Is it possible to 3D print new controller buttons?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an as-is OLED Vita to try taking it apart and add padding to the start/select buttons. (Something which I and others have done for the L/R buttons and which works very well.) However I haven't had much luck so far, the start/select buttons unlike the L/R do not have a lot of travel so there isn't a lot of room for padding, and the buttons just end up getting jammed.

I plan to try again later, but is there a way to just 3D print new start/select buttons? I would rather my OLED model have spherical start/select buttons like the slim Vita does, rather than being flush with the bezel. I suppose this question doesn't pertain to Vita specifically since it's just a 3D printing question. (as one could hypothetically 3D print buttons for *any* system) But I know next to nothing about 3D printing. Except that I obviously shouldn't need to own one. I might need ro learn the software to "create" the buttons on the computer, before ordering to have then printed and shipped to me
Is that correct? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: The buttons are attached to a rubber thing. Probably not a good idea to tear them off. Maybe I'd have better luck gluing something on top to achieve the same effect. (A Lego piece..?)

Edit: I got it. I'll use the rubber pads from the bottom of a DSi XL. (Other DS/3DS models might work) I looked at a spare DSi XL I had lying around and the pads are just about the right size.

IMG_20240208_112101.jpg

My plan is remove them from a DSi XL (preferably one in black) and glue them to the Vita's start/select buttons. I'll probably have to use a knife to slice them thinner but that shouldn't be too hard since they're rubber.

Attachments

• 20240208_064734.jpg
    20240208_064734.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by zeello,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an as-is OLED Vita to try taking it apart and add padding to the start/select buttons. (Something which I and others have done for the L/R buttons and which works very well.) However I haven't had much luck so far, the start/select buttons unlike the L/R do not have a lot of travel so there isn't a lot of room for padding, and the buttons just end up getting jammed.

I plan to try again later, but is there a way to just 3D print new start/select buttons? I would rather my OLED model have spherical start/select buttons like the slim Vita does, rather than being flush with the bezel. I suppose this question doesn't pertain to Vita specifically since it's just a 3D printing question. (as one could hypothetically 3D print buttons for *any* system) But I know next to nothing about 3D printing. Except that I obviously shouldn't need to own one. I might need ro learn the software to "create" the buttons on the computer, before ordering to have then printed and shipped to me
Is that correct? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Tinkercad and freecad are what most people default too. I use Fusion360 myself tho.

These are absolutely printable. However due to the sizing resin printing might be a bit better suited.

But a fine tuned FDM printer should at least give you a nice prototype(unless maybe you use a 0.2 nozzle) . If you make the file I'm happy to do a test print and mail you the result if you're in the states.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch