Hacking R4 card in 3ds

Mariete05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, I've got a problem with my copy r4 card. When I insert it to my 3ds a blank DS cartridge appears and, when I access it, an erro message appears (Am error has occurred. Hold down the POWER button to turn off the console...).
Idk what is the problem, I tried different firmwares but none seem to work.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've got a problem with my copy r4 card. When I insert it to my 3ds a blank DS cartridge appears and, when I access it, an erro message appears (Am error has occurred. Hold down the POWER button to turn off the console...).
Try setting the system time back. It could possibly be that the card has a timebomb. This means the cart quits working after a certain date.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does your 3DS have B9S/Luma3DS installed?
Does the R4 work in an old DS Lite or the very first DS model?

The error message on flashcarts usually means a blacklisting issue.

Mariete05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Does your 3DS have B9S/Luma3DS installed?
Does the R4 work in an old DS Lite or the very first DS model?

The error message on flashcarts usually means a blacklisting issue.
I do have BS9/Luma3ds and the card is brand new so idk. I bough it because I thought it would be useful but I do not really have DS, so I don't know how to check. Can this blacklisting issue be solved?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have BS9/Luma3ds
Hold "select" on boot to see which Luma3DS version you have, if you're on ver 7.0.5 or plus then you have b9s.
and the card is brand new so idk.
make sure it's formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size. Also check it with h2testw to make sure it's not faulty or fake.
Can this blacklisting issue be solved?
Make sure you have the correct kernel for your flashcart. Rule of thumb is if it has date on the cover like "20xx" then it usually has a timebomb. And if it's an old cart it could be just dead.
And yes, you can bypass the "timebomb" effect by using YSMenu. As for the Nintendo whitelist, i don't think it's the issue here.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do have BS9/Luma3ds and the card is brand new so idk. I bough it because I thought it would be useful but I do not really have DS, so I don't know how to check. Can this blacklisting issue be solved?
Any R4 blocking features are disabled by Luma3DS. "An error has occurred…" is the standard message when a blocked attempt of loading unlicensed software has been detected on stock systems. Such anti-features don't exist with CFW.

The issue must be somewhere else. Normally the kernel (software on flashcart µSD) has no impact on the stock error screen popping up. The firmware on the flashcart might have to be updated/repaired.

Reactions: r1vver

Mariete05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Any R4 blocking features are disabled by Luma3DS. "An error has occurred…" is the standard message when a blocked attempt of loading unlicensed software has been detected on stock systems. Such anti-features don't exist with CFW.

The issue must be somewhere else. Normally the kernel (software on flashcart µSD) has no impact on the stock error screen popping up. The firmware on the flashcart might have to be updated/repaired.
Ok, I understand. How do I update the firmware?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

https://www.r43ds.org/pages/R4-3DS-Firmware.html

Which card do you have?

I have a Gold Pro from 2017 still kicking.

Mariete05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Which card do you have?

I have a Gold Pro from 2017 still kicking.
That's the issue, as I did not inform myself before buying, I bought a fake r4, which supposedly works, but I have it pretty rough to find the kernel. It literally does not have any sticker on it and the box did not have any info on it
Post automatically merged:

Update: I tried to see the contents of the gamecart using GodMode9 and it says it is empty. That must be the issue. But Idk what may be failing for the gamecart to not detect the sd. I formated the SD to FAT32 32 kb as I was told but the issue continues. Is this just a hardware error or can something else be happening?

Last edited by Mariete05,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You can take a photo of the back side of the flashcart, where the PCB traces from the contacts are visible. Perhaps this will help to identify.

Reactions: tabzer

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: I tried to see the contents of the gamecart using GodMode9 and it says it is empty. That must be the issue.
No, I'm pretty sure Godmode9 does not work that way in this case. It certainly can't read the contents of the SD card in the flashcart, if that's what you're thinking.

If this is one of the really old R4s that auto-booted on a Nintendo DS (as opposed to showing up as a fake legitimate cart), you will need NTR Launcher in order to start it on a 3DS. TWiLight Menu might work as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol