PS5 EDM-030 5v rail short

aidanisme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a EDM-030 board that has a short on the 5v rail.

I removed all the fuses that take in 5v F7001, F7002, F7003, F7502 which seems to have isolated the short to the entry of all those fuses, which doesn't leave me very many places to look.

I removed the MOSFETs that generate the 5v, still short before I removed the MOSFETs, I was getting 0.16v or something really low.

I decided to do some voltage injection since we've no fuses left to blow (lol), I put it at 1v and 2a, for some reason it will pull the full 2amp but at only 0.2v which is rather strange, I cannot find anything heating up, put a lot of IPA around the board and don't see anything obvious (I do not have a thermal camera but I should sometime this week).

Could I risk pumping more amperage into it? Since really it's only burning 0.4w of power, which I doubt is enough for a significant heat burst.

This board is driving me a bit mad, running out of things to pull off the board, the board is pristine so very unlikely a trace is short.

Does anyone know where the 5v goes excluding fuses mentioned? Should I remove the USB switch ICs too?
Post automatically merged:

Another strange symptom of this PS before I dismantled it, it'll not take the full 12v, usually around 11.6 or a slight bit under, which is unusual.

Last edited by aidanisme,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
IPA wont help much unless you have power draws more than 2W. 5v rail voltage injection is pretty safe to do so, I would suggest crank up the current also slowly turn up voltage but less than 5v to find your rabbit hole.

aidanisme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IPA wont help much unless you have power draws more than 2W. 5v rail voltage injection is pretty safe to do so, I would suggest crank up the current also slowly turn up voltage but less than 5v to find your rabbit hole.
Yeah I assumed it would be alright but didn’t want to take the risk, I’ll report back when I’m back at the work station.

I removed all the fuses anyway, so doubt I’d be able to cause any damage.

I ended up pumping it up to 4.9a, 0.6v, found the capacitor by the USB power switch IC, replaced it, short gone.

Put the mosfets back on and they blew lol (smelt horrible), might have put them on incorrectly, not sure... I have a donor board, so I will take them from it.

I took MOSFETs from a donor board and it now boots, to a BLOD, fantastic! lol.

Does anyone know on EDM-030 boards if there is a similar inductor to isolate the short from the APU side. I've noticed shorts around the MOSFET power regulation area, some caps are shorted and caps behind the APU but this doesn't necessarily mean the APU is fried, I injected some voltage but no specific area of the APU heats up, it seems fairly distributed which seems like normal behaviour.

I once had a BLOD EDM-033 board and the APU showed significant heat in 1 area of the APU with voltage injection, so there is still hope. I've seen other people just remove MOSFETs in order to isolate the short.

Edit: Hooked it up to UART and getting C0810002 HDMI IC Problem or Power Failure and 8081001, General power failure. This is with a BLOD, good chance the HDMI IC is fried?

Last edited by aidanisme,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto