Club Nintendo (UK) update - Mario Coasters

riggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
With the European Club Nintendo service set to close next month, Nintendo are releasing the last batch of merchandise for anyone with stars left to register/spend. Yesterdays update comes in the form of some Mario-themed drinks coasters;

AXJTWFT.jpg

They cost 2500 stars for a pack of 2. Details here: http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_GB

With the Mario Kart 8 trophies getting a re-release the other week, along with a few other upcoming items, it looks like the EUR service is going out with a bang. There's also talk of a "Goodbye Coin" becoming available at some point, which I'm guessing will be similar in style to the 25th Mario/Year of Luigi coins.

On a side note, if any of you kind folk have some unregistered points you're willing to donate, I'll gladly take them - I'm around 1000 points short for either the Marjoras Mask or Captain Toad statues ;-)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow...just...wow. I can't even begin to think what the guys who came up with this were thinking.

Marketeer 1: guys! I know...How about...coasters? :D
Marketeer 2: coasters? You mean those carbon plates you put underneath your glass?
Marketeer 1: exactly! How about we put that in the shop? :D
Marketeer 2: sounds kind of lame. Who still uses that?
Marketeer 1: if we had a few, we could be using them right here in this meeting!
Marketeer 2: but we do have them. In fact, there are so many things we COULD be using but we DON'T. Want to guess why? Because it's stupid.
Marketeer 1: it's because we don't have dedicated coasters. If it is made to do just that, people will use it.
Marketeer 2: my girlfriend bought us those at one occasion. If I want to pick a fight with her, I just point out that our guests just put their drinks directly next to them.
Marketeer 1: hurm...anyway: I think we should put it in our shop. At the very least it'll show our fans we still care about them.
Marketeer 2: so...Mario themed coasters, then?
Marketeer 3: hmm...won't that make Mario look all strange and distorted when looked at through a drinking glass?
Marketeer 1: damn...you're right! Okay...so no Mario characters. We'll use some other assets.
Marketeer 2: huh? You want Mario themed coasters without Mario.
Marketeer 1: yeah, no...we make more than the characters, you know.
Marketeer 3: like...the flower?
Marketeer 1: exactly! The flower. That'll make a perfect coaster!
Marketeer 2: Mario's fire flower? Why would anyone want that? Without Mario around, it won't have the same impact.
Marketeer 1: okay, we'll need more ideas. Flowers...what's next?
Marketeer 3: *inspiration time is over* I don't know.
Marketeer 1: come on! we're payed for our ideas here. Think of something!
Marketeer 3: I'm telling you: I'm hitting a mental brick wall.
Marketeer 1: that's IT! The wall! :D And the question mark as well, while we're at it! :D
Marketeer 2: who would possibly want to have that as a coaster? A piece of...WALL?
Marketeer 1: fine, fine...we'll add a bomb character in, sourpuss. Can we get on with it?
Marketeer 2: <*sigh*> okay, okay. I still dislike it, but perhaps with some 3D relief or holographic background, it might spark some interest.
Marketeer 3: sorry...we don't have a budget for that.
Marketeer 2: what? Okay...so how about we'll make some screenshots of levels putting our items in the center foreground?
Marketeer 1: naaah...too much work. Just the images will do fine.
Marketeer 2: <*in vain hope*> in crisp HD quality?
Marketeer 3: HD? You're dreaming, buddy. This company got BIG on 8 bit...so that's what it'll be.
Marketeer 2: but...but...you're making it look more lame with every sentence! Surely we need something to draw in customers. Why would anyone REALLY want it?
Marketeer 1: exclusivity!
Marketeer 2: That only works if there is need to collect. I think collectors would even be too embarrassed to buy this.
Marketeer 3: that's it!
Marketeer 2: thank you.
Marketeer 3: no! We need to REALLY overprice this. How about we'll sell them by the pair of the same image, and make each one more expensive than, say, most SNES VC?
Marketeer 2: and you really think anyone will buy THIS over SNES VC?
Marketeer 3: we're aiming at those who already have all of those, so we're practically in the clear.
Marketeer 1: LET'S DO IT! :D
Marketeer 3: YEEEEEEY! :D
Marketeer 2: <*quits job*>

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had 1000 stars for years, there is literally nothing useful i can get with them so they will just end up going to waste, I never thought there was ever any decent items on the European club nintendo, the American one always seemed so much better

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on EU Club Nintendo and I managed to scramble together 3500 stars and got Pullblox.

riggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The Legend of Zelda carry case and Luigis Mansion dioramas are also now back in stock at 4000 and 7000 points respectively.

RMnrNyN.jpg

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've had 1000 stars for years, there is literally nothing useful i can get with them so they will just end up going to waste, I never thought there was ever any decent items on the European club nintendo, the American one always seemed so much better
You can get like 750 points by linking your Nintendo ID to the Club Nintendo website so it could perhaps be useful for something.

riggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And another update; Mario Card Matching Game and Kirby's Dream Blanket (!) now available.

bQTjLQ7.png

I wouldn't mind the cards - they'd go well with my Hanafuda, Animal Crossing and "Premium" decks.

I reckon all that's left now is the coin, which'll probably become available sometime next month.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Wow...just...wow. I can't even begin to think what the guys who came up with this were thinking.

Marketeer 1: guys! I know...How about...coasters? :D
Marketeer 2: coasters? You mean those carbon plates you put underneath your glass?
Marketeer 1: exactly! How about we put that in the shop? :D
Marketeer 2: sounds kind of lame. Who still uses that?
Marketeer 1: if we had a few, we could be using them right here in this meeting!
Marketeer 2: but we do have them. In fact, there are so many things we COULD be using but we DON'T. Want to guess why? Because it's stupid.
Marketeer 1: it's because we don't have dedicated coasters. If it is made to do just that, people will use it.
Marketeer 2: my girlfriend bought us those at one occasion. If I want to pick a fight with her, I just point out that our guests just put their drinks directly next to them.
Marketeer 1: hurm...anyway: I think we should put it in our shop. At the very least it'll show our fans we still care about them.
Marketeer 2: so...Mario themed coasters, then?
Marketeer 3: hmm...won't that make Mario look all strange and distorted when looked at through a drinking glass?
Marketeer 1: damn...you're right! Okay...so no Mario characters. We'll use some other assets.
Marketeer 2: huh? You want Mario themed coasters without Mario.
Marketeer 1: yeah, no...we make more than the characters, you know.
Marketeer 3: like...the flower?
Marketeer 1: exactly! The flower. That'll make a perfect coaster!
Marketeer 2: Mario's fire flower? Why would anyone want that? Without Mario around, it won't have the same impact.
Marketeer 1: okay, we'll need more ideas. Flowers...what's next?
Marketeer 3: *inspiration time is over* I don't know.
Marketeer 1: come on! we're payed for our ideas here. Think of something!
Marketeer 3: I'm telling you: I'm hitting a mental brick wall.
Marketeer 1: that's IT! The wall! :D And the question mark as well, while we're at it! :D
Marketeer 2: who would possibly want to have that as a coaster? A piece of...WALL?
Marketeer 1: fine, fine...we'll add a bomb character in, sourpuss. Can we get on with it?
Marketeer 2: <*sigh*> okay, okay. I still dislike it, but perhaps with some 3D relief or holographic background, it might spark some interest.
Marketeer 3: sorry...we don't have a budget for that.
Marketeer 2: what? Okay...so how about we'll make some screenshots of levels putting our items in the center foreground?
Marketeer 1: naaah...too much work. Just the images will do fine.
Marketeer 2: <*in vain hope*> in crisp HD quality?
Marketeer 3: HD? You're dreaming, buddy. This company got BIG on 8 bit...so that's what it'll be.
Marketeer 2: but...but...you're making it look more lame with every sentence! Surely we need something to draw in customers. Why would anyone REALLY want it?
Marketeer 1: exclusivity!
Marketeer 2: That only works if there is need to collect. I think collectors would even be too embarrassed to buy this.
Marketeer 3: that's it!
Marketeer 2: thank you.
Marketeer 3: no! We need to REALLY overprice this. How about we'll sell them by the pair of the same image, and make each one more expensive than, say, most SNES VC?
Marketeer 2: and you really think anyone will buy THIS over SNES VC?
Marketeer 3: we're aiming at those who already have all of those, so we're practically in the clear.
Marketeer 1: LET'S DO IT! :D
Marketeer 3: YEEEEEEY! :D
Marketeer 2: <*quits job*>

Meanwhile at NoA:

1: Let's give them a boatload of games that we've given out before.
2: Sounds good.
Reggie, 1, 2: *laughter*
Reggie: Oh and let's close it well before anyone else does.
Reggie, 1, 2: *laughter*

riggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Back again with another update.

5473-55e0173fa632b.png
5473-55e017486e2a7.png
5473-55e017566472a.png
5473-55e017638a7ef.png

"Adiós! Au revoir! Auf Wiedersehen! Arrivederci! さようなら! Goodbye!
Help give Club Nintendo a fitting send-off with this 30-track, double-disc collection of credit rolls and ending themes. Spanning NES to Wii U, the accompanying hard-back book contains extensive liner notes in English, with Japanese artwork and screenshots. With several tracks taken from games that never left Japan, including some with Japanese lyrics, this is the ideal music collection to listen to at the close of Club Nintendo around the world.
Please note: The hard-back book included with this item is in English only."

Reactions: Doran754

riggs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And another update (which I'll assume is the final one); the Goodbye Coin (500 stars more expensive than I was expecting!)

5495-55e562bb8e7b4.png
5495-55e562c4f36a0.png
5495-55e562d099400.png
5495-55e562d98d093.png

"A commemorative ‘thank you’ from Club Nintendo
This attractive coin is stamped with the waving Super Mario Bros. plus ‘thank you’ in Japanese on one side, and the Club Nintendo logo on the other. It even comes in a special velvet, drawstring pouch, perfect for keeping this pretty penny safe!
Please note: the coin is silver-plated only. Coin is approx 40mm in diameter and 3mm thick. Pouch is approx. 50mm x 60mm.
"

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I hope that's an awful joke. The NA Club Nintendo didn't have anything. Europe gets all the cool stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it'll give ya time to practice anyway