Hardware Question about swapping PS5 external hard drives

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, I know that you can only have one external hard drive active at any one time. This is clear and consistent with PS4.

However, on PS4 there is an option under Settings -> Devices -> USB Storage Devices that allows you to 'choose' from an external hard drive connected to the PS4. That way all you have to do is disconnect a hard drive from the relevant option and choose any of the other drives connected to the system.

To my surprise, I cannot find an equivalent option on the PS5. If I connect three external drives to the relevant ports (USB-C front, USB 3.1 at the back), the system will (seemingly randomly) pick one of the three and recognize it as an external drive. To get the PS5 to 'see' another drive, I not only have to disconnected it from the relevant software/system option, but also physically reach and remove all the devices but the one I want the PS5 to be connected to. It is needlessly arbitrary and surprisingly a huge backwards step over the previous implementation.

Is there something I am missing? Has this option be relocated to another menu option or described in another way? I searched through all relevant menu options but could not find it. As someone who has a vast library of PS4 games, some from PS Plus and some purchased, it is imperative that I am able to have all drives connected. I understand that only one drive will be 'accessible' at any one time, and that's consistent with PS4. But being forced to physically unplug a drive, and plug another - this is not consistent. This is in fact hugely inconvenient and I am so surprised Sony would go to such lengths to make the user experience even worse when it comes to external drives, knowing full well that the 685GB of internal memory is simply insufficient. Why not simply keep things at least on par with PS4?

Please tell me there is a way to do this that I am overlooking!

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I know that you can only have one external hard drive active at any one time. This is clear and consistent with PS4.

However, on PS4 there is an option under Settings -> Devices -> USB Storage Devices that allows you to 'choose' from an external hard drive connected to the PS4. That way all you have to do is disconnect a hard drive from the relevant option and choose any of the other drives connected to the system.

To my surprise, I cannot find an equivalent option on the PS5. If I connect three external drives to the relevant ports (USB-C front, USB 3.1 at the back), the system will (seemingly randomly) pick one of the three and recognize it as an external drive. To get the PS5 to 'see' another drive, I not only have to disconnected it from the relevant software/system option, but also physically reach and remove all the devices but the one I want the PS5 to be connected to. It is needlessly arbitrary and surprisingly a huge backwards step over the previous implementation.

Is there something I am missing? Has this option be relocated to another menu option or described in another way? I searched through all relevant menu options but could not find it. As someone who has a vast library of PS4 games, some from PS Plus and some purchased, it is imperative that I am able to have all drives connected. I understand that only one drive will be 'accessible' at any one time, and that's consistent with PS4. But being forced to physically unplug a drive, and plug another - this is not consistent. This is in fact hugely inconvenient and I am so surprised Sony would go to such lengths to make the user experience even worse when it comes to external drives, knowing full well that the 685GB of internal memory is simply insufficient. Why not simply keep things at least on par with PS4?

Please tell me there is a way to do this that I am overlooking!

im not sure what you are missing, but i can tell you, that its under storage options, the only thing i can think of is maybe your drive either doesnt work or too out of date?

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
knowing full well that the 685GB of internal memory is simply insufficient. Why not simply keep things at least on par with PS4?
Because there was an HDD in the Ps4 that costs about 50 bucks now for one TB and the same size as an High Speed m.2 SSD costs about 4 times the price. Thats why.

To your Problem:
I cannot reproduce the problem because i have only one External Drive but i think you could do it like this. Use something like that: USB HUB and attach all your drives to it. switch on the one you want. when you wanna change detach it through the ps5 menu and then switch of that usb port and then switch on the other usb port. that should work. BUT i did not find ANY switchable usb hub with USB 3.1 Gen2 so you would be limited to 5 gbps on your Drives. Alternately you could use External SSD Cases with switches and do basically the same.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Because there was an HDD in the Ps4 that costs about 50 bucks now for one TB and the same size as an High Speed m.2 SSD costs about 4 times the price. Thats why.
What does that have to do with swapping between external drives? Also, the PS5 has an expansion slot so you can put a new m.2 NVME drive in to expand it. While with the PS4 you just replaced the entire drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    +2
    "My party doesn't lie!!" ummm politician not lying? Has hell frozen over? lol
    +1
    Tries calling them
    +1
    Reach around and touch someone! AT&T!!!
    +1
    Especially me :D:evil::shy:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/-mouJmHo954?feature=shared&t=76