PS1/2 GSM Vs. HDMI

Immortallix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a PS2 for the first time ever and I already set it up with FMCB, a HDD, various homebrew, & the PS2 to HDMI adapter. The adapter was one of the first things I ordered (from Aliexpress), as I have no space for Component cables or those frame meister type boxes. Anyways, I discovered GSM and tried it out but kept getting weird looking pictures, figured it might have something to do with the HDMI adapter. Upon looking it up I find conflicting information saying the adapter takes whatever signal it gets, up to 480p and upscales it to 1080p, others saying it can't output anything higher than 480p, and that there's no kind of upscaling or de-interlacing whatsoever.
Before I tried GSM I already thought the picture looked pretty good on my 720p tv, but I tried it because it sounded like I wasn't getting the best I could. I then tried the built in GSM feature that OPL has (I mainly use HDL), and the only setting there that worked aside from default was 480p 60hz, which even properly displayed the game in 4:3 (usually have to manually do that on my TV). Some elements of the games looked sharper this way, but also had elements that look better without GSM through HD Loader.
So I'm wondering, with my setup what's the best thing to do? Does the PS2 to HDMI actually up-scale as well as Deinterlace? It does need to be plugged into power so I assume there's some kind of post-processing going on there. That might also explain the blurrier features when using GSM, as it might be trying to de-interlace something the software already has.
And how would I know, just using my adapter alone, if a game is outputting progressive at the highest resolution it can? I'm only used to the simplicity of gamecube games not going higher than 480, and straight up telling you if its in progressive.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And how would I know [...] if a game is outputting progressive at the highest resolution it can?
There are (more or less complete) lists with information on the official video modes supported (note the difference between "officially available" and "actual native resolution")

As for your $10 video converter, I wouldn't honestly put any expections in it - it's a stopgap solution for people who don't have something with the right inputs until they get a better solution, nothing more really... and there may well be multiple internal designs depending on the "brand"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol