PS1/2 I need help softmoding my fat PS2.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did. I use verbatim DVD-R. The same kind I use to burn gamecube games and play them on wii. I have a question. Is it possible to put more than 1 PS2 ISO on a single blank DVD? I know you can for gamecube games but I haven't read anything about it for PS2 games.

Bummer, old console - old laser. You could possible tweak the potentiometer on the laser, or turning those white wheels.
The skipping have nothing to do with McBoot/ESR and is most likely a laser/reading issue.

Multi-game disc is possible, however I never attempted it. The process was a bit lengthy iirc. Do a google search on 'ps2 multi game creator kit'. That contains instructions/programs and what not. DVD Decrypter is basically a old old version of IMGBurn.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I don't feel comfortable taking apart my PS2 to tweak the laser. I was actually thinking about buying a new PS2 anyway just to have as a backup in case mine ever broke. It is over 11 years old. I got it for Christmas in 2000. Would the hack work on the new one?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I don't feel comfortable taking apart my PS2 to tweak the laser. I was actually thinking about buying a new PS2 anyway just to have as a backup in case mine ever broke. It is over 11 years old. I got it for Christmas in 2000. Would the hack work on the new one?

Unfortunately Free McBoot does not work on consoles with date code 8C* (third quarter of '08) or higher. Any console manufactured in after the third quarter of '08 has a updated bios, these consoles can only play backups via Swap Magic or a modchip.

With the original fat console, there is also the possibility of installing a IDE hard drive, a PS2 network adapter and load your games off of the hard drive with Open PS2 Loader.
Re-manufactured fat PS2 lasers are also very easy to find on eBay for 20$ from USA, or 15$ from HK, which is surprising as these lasers were once so scarce. Most original PS2 problem I've seen is due to worn/dead lasers, or broken disc tray tracks.

Swap Magic 3.8 while made to load backups through disc switching can also load homebrew off USB like ESR to avoid disc swapping. However Swap Magic can also be useful for games which would not boot under ESR.

Modchips are basically the lazy, no swap, high compatibility, as well as no swap PS1 support. I prefer these personally, not because I install them, but because of my imported games, as well as original PlayStation games.

* Some 8C consoles are compatible with Free McBoot.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What Dilav said was right.

The network adapter w/ ide hard drive is the preferred way.

One with freemcboot would never need to buy swap magic because you can do this with a homebrew.(you still need to use the card/block sensors)

This is debatable but burned media should be burned at slower speed; I say 8x is slow enough.

This is not very common i say among ps2 users but the network way is the second preferred way. Slim ps2 can do this also.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the neat info guys. I've been playing the game some more and noticed that the load times are ridiculously long. Like over 40 seconds every time you go from one area to the next, including switching to cutscenes :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: