Desperate Times Call For Desperate Pleasures

MeteoXavier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gutentag, I am that which is self-titled Meteo Xavier. I am an old religious or quasi-religious man with autism and mental illness created by infantile head trauma and a weird form of chronic depression that often results in total depersonalization. I work 70+ hours a week and pretty much all of them online, which means I need online social strata to buffer the strain. A lot of the forums I used to frequent and make my tiny persona known - GameFaqs, Ocremix, GameCola and some others, are now dead or dying and I needed a new place that's very much alive to get my socialization in.

I've twice been banned from TheIsoZone due to anti-Trump views and discovered, to my horror, that community is a huge festering honeycomb of Trump thumpers, Gamergate folks and rabid alt. right. I'm hoping GBATemp is not the same.

Additionally, I am a published author, a published musician, a mildly accomplished video game music remixer (I'm the assistant director for the still-going-to-come-out-someday Ocremix Seiken Densetsu 3 project, been on that for like 10 years now) and one of my side careers in video game composition is slowly growing more successfully. I would like to post and share creative work I've done as it befits the GBATemp rules and regulations and without being nearly as spammy as other ***damn newbie VGM composers do.

My friends are video games (the very lifeblood of my existence since age 5), religious study, martial arts, science, paranormal subjects, open-mindedness, emulation, vidja game music, prog rock, Japanese culture (I'm a novice weeaboo), anime and British Comedy.

My enemies are atheism, elitism, irrationality, right-wing politics, homophobes, anti-science people, anti-vaxxers, newb composers who shill their stuff constantly with no idea how marketing works, and people who openly dislike or hate children (not people who don't want children of their own or people who aren't comfortable being around children, I mean people who straight up hate children and are proud of it).

That's as much of me as I know to introduce now. I hope to not be a troublemaker here and enjoy a potentially long run in this community. Thank you.

Reactions: Xzi

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, as a whole, politically, GBAtemp finds itself in some wild debates from time to time. But so long as you keep to calm debating, its likely no one will get too up in arms. As far as USA politics go, it seems like we've got vocal members dotted across the line. As far as Gamergate goes, I don't think we've ever really had that stuff around here? If not, then I missed out on some fun debating. (I frequent KIA to laugh and see their salt)

This is one of the more friendly forums afaik, because the rest are kinda trash these days lol.

Be sure to keep to the rules, and you'll likely become accepted quickly.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh you sound like a great guy. Pretty sure you will like the temp!

I sincerely dislike politics and religions as a whole due to the drama that those creates, but this place is open to friendly debates and mods are always keeping an eye on them. So, if you find users crossing the line, dont forget to report them!

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be sure to keep to the rules, and you'll likely become accepted quickly.
or don't, and get banned very loudly and obnoxiously, leaving behind a meme that will live forever
it's a joke, please don't hate me anymore
I've twice been banned from TheIsoZone due to anti-Trump views and discovered, to my horror, that community is a huge festering honeycomb of Trump thumpers, Gamergate folks and rabid alt. right. I'm hoping GBATemp is not the same.
Nobody is going to ban you for an opinion here, which is why I like it. Just so long as you're not expecting people to be censored for theirs. There are some people on the internet who respond to alternative viewpoints with a "purge the infidel" outlook which doesn't befit a critical thinker, and that applies to both the left and the right.
If your views are airtight and forged in the fires of real debate and research, nobody who's worth a damn will begrudge you them. Respectfully do the same, and you'll do just fine.

Also, that's a nice first five characters you have on your name there.

MeteoXavier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you could just put hypocrisy in either section... doesn't really matter...

I'm fine with having flaws in consistency. When you get as old as I often confuse myself for being, you get to a point where you accept bias and philosophy as the varnished looking glass that it is and just make do with it.

As for the rest, WOW, I don't think I've ever had such a warm welcome on any forum I've ever been on, and I've been doing this stuff since 1996. I hope to live up to your expectations here.

Reactions: Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My enemies are atheism, elitism, irrationality, right-wing politics, homophobes, anti-science people, anti-vaxxers, newb composers who shill their stuff constantly with no idea how marketing works, and people who openly dislike or hate children (not people who don't want children of their own or people who aren't comfortable being around children, I mean people who straight up hate children and are proud of it)
Probably should be the devil's advocate here.
  • Atheists are just doing their thing, you do yours. On the whole, they're pretty disinterested in any kind of anti-religious stuff unless they're being directly impacted by oppression, or are speaking for others that are.
  • Elitism is probably bad, but it's important to show respect to people who've done quite a lot. There's lots of people in this community that I respect a lot. I joke around, but it's good to defer to others with cool skillsets.
  • Irrationality is a thing most people partake in. It's important to be able to recognize it in yourself, first, before you point it out in others. Always question yourself first, because you need to be self-consistent. Hypocrisies are the downfall of many a powerful person.
  • Right-wing politics is an idealogy that I don't agree with, for the most part. However, it is also important to remember that political idealogy doesn't define a person. It's important not to lose friends, time, or sleep over someone's views. It's also a good idea to point out flaws in your own 'side' to make it stronger. Having strong issues with the right is okay, but not at the expense of the left being degraded.
  • Homophobes are bad. I have no issue with this. I wouldn't kill them or shut them up, but it's not cool to hate on things someone has no way of changing.
  • Anti-science is also bad, because it speaks of an egotism I don't like in people. Science has been rigorously refined and perfected over the entire recorded history of our species, and disagreeing with established norms without sufficient proof is pretty damn cancerous.
  • Anti-vax is about the same as I said in my last point.
  • Composing for me is a hobby, I generally use Sibelius 6. I don't really market my stuff, but it's important to let people have their hustle. Calling them newbs is also a small contravention of the elitism problem you had earlier.
  • People who genuinely hate children are to be pitied, not hated. The cause of that was probably a great deal of pain, and that it created such a bitter and detestable individual is a tragedy.
All in all, calling out a great selection of people is probably a bad idea, because they will likely take that first shot as acknowledgement of you as an enemy, to be ignored or destroyed. You cannot change hearts nor minds with this mindset of rigid detestation. Of course, as you say, you are on the spectrum, and it took me a very long time to evade that pitfall.

TL;DR: Live and let live.

Reactions: Pleng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, I think (non homebrew) roms arent posted here
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ah ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that case is huge, but is cool.
  • D @ dadadad:
    I was installing mods for games, but when I removed the romfs folder, an error occurred. Now when I try to launch the game, I see a yellow screen, and I have to reboot the switch. Reinstalling the game didn't help. Can you advise me on what to do to launch the game without mods?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @dadadad delete sd:\atmosphere\contents
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should find out from the mod dev how to uninstall it. Every mod is different on how you install/uninstall.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if...