OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bit.ly
XP
Country
New Zealand
I just had a idea, on a PSP, you can fakesign (SOME) homebrew to run without CFW. Could the same be done with a Wii? Like, with a tool on PC/MAC/Linux to fakesign the homebrew/Injected things files so if you re-virginise your Wii, they still run?
Thanks
PSLover14

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You do not fakesign PSP homebrew- you sign it with Sony's very keys that leaked thanks to the PS3 hacks (and Sony's staggeringly stupid move of putting keys on said consoles). The "some" part merely comes as a variation on issues with launching it in the first place.

Fakesigning usually refers to a method that will get something past the check by some manner- in the case of the original Wii hacks (see also trucha bug) Nintendo hosed up the checking method so you could force a file through checking for next to no effort. Should you install versions of the IOS that still has this bug (given I am here covering this topic you really do not want to try this) I guess you can indeed have homebrew on there that will still run. Why you would want to I am not entirely sure (if you have screwed up your mods to the point where "re-virginising" makes sense then you have done well in my estimation) but people seem to make Wii hacking a stranger field than it ought to be so play it as you will.

PSLover14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bit.ly
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi FAST6191, sorry I used the wrong word for the PSP part, and what I had actually meant to say was signing the apps. I have a tool on my PC which does this to PSP Homebrew, and I wondered whether that idea would work with a Wii which you might want to put back to stock so you can use online play without MAYBE getting detected as Modified Console or to not have items like WiiMC come up in the list of things sent to Nintendo using Nintendo Channel's DS Download Play.
EDIT: also putting back to stock is re-virginising and have there been any keys for signing those three letter files(you know what I mean) released?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS3's fw3.40-3.41 and fw3.55 are also official private keys. (possibly old firmware too, but only the 3.40 and 3.55 keys are generally used)
These keys were not leaked but calculated due to Sony's confidence into their security and not using a random seed.

They fixed it on fw3.56 (that's why custom Firmware need 3.55 to install/update)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgy_QgVe4yA