Hardware My Controller disconnects every time i take a hit in Oblivion...

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today i found a two year old back Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, and decided to sell it. I wanted to test it first, of course.

I started my Console and registered the Controller - No problems. I then started Oblivion and begun to test every element of the Controller - Sticks, Buttons, Bumpers, D-Pad etc. - Everything still works great.

To test the Rumble function i confronted en enemy, he hit me - i felt no rumble, but the Controller disconnects. I reconnected it, he hit me again - the same result.

I thought: Maybe the rumble command leads to this. So i connected it again, the enemy hit me again, but this time i was holding my shield up (i was blocking the attack), i felt the rumble and the Controller dosen't disconnect. I blocked about ten strikes - the Controller was still connected. I then took down my shield, he hit me - Controller disconnected.

WHY? :wtf:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wild guess- rumble involves moving motors which takes more power than some basic logic (granted this is now on top of said basic logic). If your batteries have been sitting there discharging for a long period they may now be on their last legs and trying to draw the power for the motor sends it over the edge- if you have ever had a car that will run the radio but not start until you jump it/replace the battery it is the same idea.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was thinking about the batteries... BUT... a normal hit from an enemy leads to rumble, blocking his hit also. The controller rumbled 10 times without disconnecting when i was blocking... why does he only disconnects when i do not block?? :sleep:

I will try it again with new batteries. But it still dosen't make sence for me.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Batteries can have enough power in them but the amperage could be really low.

It basically means that they can't provide a steady current anymore.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Simple test- does it still happen if you stick it on a charger?

If no then yeah it is power.

If yes then it opens up far more possibilities most of which do not bode well for your selling the controller to someone that does not know electronics.

As for not blocking vs blocking we are a bit beyond "rumble and don't rumble" these days so I imagine a proper whack will see a heavier rumble. Failing that "ten times and then not" can see similar things happen- it might be able to provide the requisite 100mA the first ten times but then it will not be able to manage.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK... you were right. I just tested it with new batteries, now he dosen't disconnect anymore. In my battery testing tool, the batteries i used before, hat just a little less energy than the new one. :glare: And i still don't understand, why the Controller disconnects when i take a direct hit, but not when i block the hit. Both leads to the same rumble intensity. :wacko:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same duration of rumble and style of rumble? Motors are weird things when it comes to how much power they draw at given points and combined with batteries at their limit/when they are about to die (especially rechargeable ones) it only gets worse.

Reactions: Bonny

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same duration of rumble and style of rumble?
Well... i guess yes. But i can be wrong, of course.:rolleyes: I'll sell it with the 2 new Batteries, i hope the buyer will be satisfied :-)

Thanks for your kind help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)