Game Boy - New batteries but keep losing savegames

Wulfara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi. I recently purchased some CR1616 batteries to replace my 1st gen Pokémon cartdridges. I started with Pokémon Blue, played ~20 hours saving and loading without any problems and suddenly I lost the savegame. After some weeks I started playing Pokémon Yellow and the same thing happened after ~30 hours playing. I have no idea on how this happened and I'm now full paranoid/afraid of playing 2nd gen Pokémon and losing my digital friends again after a lot of time playing :_(

Some things to keep in mind:
- The batteries were brand new, purchased two months ago and they were working fine. I have a lot of experience soldering and they are solidly welded.
- I replaced the batteries on both Blue and Yellow cartdridges (didn't reuse the same battery)
- I played the games on different consoles, so the console itself shouldn't be the problem. Pokémon Blue on a GBA SP AGS-101 and Yellow on a GBA IPS V2 mod
- The new batteries aren't dead, I tested them with a multimeter and they still mark 3V
- The last time I played Pokémon Yellow I loaded the savegame without problems but I DIDN'T SAVE THE GAME (because I played very little time and do nothing useful) so the savegame was OK and not replaced by a new savegame. The next time I launched the game the savegame was lost.

Any ideas? I really want to identify the source of the problem. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by Wulfara,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I recently purchased some CR1616 batteries to replace my 1st gen Pokémon cartdridges. I started with Pokémon Blue, played ~20 hours saving and loading without any problems and suddenly I lost the savegame. After some weeks I started playing Pokémon Yellow and the same thing happened after ~30 hours playing. I have no idea on how this happened and I'm now full paranoid/afraid of playing 2nd gen Pokémon and losing my digital friends again after a lot of time playing :_(

Some things to keep in mind:
- The batteries were brand new, purchased two months ago and they were working fine. I have a lot of experience soldering and they are solidly welded.
- I replaced the batteries on both Blue and Yellow cartdridges (didn't reuse the same battery)
- I played the games on different consoles, so the console itself shouldn't be the problem. Pokémon Blue on a GBA SP AGS-101 and Yellow on a GBA IPS V2 mod
- The new batteries aren't dead, I tested them with a multimeter and they still mark 3V
- The last time I played Pokémon Yellow I loaded the savegame without problems but I DIDN'T SAVE THE GAME (because I played very little time and do nothing useful) so the savegame was OK and not replaced by a new savegame. The next time I launched the game the savegame was lost.

Any ideas? I really want to identify the source of the problem. Thank you in advance :)
Was these pre-tabbed batteries?

Takeshineale128

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes of course, always double check. Like I pointed out both games were working fine (saving and loading) with the new batteries for weeks before losing the savegames.
try reflow the sram chip because I had the issue when I replaced the battery and the game (Pokemon Yellow) would not hold a save file in the sram chip.

Last edited by Takeshineale128,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJhdhkd0w0