GCN Is it broken? Can I still resolder the Modchip?

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well I've got the Rosin Solder Flux but its solid? How do I use it now?

You use a toothpick or something similar and spread it a bit on every point you plan to solder to. Not too much, just a bit. And dip wires a bit into it as well after you twist them. It should not be so solid, it should be greasy. Take a pic of what you've got.

Edit:

Last edited by CaptainSodaPop,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You use a toothpick or something similar and spread it a bit on every point you plan to solder to. Not too much, just a bit. And dip wires a bit into it as well after you twist them. It should not be so solid, it should be greasy. Take a pic of what you've got.

Edit:

Well It looks from the color like the one in the Video, the problem is that it is ROCK SOLID, like Plastic

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh okay so I looked it up online: A flux with the addition of activators to facilitate soldering. The product has activity similar to a solder paste. Used as a base for a reference flux (25% solution in isopropyl alcohol).
So I have to use Alcohol?

Features:

Very good flux when soldering with lead-tin alloy
Used to rub the bristles of string instruments to increase the roughness and thereby increase its grip to the strings

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't know what you bought but you should probably return that and get your money back if they sold it to you as rosin flux. It became solid because it wasn't kept closed appropriately at the right room temperature or it's really old. Maybe adding alcohol would soften it up but someone else will have to answer that question.

Edit: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/solid-rosin-flux-how-is-it-used/

You may find your answer here as well.

Last edited by CaptainSodaPop,

antofi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey!

Please don't kill me for using this old thread, but I figured, that it was fitting to my question and did not want to open a new one.
So to my question, as the thread opener, I managed to botch the direct installation of the chip. Now I want to use the wired method, but I am struggling with finding the right wire. So what I understood through reading the posts is that solid core wire is recommended at 30AWG. Now I have solid core at 22AWG. Would that work, or would you recommend me to order 30AWG?

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey!

Please don't kill me for using this old thread, but I figured, that it was fitting to my question and did not want to open a new one.
So to my question, as the thread opener, I managed to botch the direct installation of the chip. Now I want to use the wired method, but I am struggling with finding the right wire. So what I understood through reading the posts is that solid core wire is recommended at 30AWG. Now I have solid core at 22AWG. Would that work, or would you recommend me to order 30AWG?
30AWG is preferred. 22AWG will be too thick for small points and difficult to work with. Which chip are you installing?

antofi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright thank you! I am trying to install the XenoGC Modchip. I messed up the soldering on board and when desoldering i was to careless sadly and lifted one pad :/.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Using .139 and most of the games work.... Was happy to play Konami Devil World yesterday lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not even sure what to call that controller