Gaming Faster Than Light available on Steam/GoG Today!

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only one who gets ridiciously confused trying to play this? I ended up dying on the second fight after the tutorial (Although I bypassed the shop, that might have been why)... I tend to have trouble focusing on getting my people to repair areas whilst dealing with the guns... Even pausing it I tend to have trouble =/

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
(don't click the spoiler tag if you do not reached this point yet, it contains a real spoiler)

I've battled a huge thing, I defeated it, then:
the Fucking thing runs away without one wing, at the second battle I got killed

Now I'm on a new running with a new ship

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well finally made it all the way and died about 20 seconds into the final boss (I got into a couple of fights on the way there and was less than half health, about 4 missiles and not augmentations to speak of). I will have to try out the game using a boarding party instead as I have not really tried that style of play yet.

Wow! you've got to final boss already?

I played the tutorial last night and was thinking of doing the tutorial again today to get my mind straight on the mechanics.
I got to the boss too this morning, now I'm gonna finish it :P I've already unlocked the second ship, I guess I'm going to unlock the third one soon.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Well finally made it all the way and died about 20 seconds into the final boss (I got into a couple of fights on the way there and was less than half health, about 4 missiles and not augmentations to speak of). I will have to try out the game using a boarding party instead as I have not really tried that style of play yet.

I played the tutorial last night and was thinking of doing the tutorial again today to get my mind straight on the mechanics.
I got to the boss too this morning, now I'm gonna finish it :P I've already unlocked the second ship, I guess I'm going to unlock the third one soon.

You got to the boss too raul, is this game really short or summert?

I've had my second play through the tutorial today, i'm pretty sure i got the hang of what i should be doing now :unsure: but i won't be starting the the game fully for a couple of days.

Looking forward to it though.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

You got to the boss too raul, is this game really short or summert?
I fear so! I'm currently on Easy (cheap!) as I can't go farther than sector 6 while on Normal. But I'm sure that after this playthrough I should be able to do it :D

Anyway, Normal is far more fun than Easy!

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah a lot of the ships you fight on easy don't have much to them which makes the fights easier, but there's less ability to pilfer better weapons and stuff.

Beat the final boss. A wing comes off, the rest of it jumps.
Second form killed me, so I played again with hacks just to see what comes next, since I feared "THIS IS NOT MY FINAL FORM" syndrome... and was right.

Beat it again, the other wing comes off, the rest of it jumps.
Okay, I don't think I can beat this without hacks...

The final-final form has an annoying shield that's actually it's own separate meter (that I never saw on another enemy) you need to wear down before you even get access to penetrate the normal shields... in addition to it just being Fucking Strong.
Yeah, even with having given myself all the resource numbers I needed to buy equipment and crap, I still had to hack it down to 1 Hull and hope I managed to get a missile in to kill the damned thing. XD

The credits screen seems to include a couple hundred or so people that donated to the kickstarter, so be prepared to wait 5 minutes for it to scroll...

I got the middle ship unlocked (the federation one) in addition to the engi/torus, but haven't had time to mess with that one yet. After the beast that was the boss, I need to do some serious reading up on guides.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Beat the game on easy since I keep getting to sector 8 on normal and getting my ass kicked. There is some SERIOUS firepower in that sector.

On Easy it's a breeze though. Had 4 weapons going and 2 anti-ship droids on the first ship and was just wrecking everything in my path. Even the final boss, once I got its damn shields down, dropped quickly every time. All my weapons were crappy tier 1 stuff besides the laser II thing the ship starts with.
Going through with Engie ship was even easier....
Kinda wish there was a middleground between easy and normal, lol.
I'm just using Easy to unlock a few more ships quickly, I really want a mantis ship >_>

Also wish there was a hard mode with some minor tweeks like "no pausing". Just for fun. There's a lot of luck that goes into the game, so they wouldn't really need to tweek TOO much else, but I pause a whole lot when I play to micromanage everything. It's possible to do without pausing, but it's definitely harder...and honestly I think it'd be even funner. I could just not pause myself, but that damn spacebar is locked into my brain.

EDIT:
Also what is everyone calling their ships?
So far I have
Excalibur
Avalon
Gungnir

and i've repeated Exc and Av a lot, I just throw "MK#" on the end of it to signify a new ship.

EDIT: late edit. For some reason thought there were 8 sectors. Math skills, I has them.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've unlocked the Zoltan ship too (also Layout B), but I keep getting my ass keelhauled by the final boss as I lose WAY too much time in the last sector trying to gather up stuff, so I end up without time remaining and it gets to the base :P

EDIT: Just unlocked the Vortex [Engi Layout B] (and got my ass mauled by the boss again, this time at its last form, sheesh) and it's quite... peculiar.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game... is odd. I have high hopes for it with all the excessive funds the project got, hopes that it will get polished and expanded. I keep comparing this game's randomness to something like Dungeon of Dredmor... and getting let down. There's a lot of good options in FLT, but they all feel stunted, like, everything is too simplistic for its own framework. There's only eight sectors, and with the rebels pushing you, you will literally speed through each one of them: I've tried laying about for the maximum amount of times and it's still surprisingly easy to get to the end.

For one, the combat is too simplistic. If all you ever do is aim at the weapons, then shields (with the occasional switch to drone controls), you'll be set for every battle, so long as you keep your shields up to par. And since each of the sectors "level," you can selectively prepare for the harder zones as you near the crossing from the easier encounters into the beefed encounters.

I've been playing most of the games on Normal and it's just not very challenging anymore. I actually just got to the final boss with the Engi ship, and with a three-shield, Defense Drone II, a Mark I Blaster, and the ion cannon, as well as maxed pilot, engineer, shield, and weapons, I had 30% evasion, +30% shields, and the drone kept most of the damage away. It's mostly luck based. If you've surveillance 2 and a bomb weapon, you could do much more havoc, and if you've a teleporter and a strong team, you can also sabatoge the ship pretty easily... at least for me. The rebel fighter had no drones whatsoever, only the main weapons--which if you can knock them off, they're as good as useless (oh how I wish fires would destroy the ship from within...). I suppose a breach could also be fatal if you can last long enough, as the weapons are unable to be repaired once they are unmanned--and a breach in there, as such, is unrepairable.

I'd really like to see just about everything expanded, especially the amount of sectors. For what genre the game is, it is surprisingly predictable once you get your strategies down. Winning is mostly a combination of getting lucky with resources, and being efficient in how you allocate them. As I said, you can breeze through almost an entire mission just by targeting two things, and avoiding hazardous sectors. Unless you've the luck or funds, being extremely offensive is almost the best defense for most encounters.

Different kinds of weapons would be cool too, instead of variances in the handful you already have. I guess the scope is limited because, like I said before, the entire game is kind of stunted. I mean, what about smoking out crews with lethal chem bombs, or flesh-eating nano-bots? How about fritzing or hacking enemy systems to cause disrupt their weapon lock-ons? Maybe a clot-bomb that stunts the weapon charge, making it slower to maneuver and fire? Something to combat cloaking? Maybe a slug that can turn the mind of an enemy into firing or sabotaging his own ship. And shipmate combat too! Maybe outfitting people with little gun buffs for extra damage or defense, or dealing with fires. The different races already have their cues, but it's not like there could be some additional layers of customization to give each experience just a little more individuality.

Even the backdrops, and ships, and weapons are pretty limited. There's only so many designs, and with a little bit of additional and randomized texture designs or machine layouts, it could have been a bit more interesting. The game skids hard on its gameplay for support--but I'd like a little more beefy tires to ride on, instead of the rims.
I just really hope the reception the devs got with the fundraising is enough--let alone the purchases themselves--to get some additional flavors into the game. It's pretty fun and addicting, but after two days of playing it, I kinda feel like I've seen everything to see. I've around ten or eleven games completed to death so far, two on Easy, the rest on Normal.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
his game is really good
i enjoy the game alot

i get up to sector 8 i think and die
on the boss rebel

i unlocked the Zoltan ship tho (slot 8 ship)
ive got slot 2 and slot 4 ship unlocked too

its an amazing game but i really struggle at the end on easy

it seem to be alot of luck what happens and what you get on your travels

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anybody else got the stealth ship (top-middle slot) yet? The quest to get it was a little harrowing (I had to jump around systems while the wave almost caught up to me), but I managed it, but haven't played with the ship yet.
Lucky you, I'm roaming in the Engi homeworld all the time and I couldn't find anything yet :(

This game... is odd. I have high hopes for it with all the excessive funds the project got, hopes that it will get polished and expanded.
It's a pretty enjoyable game. Try to unlock everything, that will get ya busy.

If you want to see a REAL letdown behind a successful Kickstarter, then look at Organ Trail: Director's Cut. It's a darned flash game with obscenely boring and repetitive minigames sold for a normal indie price.

I can't complain about FTL. Every playthru is entertaining enough :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree that there's not nearly enough to explore and not nearly enough randomness. Loot? I'd say 75% of the time it's numbers, 20% a weapon, 5% a crew. Distress signal? That means a fight 80% of the time, free loot 20% of the time. The game needs more stuff, it's nowhere near the level of exploration most roguelikes allow.

That said, here's a great cheat table for messing with the game, seeing as you can freeze the rebellion advancement and stuff.
http://forum.cheatengine.org/download.php?id=97834

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, finished the boss on Normal (it seems weird that I never played on Easy more than twice... yet kicked the boss's ass on Normal). After getting tired of some shit rolls, my last ship was named 'Fucking Destroy.' That it did. Sadly, the Print Screen didn't seem to have worked during the final boss, so here's the stats that I remember:

8 Shield
6 or so Engine (piled all the scrap left into evasion in Sector 8)
6 Weapon (Beam Mark II, Smart Bomb II, Anti-Bio Beam, Heavy Laser II)
5 Drone (Heavy Defense II)

And that's the biggest things. I realized that taking ships whole was fucking great, and started doing specific damages to neutralize their shields, then literally disintegrated the enemy crew. I got great catches now and again. I didn't use any missiles until the end-game, and at around 47, I was down to a round 13. Taking out that Missile Launcher was first priority, then Ion. After that, shields, and then I'd switch to both lasers and pummel out the bastards.

I got the Defense Drone early, around Sector 3, and I'd share its energy with that of my shields whenever a ship armed with missiles arrived. The five-laser barrages were efficient to take out pretty much anything, and the six-man crew was helpful for keeping most stages operating and also capable of fighting back. An Anti-Ship I was also useful when I wanted more firepower for less.

And I still only have the default ship and the Engi one D:

Playing this game reminded me of another awesome indie game, this one from a flash competition years back (you should check out all the submissions for some awesome treats. The game was "Hell Tour," and you can find it here:

http://jayisgames.com/cgdc6/

Basically you buff up your player with the currency you accrue, similar to the ship in FTL. What's nifty though is you get different endings depending on your builds. If you like the edging into power that this game gives you, you might want to try this little flash gem out too :)

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coincidence! My friend showed me some of these this morning. Better Planets and Backgrounds was an obvious choice, but me and him started using Infinite Space_0.3.2, and man, this is what the game should've been. Albeit, it's fucking hard now. I found this on the first sector:

http://i.imgur.com/HNAyb.jpg

The roguelike randomness has been turned up to 11. Play it like you've never lived before.

Reactions: Sterling

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems I should have got into FTL mods sooner- though FTL is probably the only new game I have played since April or so I had not really done anything on mods for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Gross. lol