Tutorial  Updated

Smash 4 custom music with *hax 2.5

Tools you will need: Braindump (http://gbatemp.net/threads/braindump-prerelease-dump-game-contents-on-any-system-version.400920/) CTRtool (available in braindump thread) A RomFS builder (I suggest https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-romfs-builder.379330/) A nus3bank converter (optional, depending on your situation. I personally do not know of one, however.) An internet browser to visit brawl custom music (Google) and an SD card with somewhere around 1.2 GB of free space.

Dump your RomFS and ExeFS using braindump. This can take a long time, so be patient. You don't need the ExeFS for custom music, so once you're done, you may delete that if you want.

Put your SD into your computer and extract it using CTRtool. There's a guide on how to use CTRtool to extract your romfs in the braindump thread, as well. While it's extracting, if you haven't already, you may want to use this time to obtain your nus3bank files.

Brawl custom music has the option to download the files fit for smash 3DS already, if you open the dropdown box that says "Download or add to template for" and select Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, then select the new drop-down box that appears right below it, and select the song you want to replace. It will then give you a download with the proper filename. Even if you have a converter, this can be useful for figuring out which songs are which. You can then choose to download it as a NUS3BANK file.

After this, open the folder that contains the extracted RomFS and place the song in the sound/bgm folder. Build the RomFS using what ever tool you may be using.

Create a hans folder on the root of your SD card if one isn't already there/you haven't created one already, place the RomFS in there, and name it the last 8 digits of the title ID (this changes from region to region) .romfs, for example, the American version would be 000EDF00.romfs. If you aren't sure where to find this, it will display it in the Hans menu.

From here, put the SD back into your 3DS, open *hax 2.5, open Hans, change "Romfs -> SD" to YES and then start the game. You should now have your custom music.

NOTE: Hans doesn't load update data for some reason, so you won't be able to use your save file or play online with custom music. No way around this until some sort of work-around is found/made.

EDIT: as of the latest version of Hans you no longer need to strip the first 0x1000 bytes, so I've removed that step.

Last edited by Poketard,

s0r00t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for the necro but this is the only topic where I can find help.
I've dumped the CXI using braindump, and got RomFS with ctrtool.
I replaced the Main Menu song with my custom nus3bank (Coin Launcher from Brawl), and used RomFS Builder over Mono (I'm on GNU/Linux.).
I renamed the file 000EE000.romfs, put it on SD:/hans.
HANS won't start the game with that RomFS. It blackscreens.
Regular game without SD RomFS works.

I'm using HANS over hblauncher_loader.

I've tried to rebuild the original RomFS with RomFS Builder, but the result doesn't have the same MD5 hash as the original.

Any help? Thanks,

Poketard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the necro but this is the only topic where I can find help.
I've dumped the CXI using braindump, and got RomFS with ctrtool.
I replaced the Main Menu song with my custom nus3bank (Coin Launcher from Brawl), and used RomFS Builder over Mono (I'm on GNU/Linux.).
I renamed the file 000EE000.romfs, put it on SD:/hans.
HANS won't start the game with that RomFS. It blackscreens.
Regular game without SD RomFS works.

I'm using HANS over hblauncher_loader.

I've tried to rebuild the original RomFS with RomFS Builder, but the result doesn't have the same MD5 hash as the original.

Any help? Thanks,
Does a rebuilt vanilla RomFS do this as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1