EA Releasing SimCity Offline

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so fucking mutch true. DRM and DLC are wall stree ideas for the gaming world. It target constant cash flow, revenues, but it never was not an artistical idea.

DRM isn't inherently bad or evil, and honestly, it's perfectly reasonable for companies to want to put some restrictions on their games. I mean, can you seriously blame developers and publishers for not wanting people to steal their shit? (I appreciate what devs like CD Projekt Red do, but it'd be unreasonable to expect every developer to approach DRM the same way.)

Hell, look at Steam. Steam is, when you get right down to it, DRM. Seems like people are pretty happy with their sales and whatnot.

The problem isn't with DRM as a whole, it's with bad DRM, DRM that inhibits the player's experience. SimCity's DRM wasn't bad just because it was DRM, it was bad because it utterly broke the game.

TL;DR: Stop the DR-enMity.

(The same goes with DLC, but that's a completely different topic.)

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DRM isn't inherently bad or evil, and honestly, it's perfectly reasonable for companies to want to put some restrictions on their games. I mean, can you seriously blame developers and publishers for not wanting people to steal their shit? (I appreciate what devs like CD Projekt Red do, but it'd be unreasonable to expect every developer to approach DRM the same way.)

Hell, look at Steam. Steam is, when you get right down to it, DRM. Seems like people are pretty happy with their sales and whatnot.

The problem isn't with DRM as a whole, it's with bad DRM, DRM that inhibits the player's experience. SimCity's DRM wasn't bad just because it was DRM, it was bad because it utterly broke the game.

TL;DR: Stop the DR-enMity.

(The same goes with DLC, but that's a completely different topic.)

Yeah but DRM is different from forced online connectivity to play a game, and it's even worse when it's a single player game. Most people can tolerate a system like Steam which is both a content provider and a form of DRM, but the DRM is really a non factor in the overall in your ability to enjoy the game. The majority of games with offline components can be played offline when the program is running in offline mode, so it doesn't hinder your ability to enjoy your purchases. That was a totally different scenario with a game like SimCity 5, Age of Empires Online was another victim of stupid management and forced online play for what is generally a single player game with an online multiplayer component.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/engineering-offline-play-for-simcity

Looks like they had to rewrite a majority of the game just to get an offline mode working.

And before everyone is all like "LOL BUT THERE WAS AN OFFLINE MOD LIKE A WEEK AFTER THE GAME RELEASED", it didn't work 100% and had various issues.
This time is not only a server emulator, I think that was clear here. My question about this feature is that no Sim City game should be allowed to be released without a proper single player mode, so that's why people are saying that it is one year later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: