Hacking N3DS XL B9S 11.6 firmware, Luma 9.1, can't update firmware, please help

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I hadn't updated my 3DS in quite some time, in fact as I recall, I had held off from an update after 11.6 (not sure if it was 11.7 or what) initially scared the scene into believing Nintendo could start track hacking on the 3DS in the same way they can on the Switch. Well after some time, I'm looking at things and I'm not seeing anything signifying this was indeed the case, and so it seems to be safe to update. However, when I try to update, right after connecting to the internet, I get a message that states: "An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted." And then it restarts. I'm not sure what is causing this issue, I've never had trouble updating on my hacked 3DS before. I will say though, I do remember doing something (at this point, I really couldn't say that I recall as to what) to disable the firmware update nag from some tutorial here that successfully stopped the update nags from popping up after the new update was around that people were concerned about here. Before you ask, it isn't something with my router's IP blocking something, because I also tried updating by connecting to my phone's mobile hotspot, but that too gave the same error and had to restart.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to update? I see media apps like Netflix and Youtube still work for me, but I would appreciate being able to play Mario Maker 3DS and the like online again. Thanks in advance for any help and input.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If System Settings and Recovery Mode won't let you update the firmware, try offline method.
About to give this a go, but I'm curious, am I safe to run sysupdater on a B9S 3DS through Luma? The github page for sysupdater reads, "Don't run this with any sort of firmware spoofing enabled like Gateway mode/rx mode/whatever or it will brick!" This was also written in 2016 and I know things have changed. But I don't want to brick my 3DS just by trying to update offline like this (I do have a Nand backup, but I'd rather avoid the whole headache it would entail to put it back in the state I am in now), please let me know.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a chance you can brick the firmware when updating/downgrading with sysUpdater. In that thread, I mentioned backing up your SysNAND *.bin image in case it fails.

Dani Dandelion

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what is causing this issue, I've never had trouble updating on my hacked 3DS before. I will say though, I do remember doing something (at this point, I really couldn't say that I recall as to what) to disable the firmware update nag from some tutorial here that successfully stopped the update nags from popping up after the new update was around that people were concerned about here.

Try turning DNS to Automatic in your 3DS's internet connection settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But for $20 he will still let you...