Another USB issue post ( Using 2 hard drives issue )

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why its so hard to set up your system. My last thought is setting the loader ios in the meta.xml to 58 and trying the different loader ios in the loader settings. Like here mentioned https://gbatemp.net/threads/another-usb-issue-post-using-2-hard-drives-issue.616711/post-9901411

And i think its better trying tomorrow again.

ya idk, like i said i had it setup before just fine i thought. The settings in the USB loader where u can select USB port 0 or 1, is there any settings in there specifc also i need to change that maybe ive overlooked?

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya ima eat something, legit haven't ate since i started on this, ill honestly probably keep on working on it as im OCD with this stuff and gonna urk me why it aint working when it worked fine before, if i ever get it working ill update post

appelgebakje22

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I double checked everything and made made some photos of my configuration.

The vWii HDD is in port 1 like I said before, because both Boot IOS and Loader IOS is set to 58, it will skip the “reinitializing devices” stage on boot. This also causes it to scan from 3 to 0 instead of starting at port 0. Putting the vWii in the higher port fixes this. Maybe try setting your configuration without the Wii U HDD attached, (change a random setting to make sure it’s changed so it saves to sd, change it back later) and reboot with the WiiU HDD attached again

Attachments

• CC8FFD73-DB64-4E36-8DCE-7371316A8815.jpeg
    CC8FFD73-DB64-4E36-8DCE-7371316A8815.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • F8A93686-DC66-4B84-9909-66DAD65EC005.jpeg
    F8A93686-DC66-4B84-9909-66DAD65EC005.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 7FEC515E-2BF7-4385-8E61-8DB9CA1F3456.jpeg
    7FEC515E-2BF7-4385-8E61-8DB9CA1F3456.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 7F758829-BA44-47FB-B9E8-A8FD8BF1D205.jpeg
    7F758829-BA44-47FB-B9E8-A8FD8BF1D205.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • B908B39D-F953-48AD-A2A8-996068FE02C0.jpeg
    B908B39D-F953-48AD-A2A8-996068FE02C0.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 197CFFF5-6A85-451D-9744-30D2141BA9AF.jpeg
    197CFFF5-6A85-451D-9744-30D2141BA9AF.jpeg
    727.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Sypherone

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol man no joke i legit have still been at it since my last post untill just now....ive tried every port, configuration, CIOS number combos back and forth and so like 2hrs ago i actually got it to boot correctly right, like gamecube showed but...no wii games showed so i was like wtf...so i left the CIOS as they were and started different combos again and even formatted drives and made sure they were both MBR still same results...

So i googled....and i came across a post...that said same thing i was having issue with which was gamecube showed but not wii...was waiting for some complciated process and nope...all i had to do was check a check box to show wii games...2hrs....just for that 1 problem but i do think the overall issue is fixed, im like dead tired though so i may not even recall what i did but as far as i can tell it is working as my GC and Wii are showing and matter of fact as i look up at ur pics i just happen to land on same settings it seems on the 58 and 251 and everything else looks same, wish i would of checked sooner though and seen the pic of the wii check box lol...

I appreciate u doing all that and taking the pics cause i 100% bet someone else just like me will need that

Im going to head to bed but once i wake up im going to confirm what i did and write it out so with ur pics and my trial and error of over 12hrs, should be able to fix any issue related to this in the future for anyone lol...

Reactions: Sypherone

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, if everything runs well it would be appricated if you write out your trial and errors. Especially the final configuration of your working setup, so we can take it as reference for others to help. 👍

appelgebakje22

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, if everything runs well it would be appricated if you write out your trial and errors. Especially the final configuration of your working setup, so we can take it as reference for others to help. 👍

Basically my first comment with the addition of making sure the Wii games checkbox is active on the USBLoaderGX boot screen.

Not trying to boast, but if future people read this, follow the first comment of this thread and check the screenshots of comment #23

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is really a point, some got crazy because the check box for displaying Wii games was unchecked. I dont know why it isnt written somewhere in config. Because everytime you change something like changing version of gx loader it will unchecked automatically.

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya once i get back home and settled ill go through what i did, i mean i could now technically as all i did was try different combinations but first this is what stands out to me as why it took so long.

From what i read before u always and only use the back ports for Vwii, not Wiiu at all. Wiiu always goes to the front ports on consoles so i never even tried combos of both in the back which leads me to my next head scratcher.

If i have the Vwii Main data port in Port 1 which is bottom port right? If i have that just by itself there the GC and Wii games wont show...BUT....if i plug in the WiiU drive from front into the top back port 0 and restart now the Vwii and GC games show???? Anyone care to explain that? I thought i got my hds crossed but nope i did double and triple check so what does my Wiiu drive having to be plugged in effect my Vwii drive working???

Once i started hooking them both up to the back ports is when i started getting it working just honestly confused why that works or even how because i use to have just my Vwii in back and my WiiU in front but ya what finally worked for me

Loaders 58
Games 251 ( was on 249 when it started working honestly but also worked on 251 as the GC games showed but not the wii games but once i got to 251 is when i figured out the checkmark issue )

Vwii HD plugged into bottom port
Wiiu Top Port

Splitter power cables plugged into external power source and not the WiiU

I also noticed that when i used the Y splitter cables power into a external power the WiiU HD would stay lit up now even when it was failing on the reinitializing part which led me to think maybe the wiiu wasnt after all putting out enough power to the drives in that moment anyway as before the WiiU would flicker off then blink real slow, with external power it stayed on.

So ya some of the fixes dont make sense to me like why does WiiU drive have to be plugged into back in Port 0 to make my Vwii in Port 1 work?

Would like to figure that out before i settle on this config but ya as of right now, its working and am in progress of transferring my games and converted them to proper format.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
slider6996 said:
So ya some of the fixes dont make sense to me like why does WiiU drive have to be plugged into back in Port 0 to make my Vwii in Port 1 work?

Because the cios 249/250/251 with d2x v10 beta 52 has a module implemented (allows higher transferrates) wich is dont supported by all drives and only support port 0.

The standart ios 58 with USB 2.0 has a higher compatibility (but slower then d2x) on drives. It checks for drives starting at front port 3 and goes backwards to port 0.

So if u plug in your WiiU hdd in front port, the ios 58 seems to stucks there (issue,bug?) because it cant initialize the hdd and the specific fileformat wbfs. So if the WiiU hdd is in port 0 and the vWii hdd is in port 1,2 or 3 and, it cant stuck there.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: appelgebakje22

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the cios 249/250/251 with d2x v10 beta 52 has a module implemented (allows higher transferrates) wich is dont supported by all drives and only support port 0.

The standart ios 58 with USB 2.0 has a higher compatibility (but slower then d2x) on drives. It checks for drives starting at front port 3 and goes backwards to port 0.

So if u plug in your WiiU hdd in front port, the ios 58 seems to stucks there (issue,bug?) because it cant initialize the hdd and the specific fileformat wbfs. So if the WiiU hdd is in port 0 and the vWii hdd is in port 1,2 or 3 and, it cant stuck there.

Ya it was weird and maybe i was using a different something or another but ya like i said least its working, gonna have to order a usb dock or something as it was all janky way i had to do it so guess ill order one of those and mount it up there, found one that has off buttons as dont wanna leave the HDs on constantly even if console off but hey least them 12hr+ finally paid off lol.

Appreciate all the help and hopefully someone else finds this useful.

slider6996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if u dont mind, could u point me in the proper direction of a update wii mod guide as a friend wants hers done and i found a page but not sure if its up to date and also if it has multiple exploits which one is the best one to use?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ds is is 20 years old this year