Movies of the Month: December 2012

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jews rejoice! Well I'm not Jewish but you can do something on Christmas. Unless you're a Jew for Jesus which means you just whore up presents. But anyway, movies!

Rules and such:

I only do theatrical, United States releases. No foreign films or straight-to-DVD unless it's exceptional.
Movie hype is rated out of five stars.
If you want a movie that was not listed, you are free to do a write-up. Just follow the format.

Here's my formatting:

Code:
[center][h]Movie Title[/h]

[img]poster.jpg[/img]

[b]Release Date:[/b] X

[b]Director:[/b] X

[b]Starring:[/b] X

[b]X out of 5 Stars[/b]

[/center]

[P]your input here[/P]

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
MV5BMTkzMTUwMDAyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIwMTQ1OA@@._V1._SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg
Release Date: December 14th​
Director: Peter Jackson​
Starring: Mark Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage​
5 out of 5 Stars

With one of the biggest movie years in history, it seems appropriate to finish it off with a return to Middle Earth. The original three Lord of the Rings movies are rather fantastic, with Return of the King sweeping the Oscars, something incredibly rare of fantasy movies. While I'm of course hyped, as I was for the Lord of the Rings movies, I do have some concerns. First, looking to my left, I have all three copies of Lord of the Rings and a copy of the Hobbit. Lord of the Rings is about 3-4 times the size of the Hobbit (rough estimate). They made three movies out of that, and they're making 3 movies out of something roughly 1/3 to 1/4th the size of that. It is worth noting that they cut out A LOT of filler from the LOTR trilogy, so this will probably be a more "refined" experience.

Also worth of note is that this is the first movie to be shot in 48fps 3D. It'll just look better than any 3D movie you've seen, and it won't have that blur. So see it in 3D if you can and make sure your theater supports the 48fps one.

Zero Dark Thirty
MV5BMTQ4OTUyNzcwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ1NDE3OA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
Release Date: December 19th​
Director: Kathryn Bigelow (European Gigalow)​
Starring: Chris Pratt, Jessica Chastain, Joel Edgerton​
1 out of 5 Stars

Well this seems to the be the next movie from Kathyrn Bigelow, who walked away with a Best Director award for The Hurt Locker. And the follow up is another gritty modern war drama type of thing. Variety, right? But anyway, it's a movie about the hunt for Osama bin Laden and his eventual assassination. Eh. I can honestly just have watched the thousand documentaries made about it following his death, plus it does feel like one year of production is a bit short. I'm also not a fan of gritty modern war movies so I'll pass.

Jack Reacher
MV5BMTM1NjUxMDI3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg1ODM3OA@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg
Release Date: December 21st​
Director: Christopher McQuarrie​
Starring: Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike, Richard Jenkins​
1 out of 5 Stars

I only just heard of and saw trailers for this movie during a double feature at the movies last Sunday. Kinda feels like Die Hard meets Mission Impossible. Which sounds cool but it doesn't look like anything special. Some type of vigilante detective who isn't Batman solving a murder mystery but he's also like... some Mission Impossible guy. Kinda looks generic. I guess it's worth seeing if you're bored at the movies.

Les Miserables
MV5BMTQ4NDI3NDg4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY5OTI1OA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
Release Date: December 25th​
Director: Tom Hooper​
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anna Hathaway​
2 out of 5 Stars

Do you smell that? It smells like Oscar bait. An adaptation of a famous play with the director of King's Speech behind it? Yeah, that's Oscar bait. I've never seen the play honestly, nor have I really read much about it, so my interest isn't really here. Plus I'm not big into dramas. Looks like it'll be having fun with Lincoln at the Oscars though while the Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and Skyfall get snubbed.

Django Unchained
MV5BNjI4NzkzODM3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk1NTIyOA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg
Release Date: December 25th​
Director: Quentin Tarantino​
Starring: The guys on the poster​
4 out of 5 Stars

Well when the movie was first described to me, it was described as "Inglorious Basterds in pre-Civil War South." Upon seeing trailers, it doesn't disappoint. Basically Christoph Waltz, a Jew bounty hunter teams up with Jamie Foxx, a slave, to hunt down two men and save Foxx's (Django's) wife. While I do enjoy most Tarantino films, it feels like Basterds in that I'll only appreciate it my second time through.

Another side note, at least in my local theater, they're doing a one-night only for Reservoir Dogs on December 4th and Pulp Fiction on the 6th.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why, but I feel absolutely nothing but apathy towards The Hobbit. I mean, I liked the Lord of the Rings, but I was never really in love with them. Peter Jackson's a great director with a great love for the source material, so I'm sure the end result will be great, but I just don't feel as stoked for this as everyone else.

Les Miserable looks like an interesting project; it's been in the works since 1988, it has a huge cast of talent (from Catwoman to Borat to Wolverine to Russell Crowe), and apparently all the vocals were done live on set, rather than in a studio. I can't really see myself going out of my way for this one, but I'm sure it'll enjoyable enough for the fans.

Django Unchained... talk about a Christmas gift. I dug the hell out of Inglorious Basterds, really enjoyed Kill Bill, so I know Tarantino's good for it (I have Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance as a part of the collection, so I'll have some catching up to do before catching this movie). The trailers have me sold; I can't wait.

As for the rest... meh.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Django Unchained and The Hobbit are next month's winners.

Jack Reacher will be either a hit or miss. I watched the trailer this morning and I wasn't impressed. I'll see with some friends so if it disappoints then the experience won't be a complete loss.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cannot contain my excitement for Les Mis, is looks astounding. The cast has worked their hinds off on it, and its been a long time since I have seen the play. Its a beautiful drama, that really tugs on your heart strings, the songs sound gorgeous, and I cannot wait.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Hobbit, yes. Been looking forward to it since it's announcement, wow.
Pledged myself to go see it in the theatre, since for whatever reason I missed the LotR movies in a theatre. I need to watch this one there, the full experience. Can't wait.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched Unexpected Journey in an iMax theater last friday... It was fantastic. It helps to have read the book, but you only need to know the first 6 chapters or so. I was expecting quite a bit and Peter Jaxxon delivered. There were a few things to complain about, but nothing too terrible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ i did know that actually
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much