Hacking Hardware Repairing Switch Lite CLK/D point Pad

rash1613

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. While trying to install the HWFLY in a lite, I accidentally ripped the CLK/D point pad. I still get a diode reading of around 550 on each side of the pad, but with the battery plugged in I get 0V on top and 0.9V on bottom. All pads to the right get 1.8V, just the CLK/D and everything to the left towards the APU get 0V. Anyone know how to go about repairing the pads?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you

EDIT:
The top half of the CLK/D point reads about 0V to 0.07V at times. Bottom half is consistently 0.9V. Salvageable?
The top half of the C point on the right also looks ripped, 0V on top but bottom is still getting 1.8V and so are the pads between the D and C

dpointlabeled.png
dpoint2.png
dpoint.jpg

Last edited by rash1613,

testerhold

Trophies
XP
Country
Benin
Hello all. While trying to install the HWFLY in a lite, I accidentally ripped the CLK/D point pad. I still get a diode reading of around 550 on each side of the pad, but with the battery plugged in I get 0V on top and 0.9V on bottom. All pads to the right get 1.8V, just the CLK/D and everything to the left towards the APU get 0V. Anyone know how to go about repairing the pads?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you

EDIT:
The top half of the CLK/D point reads about 0V to 0.07V at times. Bottom half is consistently 0.9V. Salvageable?
The top half of the C point on the right also looks ripped, 0V on top but bottom is still getting 1.8V and so are the pads between the D and C

View attachment 369389View attachment 369390View attachment 369391
Did you solve it? Same problem here.

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hi, my current board has exactly as the same missing pads as those shown here (also due to hwfly mod 2nd time round).

Previously, it only have 1 missing pad (ie left pad) and once I bridge it to the pad on the right (which was intac before), the switch boots.

I then tried HWfly mod again but this time, the other pad (ie right pad) ripped off. There was exposed wire so I thought just bridged the 2 exposed pads so I tried by melting a "pool" of solder paste but that didn't fix it.

While doing diode test to make sure the copper are really exposed (get 0.774 and 0.65), I discover that there is a really really tiny copper exposed to ground in the middle of the 2 pads. I didn't want to scratch the middle area too much for fear of exposing the ground too much.

I have just put a small bit of pcb green mask and am going to try bridging it with a very thin wire (vs using pool of solder paste to ensure no short)

Reason why I'm sharing this (before "completing" or actual doing it) is because I'm having a REALLY HARD TIME getting the 0.1mm wire to stick to the exposed copper on the pads.

I thought I'll share this to see if others with the same problem but with better soldering skill (and with better equipments) had tried this (ie bridge the 2 pads avoiding the ground in the middle) to fix the problem.

Attachments

• 20240202_154123.jpg
    20240202_154123.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240202_142213.jpg
    20240202_142213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

hengtoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Success and works!

Just to share:
- I used green pcb mask and masked off the middle (several layers)
- Bridged the 2 points using solder paste

Switch Lite sprung back to life.

In summary, if you lose 1 or 2 or the pads as shown, make sure middle of the 2 pads are not touching ground and just bridge them.

Attachments

• 20240205_162730.jpg
    20240205_162730.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 29

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since