PCSX2 HD texture pack group

Difficult games and impossible to make texture packs

paynexkiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I noticed that two games that were listed here were actually done. Those being The Haunting and Resident Evil: Dead Aim. Did something change or did people just get patient enough to get that done?

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Or

Just edit transparency threshold to make the texture fully visible or you could just disable its alpha layer within the RGB layers.

I dont get, from what I basically seen just now having a quick look, why people are creating "HD" texture packs, but your simply re scalling the default base textures.

This isnt exactly what you'd call a HD re texture pack, having a program that simply applies a filter to smoothen off pixels when increasing its overall size, is still the same texture... just at dimension and smooth filters applied.

Its resolution scale too isnt exactly changed regardless if your file size may suggest differently.

Id have thought the purpose of one creating a HD texture pack would be to physically re create every single texture within the game.

If you have ever seen any of the N64 texture projects that shows the point of a HD texture pack with each texture being manually re created from scratch, not simply taking the games default base textures and multiplying its dimensions x times and applying an output filter.

Its pretty much like playing a game on a smaller/bigger screen, your not exactly seeing anything different.

Problems ps2 games have with transparency is different to other consoles inc pc, you dont need to do anything fancy or use any tools, if using GIMP you can simply alter it from I think its default is 0.5, or simply untick its alpha chanel layer.

You don't really need to edit it either if you are to simply rescale base textures as it seems folks are, simply toggle it off so you can see what you are doing (be it nothing much), then export it.

The emulator will still pick up its alpha profile layer unless you manually changed it, hiding its layer in GIMP isnt disabling it at all.
We make HD Texture packs so we don't deal with pixelated graphics when running at 3x+ Native Resolution and a bigger screen does make a difference in perceived aliasing. These packs aren't really for "purists" as only a CRT TV can give such an experience. We use upscale models because we don't have the time to remaster the whole game and to give an alternative to CRTs since you can't use HDR or tower speakers with that setup.

There are models out there that specialize in smoothing while some models are sharper than others (I prefer the sharper ones). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe people make unique textures for N64/Gamecube games because Nintendo is so gung-ho on copyright that they can't even modify the source textures, unlike other console companies that don't care as much. If people could use models for GameCube games, I bet they would, they're just afraid (and so am I) to do so, so I stick to PS2 games.

SadOrigami's the only one making manual textures in this group, I do agree that the generic ESRGAN model everyone uses isn't the best for single-model upscales, but the "HD" in texture packs just means not pixelated in this sense. People aren't labeling their packs with basic info like what models they used so I've made a site that tracks which ones are labeled properly. A good upscale model should make assumptions on how to arrange the pixels, It's not as simple as 4x'ing and plopping pixels in between, no single model is best for any single game but of course, the more models you use the more time it takes to make which most people don't have that amount of time for unpaid work.

Karoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
list of games that are currently impossible or very difficult to make.

View attachment 411296

LIST:
Battlefield 2 - Modern Combat
Ben 10 - Alien Force - Vilgax Attacks
Crash of the Titans
Disney's Treasure Planet
Drakengard 2
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin (drops corrupted images and does not load textures)
The Incredible Hulk - Ultimate Destruction
Medal of Honor - European Assault
MotorStorm - Arctic Edge
Resident Evil - Dead Aim
Sega Rally 2006
Summoner 2 (I'm doing it, but it will take a while to be ready, the game drops a lot of images quickly.)
Spectral vs. Generation
The Simpsons - Hit & Run
Why are these impossible or very hard? What causes this? I'm new to the scene so sorry for the dumb questions :)

mvp899

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why are these impossible or very hard? What causes this? I'm new to the scene so sorry for the dumb questions :)
Some games drop corrupted infinite images or the game becomes unplayable when dropping.

Karoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Some games drop corrupted infinite images or the game becomes unplayable when dropping.
Ah that makes sense. I have two projects I want to try and remake the images for. Let's hope the dump goes good tonight :)

Reactions: mvp899

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: