How do I change router settings?

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to change my router's settings to legacy 802.11b so I can play Mario Kart and Smash Bros online, but I search the regular router ip for settings, and then enter my router's username and password, but it just sends me to reset the router password. Does the router have a username that isn't what you see as it's name when you try to connect to it?

Also, if it helps, I use a Netgear router.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Does the router have a username that isn't what you see as it's name when you try to connect to it?
Generally any and every router has a different user name than the one you see as its network name when you try to connect to it.
Also Netgear makes 100500 models of different and varied household routers.
If you bought the router yourself in a shop, find the manual for it.
If the router was supplied to you by your ISP, forget about it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As above check the manual, and possibly router itself (most will have a sticker on, might need to reset everything as first login can see people change things).

802.11b is not really a setting on things, though I have seen some use it. It is going to be more of a sequence of settings (no security, WEP or for the Wii maybe WPA I think it allowed), and can have knock on effects if legacy things are introduced for your other devices (if it is using one of its transmitters to do legacy stuff then it is not available to boost speed of the good stuff, whether this is relevant on the average connection is a different matter).

For this sort of thing we tend to point people in the direction of their nearest junk shop, electronics recycler, yard sale, garage sale, flea market, car boot sale, online tat site... basically wherever people go to sell old things. Buy a router of the time from such a thing (everywhere I go they are commonly available), connect it via a LAN cable, set it up properly (or just disable DCHP and let the host do it, you might have to change the router's IP to not conflict with other devices and use the same gateway). Accordingly it is generally advised to avoid routers sent out by ISPs as they are usually locked down and prevented from doing anything fun, though occasionally you might find them being so popular means they became targets for custom firmwares.
Alternatively set up a wireless hotspot on your computer, or possibly an old phone, and set that up accordingly, though modern windows might make it hard to use more legacy feature sets.
Alternatively the wii had a USB to LAN cable option. Could be the easier route in this, though a search just now says they have since become a desirable device, possibly for this reason, so you might have to pay up for it (not quite the silly money of rare RPG collecting type scenarios but enough that I note it in this and will continue to add them to the pile when I see them in junk shops).

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
802.11b is not really a setting on things, though I have seen some use it. It is going to be more of a sequence of settings (no security, WEP or for the Wii maybe WPA I think it allowed), and can have knock on effects if legacy things are introduced for your other devices (if it is using one of its transmitters to do legacy stuff then it is not available to boost speed of the good stuff, whether this is relevant on the average connection is a different matter)
I checked multiple tutorials, and while some say do use WEP and 2.4/dual band, I saw one that said neither are required, rather, needing legacy 802.11b.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It gets worse than that as well. Some routers even back in the day when they were all 802.11b and maybe a draft G if you went looking really hard would not work despite having nominally the right settings, never got any info on what they might have been doing wrong to upset the DS (not that most would have been able to do anything about it outside of hacking them) but was a thing.

The DS hardware only speaks 2.4GHz (5GHz and now some even higher stuff being around, but it was a while before things jumped to that so many things will still have legacy modes, albeit with the potential speed drop problems I mentioned) so that is mandatory. It only supported WEP encryption or none (no WPA or anything later other than the DSi and smattering of things capable of taking advantage of that, mac filtering mentioned before being a router level thing so play that as you will) with none/open network sometimes being better than WEP on the same router. The DS is also speed locked but that does not really bother things in this discussion.

What different routers call modes that enable those settings can vary, assuming they even provide them any more ("for security reasons" taking out many options for such things, sometimes even in software updates). It will usually be in and around guest network or wireless settings. I have seen legacy things bundled as something 802.11b/a/g (wireless a being a business focused thing most will have never seen) or b/g/n in some setup, whether some include ac nowadays in such a conglomeration I don't know but would not be surprised. Some of those setups can tilt it more towards excluding b type wireless but such things will tend to be noted when they do.

To this end I return to visit said tat shop, flea market, yard sale, old people that hoard stuff or whatever to find whatever vintage options there are (hopefully if it is an old ISP one you can slap it hard enough to play nicely with other routers, in the US at the time I tended to find a bit less of that than Europe) and wire it in with a network cable, or possibly see if you can get a PC going on with either an old wireless card (wired into router or second wireless card to do actual internet/network things, could also use a PC as a bridge for the old router to go into the network port it has and onwards over wifi if you wanted) or maybe with enough incantations and tongue at the right angle one of the super rare Nintendo things for it (which they dropped support for I think possibly before Vista came out). Wikipedia I know but eh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol