City, and have not noticed scanlines in them in any capacity, even after purposefully straining my eyes trying to look for them

where are the scanlines? *scratches head*

The only game I have ever noticed it, is this month when I finally played Patchwork Heroes, but it's during a choppy part that happens before each level. It doesn't even happen during gameplay!

I've tried to look for videos of it, but theres basically just two, one showing randomly slowed down footage and bad screenshots of disgea.
After playing Patchwork heroes, I now have to wonder if Disgaea for PSP just has really shitty framerate or something. After all it's a PS2 port.

I never had a gameboy micro, but i believe they have those clicky buttons too, right? like the DS or the gameboy advance sp had?
Game Boy Micro has buttons similar to PSP 2k/3k actually and the dpad is probably comparable to DS Lite.
I like the system in that regard because I dislike the clicky style that DSi and 3DS XL uses.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe there's a setting that reduces the scanlines, though the colors aren't as vivid if you change it.
Which setting is this? Maybe I will take a look.

The Go's screen is supposed to be great, fixing the problem of the 3000.
the 3000 fixes all the problems of the Go (plays UMDs, bigger screen, bigger buttons/dpad, better form factor)

If you're willing to sacrifice the vividness of the screen to reduce the scanlines, still want a big screen, and want to use UMDs: just grab a 2000 (unless you really want an internal microphone).
You forgot to mention ghosting. You're not just sacrificing vibrant colors to get rid of the scanlines, you're just trading one problem (scanlines) for another (ghosting). The whole idea of being scared into getting a 2000 makes no logical sense.

If 2000 has ghosting, and 3000 has no scanlines or ghosting, get a 3000
if 2000 has ghosting, and 3000 has scanlines, you get the one with more vibrant colors (i.e. 3000)

The only reason to get 2000 is if the scanlines is so much a bigger problem than the ghosting that you're willing to give up the vibrant colors for it. But this is impossible unless either my 3000 somehow has a better screen than the others or the people who started the scanline rumors had screens that are much worse.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which setting is this? Maybe I will take a look.

the 3000 fixes all the problems of the Go (plays UMDs, bigger screen, bigger buttons/dpad, better form factor)

You forgot to mention ghosting. You're not just sacrificing vibrant colors to get rid of the scanlines, you're just trading one problem (scanlines) for another (ghosting). The whole idea of being scared into getting a 2000 makes no logical sense.

If 2000 has ghosting, and 3000 has no scanlines or ghosting, get a 3000
if 2000 has ghosting, and 3000 has scanlines, you get the one with more vibrant colors (i.e. 3000)

The only reason to get 2000 is if the scanlines is so much a bigger problem than the ghosting that you're willing to give up the vibrant colors for it. But this is impossible unless either my 3000 somehow has a better screen than the others or the people who started the scanline rumors had screens that are much worse.
It's a setting under Display if I remember correctly. The settings are Wide and Standard. I don't remember what it's called, though. Wide has the more vivid colors but with scanlines, while Standard has the more washed out colors but without scanlines. Some people are more sensitive to the scanlines, remember not everyone has the same eyes.

There are also other reasons to grab different models. I prefer my 2000 since I can easily recover it from a bricking with my old Pandora battery and memory stick, so I'm more willing to do a wider range of stuff to it and its NAND. I like the Go for portability. I may not be able to do as much with it, but a small emulation handheld is all I need on most trips. It all comes down to personal taste.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about other reasons I'm strictly talking about the screen. If you want to mod your PSP fine but don't let it derail the fact that 3000's screen is better. That's another thing by the way, we constantly hear from people who own 2000s for hacking. But I don't want your bias toward the 2000 and denial over the fact that the 3000 is superior.

And for the record I *loved* the 2000. I still wanted a 3000 both for the vibrant colors and to check out these cool scan lines I keep hearing about. Even before i owned a 3000 I borrowed my brother's 3000 and played Killzone Liberation on it for the express purpose of trying to notice the scanlines. Nada. Nothing. "oh but zeello of course you won't see them in that game, you needed a 3d game like a racer where the camera keeps shifting"

Lies. So much lies.:sleep:

I realized a crazy thing the other day, I will have to get Disgaea on PSP a game I would have not gotten in a million years, but now I want to get just to see where this whole thing started.

Also two things had occurred to me while thinking about it. 1) in the PS2 version, Laharl darts around the screen incredibly quickly, if he moved slower then who knows maybe this whole fiasco might have been avoided. 2) He is a light colored object on a dark background. If it was the other way around it would maximizing ghosting, but since it is the opposite it minimizes ghosting and therefore people were able to use that to make 2000 look better in the comparisons. (though this still disregards the 3000's superior colors) Just because 2000 turns up as better in one part of one game does not mean it is the better screen overall, especially when for every one instance like this there are 99 other instances where it can be "proven" using the same method that the 3000's screen is better.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And p.s. in a previous post I said I never noticed Scanlines in any of those games I listed. Well last night I noticed scanlines in Patapon and it happens in this screen.
patapon-worldMap.gif

To the left/right there are even more locations than the ones shown, if you use left/right or L/R to scroll through them all quickly then the word balloons (the ones depicting images of meat, etc) become slightly fuzzy when they slide across the screen really fast.

136667195150.gif

It ticks me off just thinking about it. Something so miniscule and pointless and which would be even worse on a 2000. Xbox 360 had motion blur, much worse than scanlines and was touted as a FEATURE.

Attachments

• patapon-worldMap.gif
    patapon-worldMap.gif
    64.9 KB · Views: 295

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: never mind, removed post

No way to actually delete a post so I'll just talk about something else then. Disgaea for PSP. GameStop lists the download for 9.99 US. Not a bad price. But when I go to PlayStation website the game is not listed. Dunno why. I have been looking up PSN prices of games lately but some games are conspicuously absent.

autocorrect changes gamestop to GameStop and playstation to PlayStation. That way I look like a tool.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for bumping this but just wanted to have my say on the PSP3000. I got one last week prior to that had both the 1000 and the 2000 at certain points since the PSP released. I never bothered with the 3000 because I just took what I kept reading about the screen problems with interlacing as gospel and thought that it wouldn't be any good.

Like I said, I've had it a week now and I'm gutted I didn't get one of these sooner. The quality in the image blows the 1000 and 2000 out of the water. The interlacing issue is minimal at best and is BARELY noticeable. Also, there is no blurring anymore as there was on the older PSP's. Anyone thinking about getting a PSP this late in its life, I would recommend the 3000 over the other models without question.

Reactions: zeello

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSP 2000's ghosting is horrible for fast action games, sorry but if you don't notice it then you're surely blind and the screen on the PSP 2000 is old tech somewhere between 16ms to 32ms response time which is 2-4 frames input lag.

On the other hand the PSP 3000's wide color space is totally off and just over saturated but the screen itself is much faster response then the PSP 2000's screen, it's about 8ms to 16ms response time which is 1-2 frames of input lag and half of the PSP 2000's response time thus the ghosting issues are pretty much gone or very unnoticeable.

As for the scanline issues with the PSP 3000's screen it not all that bad and hardly noticeable, heck when playing emulators of old arcade games or gaming consoles I even put on scanlines just to replicate the look of old arcade machines and CRT TV/monitors back in the days.

Bottom line is you can't stand ghosting and input lag get a PSP 3000 and keep the color space on normal for a less vivid but overall more natural picture (it's still more vivid when compared to a PSP 2000's screen even on normal color space) plus it's much more easy to find and still can be modded these days (back in the days people just wanted to another reason not to buy a PSP 3000 because it was not moddable).

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol its sad, I've noticed scanlines way more over time now that I've finally noticed them. So its like my brain had to be taught to notice them. (probably not really but it is odd that i genuinely couldnt notice them before whereas now I see them all the time) (though i own a silver usa 3000, whereas my last one was a jp black 3000, so maybe that had something to do with it but probably not) and I do admire the 2000's form factor, though its not a deal breaker.

I had no idea 2000 had input lag, in all my time playing I've never noticed it. Im guessing perhaps its no worse than what you'd get on a console, what with hdtvs and wireless controllers. But if 3000 is superior, hey, cool beans.

It almost sounds absurd to say that a screen could be too colorful. Not nearly as dumb as saying 30 fps makes games more cinematic than a higher frame rate (*cough* Ubisoft) but you get what I'm saying. Sometimes shinier is better. Back when I was debating in these threads, I briefly tried once or twice switching off wide color gamut on the 3000. But I quickly found this pointless because I can't imagine why anyone would use this setting. I did it to find out whether 3000 can effectively act as a 2000 (and would therefore objevtively be the better model) but at some point i was like forget it. Because in a vacuum if you never had a 2000 but owned a 3000, and have a choice between making a black screen 100 percent black, or making it nasty washed out black where you can see the backlight, why choose the latter. At least with scanlines,I can at least see why someone wouldn't want them.

Come to think of it maybe the reason some ppl find the colors weird is because the games were optimized for PSP 1000 and 2000 screens, and game devs cranked up the dial on certain colors so they would show better. But I guess even if that were true, it doesn't make the 3000 any better, its just finger pointing.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The wide color space on the PSP 3000 makes the colors over saturated and not natural, it may look better to the eyes because the colors pop out more but it's not the way the devs intended the for the colors to look on a PSP.

Having the color space to normal on a PSP 3000 still gives a better over picture than that of a PSP 2000 and by doing so you're not removing the scanline issues (it's in the hardware and has nothing to do with color space) you're just adjusting the colors to look more natural and thus making the scanlines a lot less visible but it's still there.

Regardless on color space being used on the PSP 3000 the fast response time, less input lag and less ghosting from the PSP 3000's screen is still in full effect it's just like said above the scanlines are a lot less visible on normal color space at the expense on a less vivid and slightly washed out picture (after a few days you'll forget ever using the wide color space).

Reactions: Eleganto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Herow!