New to upscaling textures

vgStallion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everybody! I spent a two consecutive months rebuilding my custom PC and adding ARGB and LED image panels, as well as cutting metal and making my own clear doors to replace the old ones.

Now, I am enjoying the fruits of my labor by gaming with the latest emulators again, except this time there have been tons of leaps and bounds in the technology in just 2-3 years. So as I have found that PCSX2 has the ability to both dump and load textures, and I recently learned how to use Cupscale, I am taking the opportunity to remaster whatever games I play with my daughter through emulators. I recently was going to play Mega Mam X7 through my PS2 with and HDMI upscaler, but the PC is now the obvious choice given the state of emulation.

I already am 95% done with collecting and processing images for Mega Man X7 and posting them soon once I figure out the best way to do that.

Totally new to this gig. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks everybody!

Reactions: CoolMe

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Enjoy" what? Enjoy being an asshole? enjoy upscaling textures? Or do you mean enjoy the site? 🤨 Or all the above?

Mission accomplished. I Knew you would say something about that. :rofl2:

• Love
Reactions: CoolMe

vgStallion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you guys know each other pretty well...A little humor goes a long way. Glad to make your acquaintance!

Have any of you posted huge zip files for download before? I never have done it before, and don't wanna screw it up if I can help it. Only ever did P2P transfer links before that had expirations, like WeTransfer, which is useless for this kind of thing. I guess I can make a free account with Mega (20GB) and dedicate that to this cause. Would prefer that then to mix this stuff up with personal accounts like Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive. If there is some other option you know of, please let me know.

Trying to get my ducks in line before I start posting the upscaled files for my first game in less than a week.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you guys know each other pretty well...A little humor goes a long way. Glad to make your acquaintance!
👋😎👍
Have any of you posted huge zip files for download before? I never have done it before, and don't wanna screw it up if I can help it. Only ever did P2P transfer links before that had expirations, like WeTransfer, which is useless for this kind of thing. I guess I can make a free account with Mega (20GB) and dedicate that to this cause. Would prefer that then to mix this stuff up with personal accounts like Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive. If there is some other option you know of, please let me know.

Trying to get my ducks in line before I start posting the upscaled files for my first game in less than a week.
A dedicated Mega account would work. It's nice to keep them all in one place. Are you trying to upload just 1 large zip file for all these upscaled textures? How large? I mean if it's large like +1GB or something, it's better to split them up. Or if they're made per-game, it's better to create individual zip files for each game. But i'm only assuming so.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also, you need to participate a little bit around the site before you can post links. Not much, just 10 comments iirc until you can do that i think.

Reactions: AncientBoi

vgStallion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
👋😎👍

A dedicated Mega account would work. It's nice to keep them all in one place. Are you trying to upload just 1 large zip file for all these upscaled textures? How large? I mean if it's large like +1GB or something, it's better to split them up. Or if they're made per-game, it's better to create individual zip files for each game. But i'm only assuming so.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also, you need to participate a little bit around the site before you can post links. Not much, just 10 comments iirc until you can do that i think.
Yeah...The intro post and questions were dual-purpose in nature - to gather intel and hit my comment quota at the same time. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

So far, I am estimating it will be a little under 4 GB prior to compression in the zip file. Not sure how much will be shaved off by the compression, but I assume the file will still be over 2 1/2 gigs. What do you think the cap should be for a single zip file? I was hoping to keep every game to just one zip file for neatness, but I suppose I could always make 2 or 3 separate zips if it makes a lot more sense.

Btw, I already manually separated out repetitive images from loading screens (massive number of duplicates) that added up to ~400MB and honestly made things look muddier. Even found that some textures were either flat colors with no features (waste of space; no point upres-ing flat colors), or a couple of things were glitched when playing the game, so I was able to identify which ones those were and deleted them so that the original un-glitched textures load. If it wasn't for all that, I would probably be close to > 4 1/4 GB pre-compression.

Definitely an art to trying to optimize this process. Don't exactly want to omit a bunch of stuff, but I don't want to deliver a trash bin of images, either.

Please let me know what you think about the file size and whether or not I should split it up if it is between 2 to 4 gigs. Thanks.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think the cap should be for a single zip file?
You mean if you want to upload the entire zip file to the site? That i don't know. But i don't think it supposed to hold that much. But i could be wrong.. I'll tag @FAST6191 he might be knowledgeable.. :wub:
Though you can just post the Mega link instead if upping it to the site, much better option imo. though i think Mega for free users is capped around 4GB (for a day) iirc. Better split them up.
Please let me know what you think about the file size and whether or not I should split it up if it is between 2 to 4 gigs.
I was speaking from the user's standpoint, not everyone's ready to download a 4GB zip from the get go just to try what it can do. So splitting them up makes sense indeed, smaller individual zips preferred.
Though i'm only giving you suggestions the choice is ultimately yours.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean if you want to upload the entire zip file to the site? That i don't know. But i don't think it supposed to hold that much. But i could be wrong.. I'll tag @FAST6191 he might be knowledgeable.. :wub:
Though you can just post the Mega link instead if upping it to the site, much better option imo. though i think Mega for free users is capped around 4GB (for a day) iirc. Better split them up.

I was speaking from the user's standpoint, not everyone's ready to download a 4GB zip from the get go just to try what it can do. So splitting them up makes sense indeed, smaller individual zips preferred.
Though i'm only giving you suggestions the choice is ultimately yours.

Yuk. to download 4 gigs on my slow azz laptop, Thats like 4.5 hours. :sad::(

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try to split the textures into 3 or 4 comparable size zips and post a link to the entire folder on Mega. Seems the most sensible way to handle it. Each zip should be under 1GB.
These zips should be individual preferably, and not dependent on each other (not split into part1, part2 etc.) when extracting. When the user downloads one zip file, it should extract without the need of the other files. If that makes sense..

Reactions: AncientBoi

vgStallion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These zips should be individual preferably, and not dependent on each other (not split into part1, part2 etc.) when extracting. When the user downloads one zip file, it should extract without the need of the other files. If that makes sense..
Absolutely. I was just going to manually select X number of files using Ctrl-Shift and right-click on those files to create my compressed zip archive. I would repeat that process for the remaining zip files I want to create until I am done going through the entire collection of textures. I would still name the zip files with a text string containing "1 of 4", "2 of 4", etc, so that the downloader is very aware of the fact that the zip file is not a complete collection of textures (and that other zip files exist), but each zip file would be stand-alone extractable and usable without the others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, you hi too