Hacking Question Questions regarding EmuNAND after having CFW set up

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

I have had a few questions regarding the creating of an EmuNAND partition on a SD card which already has CFW set up.

Some quick notes:

- I have a clean NAND backup.
- I am currently running and planing on using Atmosphere via Kosmos.
- My microSD card is over 64 GB (256GB in fact) .
- I am planing on playing my legit games online ONLY in SysNAND and accessing the internet on my EmuNAND only once 90DNS and Incognito have been set up.
- Prior to installing CFW, all my games were installed on internal memory (I didn't use a microSD card).

My questions and concerns are:

- 1. If I am to backup all of the files on my microSD card, create the EmuNAND partion, knowing it will wipe the card, and then place these files in the new partition - will it work normally as before, or will there be some compatability issues (or issues of any kind in relation to this)?
- 2. At what point do I perform the clean NAND restoration (before or after the creation of the EmuNAND partition)?
- 3. I have played some of my legit singleplayer games offline on CFW and I have edited their save files (to get more coins, etc.). Can I play these games in SysNAND after the creatino of EmuNAND without a risk of getting banned?
  • 3.1 Will the games installed on my internal storage and thus in SysNAND even show up in EmuNAND?
  • 3.2 Will trying to launch a legit game in SysNAND after NAND restoration restore the game's save to the one at the time of making the backup or will it launch the latest save point created (in this case the one I have made in CFW)?
  • 3.3 I had made a cloud save backup of my legit games prior ot installing CFW. Does restoring that cloud save or using the cloud save feature in any way after EmuNAND is set up pose a risk of a ban?
  • 3.4 Will my legit singleplayer games share the same save files across SysNAND and EmuNAND (being able to swap between both and continue where I have left off), or once EmuNAND is set up they will act like two seperate save file, thus keeping progress only made in their related partition?
  • 3.5 Can I play legit games (like Smash for example) offline in singleplayer on EmuNAND, make some singleplayer progress and then go back online on SysNAND without a risk of getting banned? (this is in relation to 3.4 in the case that save files are shared across both SysNAND and EmuNAND)
- 4. Do cart. games behave differently than ones installed on internal memery in EmuNAND?

Well that was harder to put into words than I thought, but here they are. I hope you guys can alleviate some of my concerns regarding EmuNAND, because I have been putting off setting it up for quite some time.

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask for further clarification if some points don't make a lot of sense.

olpmh1

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
interested to know the outcome.Tried to update firmware but something went wrong so now having to recreate the emunand

olpmh1

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've well and truly messed up my switch trying to upgrade so I'd tread carefully. Think I'm gonna have to start from scratch

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've well and truly messed up my switch trying to upgrade so I'd tread carefully. Think I'm gonna have to start from scratch

That sound unpleasant, but I hope you get it right the second time around.
I, personally, have been spending the day making all manner of backups, downloading SD file configs from sdsetup dot com, watching videos and trying to find some information that could explain some the questions I've been having. I think I've answered some of my questions regarding save files across SysNAND and EmuNAND after reading this section https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/nandrestore/ and it seems that they are indeed completely separate and after a NAND restore it will restore the old save before the backup, which, I think answers points 3.1 and 3.4, but I'm still going to keep those up not to confuse people who might have the same questions and find this in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids