Overwatch 2 has been confirmed, will have a story mode

The confirmation of previously leaked game reveals continues on, as Blizzcon 2019 kicks off. Blizzard has revealed a sequel to their popular hero shooter, Overwatch, with Overwatch 2 being announced via a cinematic story trailer. The sequel appears to be more narrative-involved, including co-op story missions that friends can complete together to learn more about the Overwatch world. There will also be hero missions, which will contain additional story, in a new "Hero Mode". Overwatch 2 will still feature online competitive content, with its new team versus team map, called Push, which has teams constantly trying to take control of a robot, and then maneuver it into the enemy's base. A new hero, Sojourn, was also revealed at the event, with more new characters and redesigns of existing characters to follow.

During the event, director Jeff Kaplan explained that player's progress and cosmetics from the original Overwatch will be transferable to Overwatch 2. Kaplan also claims that both games will have a "shared multiplayer environment", elaborating that both Overwatch and Overwatch 2 players can play against each other, and players of the original will be able to use new characters introduced in Overwatch 2.

UPDATE: Overwatch 2's platforms have been announced: PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hopefully they do but seeing the greed Blizzard has since it became one company with activision hmmm who knows

Yeah, I don’t think people have a ton of confidence in them right now. You’d think Blizzard would be more conscious of their image since people like their games and really want to like the company. They don’t make it easy, though.

I do wonder why they decided to make this a sequel instead of an expansion. I feel like it’s a combination of 1) more people will buy a numbered sequel than an expansion, regardless of content, and, 2) they plan on splitting the player base later and it’ll be easier to justify if the sequel’s already been out for a little while.

Reactions: Xzi and kumikochan

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, I don’t think people have a ton of confidence in them right now. You’d think Blizzard would be more conscious of their image since people like their games and really want to like the company. They don’t make it easy, though.

I do wonder why they decided to make this a sequel instead of an expansion. I feel like it’s a combination of 1) more people will buy a numbered sequel than an expansion, regardless of content, and, 2) they plan on splitting the player base later and it’ll be easier to justify if the sequel’s already been out for a little while.
Well you know how Activision advertising goes these days. Promise this today and after good scores everywhere add it six months later and then when everybody starts complaining they'll just say '' Ey we never said it was an expansion, we clearly called it a sequel and we let OW1 players join in on the fun more as a demo so they can decide later on if they want to purchase in ''. I def see them doing something shitty like that

D

Deleted User

I stopped playing Overwatch 1 because I got sick of the $40 closed beta nature of the game. 3 years and it's still unfinished. Was hoping Overwatch 2 would be to the first game what Pocket Monsters Stadium 2 was to the first Japan exclusive PMS. But alas, it's literally just an optional graphics update and a Space Invaders (un)inspired story mode.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Totally okay with this– I own the first on PC and was considering getting it on Switch just because I only really find myself gaming on the Switch lately, but also I couldn't justify paying full price for a game I already own.

But
give me a newer version with some co-op modes and I'm sold on the sequel.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Excited for diablo 4 but this is pretty meh. Feels like something that can be added to overwatch rather than a complete sequel. I bet the story will be disney like as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like Overwatch as a game, I really do. But the PVP is unbalanced and you always must play the "meta" to win or get a chance.
I don't understand the "balance" argument, never have, in any game. There's no reason why vastly different characters should be equally matched. I would go as far as to say that it's not unfair for the teams to have an unequal chance of success - attackers very well may have a harder time than defenders, or the other way around, depending on the map. This balance gap is supposed to be filled in with skill, and team composition. I haven't played Overwatch for quite some time, but when I did play it, it felt quite fair overall - in fact, it was handing out Eliminations too liberally. It almost seemed like just shooting in someone's general direction would net a kill - that was my issue with it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't understand the "balance" argument, never have, in any game. There's no reason why vastly different characters should be equally matched. I would go as far as to say that it's not unfair for the teams to have an unequal chance of success - attackers very well may have a harder time than defenders, or the other way around, depending on the map. This balance gap is supposed to be filled in with skill, and team composition. I haven't played Overwatch for quite some time, but when I did play it, it felt quite fair overall - in fact, it was handing out Eliminations too liberally. It almost seemed like just shooting in someone's general direction would net a kill - that was my issue with it.
Why I talk about balancing is that you get to the fact it's only a certain pack of heros you can play to stand a chance. The rest is overpowered and their counter is way to underpowered to meet it. Thats what I ment. You have to play the "meta" to win...

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overwatch... 2... So....... This is how they plan to fix their practically abandoned game with a dwindling player base?? Make a whole new $60 dollar game?!?

I'm sure people will hop right on this one... I'm happy to see the update frequency of OW is greater than Diablo.

That Activision influence is getting stronger $ and stronger $$$

Soon they'll release a game that's "pay by play"! A revolutionary new model where you pay a small fee only every time you launch the game!*

*No refunds for crashes and restarts

Last edited by Dax_Fame,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Street dealer - "Damn gurl, you are thick! Put down that Twinkie and let me holla at you for a...