Hacking I don't understand the Geohot argument...

Pablo Giambelluca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Really... everyone says no one wants to release an exploit because they don't wanna be sued into oblivion by sony and finish like Geohot bla bla bla... but... Geo settled the lawsuit and donated the money raised to EFF, then went on to work for Facebook and Google having a great carreer... today he's a recognized name on the industry with a lot of weight and a great curriculum.

So, what is this nonsense about no one wants to be the next geohot... I mean... its not like the guy is livinig in poverty and is not relevant anymore, its not like they killed his family and put him in prison for life... so, why? I understand he was sued but arguably everything good that happened in his life after that came from the publicity from being sued by sony. If I remember correctly he was not the only person who had the keys, another group had them but he was the only one who had the balls to release them and voilá! Everyone remembers him, no one remembers the other groups except for the ones who where actively following the scene.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the chances of having an endgame like geohot for anyone else isnt the same. Different circumstances and whatnot.

Reactions: T-hug

atomsk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think what marcan meant about drama in the scene wasn't only about Geohot being sued but the backlash of users who use the exploits to enable things such as piracy. Also I think he also stated that because so many people harass developers if they don't create some kind of custom firmware which can be annoying if you see how many people flipped out on ChaitinTech when they were just following the rules of the competition.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I think what marcan meant about drama in the scene wasn't only about Geohot being sued but the backlash of users who use the exploits to enable things such as piracy. Also I think he also stated that because so many people harass developers if they don't create some kind of custom firmware which can be annoying if you see how many people flipped out on ChaitinTech when they were just following the rules of the competition.

Still, is kinda funny how they go all "we pwnd this guis!!!1" and seconds after state "but yu won't see dis cuz drama KEK". The actual drama is keeping things secret by fear of having something useful in hands.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imho showing off something and not releasing it is sort of a dick move. But educating people on how you did it so someone else can release if they wanted to aint so bad.

atomsk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Imho showing off something and not releasing it is sort of a dick move. But educating people on how you did it so someone else can release if they wanted to aint so bad.

I honestly think that marcan has given enough hints to make a webkit exploit and how to bypass the security from looking at this talk at 33c3. It even inspired @Zero72463 to try and make his own.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Because there is too much at stake, personal life, relationships, career and what not, to release stuff to joe public, if it all gets traced back to the individual(s) involved.

Everything has changed dramatically the past few years and Sony is probably the worst for lawsuits.

Plus, if I was a dev, i'd certainly would not want to release my work, especially nowadays with spoilt brats whining because they wanna pirate their shit.

atomsk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because there is too much at stake, personal life, relationships, career and what not, to release stuff to joe public, if it all gets traced back to the individual(s) involved.

Everything has changed dramatically the past few years and Sony is probably the worst for lawsuits.

Plus, if I was a dev, i'd certainly would not want to release my work, especially nowadays with spoilt brats whining because they wanna pirate their shit.

I like that term "spoilt brats." I'm gonna use that :yayps3::rofl2:

Reactions: retrofan_k

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a long history, ever since I was young I was hacking and coding. I have many private tools that could probably be useful to some people. Now let's not get into that let me explain the GeoHot thing as it's not as you guys think it is. GeoHot has some kind of work for Sony, the reason we know this is because no one at GeoHots age should've known about what he knew. When he made his CFW he though he could make it a "anti-piracy" CFW, but that obviously failed. The reason he made it "anti-piracy" was so that if he got sued by Sony he could say "I tried to make it so no one could pirate." or "Hey someone else took my code and made their own piracy CFW not my problem.". Which obviously failed resulting in his penalty. To be honest GeoHot is living a successful life and might be more successful than any of you. He learnt his lesson and because of that he has done some amazing things such as building his own self-driving car. Now it was a group effort GeoHot released the CFW without the permission of the others. To end it he is successful, who wants to be sued anyways?

Last edited by Zero72463,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021