Nearly a decade after its launch, The Sims 4 is going free to play

header (2).jpg

In the far-flung past of 2014, EA released The Sims 4, the then, and now, latest entry in the longstanding Sims franchise. The game launched at a retail price of $59.99, though it dropped to $39.99 a couple of years after its release, and would eventually fall to $19.99 as a base price. Now, EA wants to drop the price of The Sims 4 to completely nothing--making the game free-to-play for everyone on console and PC. This change will go into effect on October 18th of this year, and on that same date, developer Maxis will showcase what's next for The Sims 4 in terms of future DLC. On the subject of DLC, it appears that will be the main way of monetizing the game, as it has been for a while--if you were to purchase every single DLC pack for The Sims 4, it would set you back about $870. Those that purchased The Sims 4 prior to going free-to-play will receive the Desert Luxe Kit for free.

With The Sims 4 going free to play, our team is more dedicated than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players and we will continue to develop and release packs, kits and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future. We’ll be sharing more about what’s in the works during a special-edition stream, Behind The Sims Summit on October 18, 2022 at 10 am PDT via The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels, also available on demand!

EA Play and EA Play Pro members will receive an upgraded experience when member-only bundles of The Sims 4 go into The Play List on October 18. The Sims 4 EA Play Edition includes The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack, while the EA Play Pro Edition includes both The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack and The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack.

:arrow: Source

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When people complained about BBTAG's awful character DLC setup I thought that was as bad as it could get, but it turns out just making a game free and giving it like 200 fucking DLCs is even worse! Now I have zero clue what I should buy to get the most content. I'll just (allegedly) pirate a complete edition or some shit, this is ridiculous.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably means Sims 5 is gonna be properly unveiled soon. I would love to see The Sims incorporated into a full Sim City game. Like you can macro manage the entire city like in the Sim City games, but also focus on individual households and families. I know the Sims is kinda around that point as you can travel the community and I believe upkeep public facilities and what not, but not on the level of the Sim City games. Could be very cool to merge the two if they did it properly.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know EA earned their reputation for doing really dumb shit but jesus, this is so expected of them.
I don't hate EA, but pulling this shit makes me want to.

"You want the game for free? Wait until Oct 18.
You want the free DLC? Buy the game"

This is so disingenuous.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate EA, but pulling this shit makes me want to.

"You want the game for free? Wait until Oct 18.
You want the free DLC? Buy the game"

This is so disingenuous.
My hate for them was over exploiting Westwood before the buy out, there were documented court cases about them pushing workers so far into overtime and crunch (all of which were on projects that'd be cancelled, such as Renegade: A Path Beyond, and C&C Generals), but most of the leadership behind that is long gone, especially John Rocitello. That said, this is just a really dumb move. Miffing, but not infuriating.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I admit it with no shame
I preordered the deluxe edition (69.99$, was before the whole currency stuff between canada and usa/europe, otherwise i'd have paid 99.99$)
I also used to buy all packs when they got released... until... this year...
I spent over 1200CAD over the years on packs and stopped just recently paying for each of them,
I think, over the, like, 60 packs, I don't own about 5 or 6 packs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1