Misc Danball Senki W Chou Custom: Help with some formats.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all,
One of the projects I plan to look into some time into the future is a translation of Danball Senki W Chou Custom. I have been mapping out the structure and I can access most formats, however, it is packed with the notorious tri-ace sh*t, so it doesn't have a coherent filestructure.

It is full of .rif and .seek files. I have used quickbms with the rifunpacker, which outputs some .slz files. I then used the slz bms script and I get .unslz.

Nothing I can find online points to how I can open those .unslz files. Seems it was used in Star Force or something, another game tri-ace messed with. I have a feeling theyre 3d models/mesh points/animations, but something in my head just won't click. The method to view them is probably super obvious and I can't see it lol.

Most of this game is purely images, since its basically a PSP port with a bit extra. Now, going off the assumption that .rif/seek are 3dmodels/2dmesh, and that 99% of the game is .aif, that would rule out any chance of the text I am after being in those formats, unless I am wrong.

I seem to have found everything but the models and story text. Both don't really matter as it's a menu-heavy game and I can edit those already, but if I can do a full patch, I would.

The romfs contains 3 files:
DA2File_n3ds.cpk - the biggest of the three. Contains .rif/.seek and .AWB (audio)
DA2File_ctr_res.cpk - full of .aif images and a .bin (cmblot.bin)
DA2File_n3ds_dbg.cpk - contains a small amount of .rif/.seek

If someone could help me figure out these last few formats, I can start to work towards a translation patch :)

plasma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of an update.

I have managed to find the character portraits that show before battles, map images and other assets.

The .unslz format just means its not a tri-ace file anymore, it's like it has no file extension. I was able to open the IMAG_.unslz as it is actually an .aif format image
1682188987472.png

However, I do see alot of files that when uncompressed, I still have no clue how to open them. They are all appended with .unslz, and I can't see much in the header of the files to figure out how to open them.

ANIM_, MESH_ are the LBX models/character models, but theres others like SCE_, RMDT_, RMD_, that I am a bit unsure about.

Last edited by plasma,

plasma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another update: I've been able to document what types of files the .unslz are by looking at the headers. It seems the header (or part of it), is reversed.

ANIM_.unslz = .AAF
IMAG.unslz = .AIF
MESH.unslz = .ASF

I think MESH.unslz is the models I am looking for, given it's a .ASF format. Star Ocean, another tri-ace game, uses .ASF to store models, but the tools I have found for those games to unpack a .ASF don't work for these, making me think its a different type of .ASF.

Header of a MESH.unslz

1683259942459.png

MythosX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda wish I could help but I know nothing of code and my translation skills are as good as an AI can translate
Post automatically merged:

Another update: I've been able to document what types of files the .unslz are by looking at the headers. It seems the header (or part of it), is reversed.

ANIM_.unslz = .AAF
IMAG.unslz = .AIF
MESH.unslz = .ASF

I think MESH.unslz is the models I am looking for, given it's a .ASF format. Star Ocean, another tri-ace game, uses .ASF to store models, but the tools I have found for those games to unpack a .ASF don't work for these, making me think its a different type of .ASF.

Header of a MESH.unslz

View attachment 369071
Hey there Plasma. I am new to LBX and I saw your post. Are you still working of the translation of the game? It's kinda sad that this and Wars never got released to the west

Kagexice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this project still going? im super interested in playing the sequel in english if it can become a reality
Post automatically merged:

Is this project still going? im super interested in playing the sequel in english if it can become a reality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto