Hardware C-stick replacement help?

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys just ordered psp joystick to put on the c-stick as I've seen on the internet. I've seen two ways

1. This way is so u don't have to open up the 3ds. Pull the rubber thing and try to snip ship it so u can pull it out

2. Open 3ds. Unscrew back face plate,unscrew so u can see inside and then just take the rubber piece out.

So curious if anyone has personally done this. Which way is better? Also thinking if I open it, I can always take psp joystick of and put back rubber piece if I sell it.

Thanks in advance

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did the second way yesterday with no problems. The only thing I'd note is to make sure that the left shoulder ribbon bends properly when you reassemble the case. It needs to fold back over itself twice a bit like this:
\
/
\
I didn't do that at first and created an indent in the cable while trying to seal the case because of it. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have affected functionality at all. As for which method is better, I think it all depends on whether you are willing to destroy the original cap. If you don't care, then go for it. If you don't want to destroy it, then remove it properly.

Reactions: WOOO1234

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Any trick to refolding that strip?

Also do I need a different screw driver or will the same one I used to take off back plate work for inner screws?

Last edited by WOOO1234,

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just push it slightly to the left. The weight of the little padding strip on the ribbon should make it refold itself properly. You'll be able to tell if it folded properly because the back cover will go back on properly near the shoulders. If it isn't folded correctly then the back will pop up around half a centimeter near the shoulders. If you pay attention to how it is folded when you first remove the back cover, then you shouldn't have any problems. My issue was not remembering how it looked as I took it apart. As for the screws, I'm pretty sure I was able to use the same screwdriver on them that I used to unscrew the inner back piece.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K can't wait for them to get here. Lol having trouble time remembering yesterday? Also what's ur opinion, is it better than the original c-stick? I noticed when I was playing resident evil that the c-stick is poop.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse than that, I forgot how it was folded within a couple minutes of taking it apart! As for whether this mod is better, I can't really say. I haven't really had the time to test it out yet. Although to be honest, I haven't played any games that use the C-stick since getting my New 3DS around two weeks ago. I just heard that this mod was a big improvement, so I did it. :P

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games that use c-stick for camera I believe monster Hunter, possibly Zelda, resindent evil, games like that I hoping it improves I've seen people do this paper trick but would rather put on new stuck. Lol I watch some more videos so I can see the inside before I try. Lol I have memory like that XD

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad news the two screws to get off back plate, are different than the ones under the back plate. I tried to use a tech deck screw driver and even that wasn't small enough.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're planning to put back the c-stick nub in the future, you're going to have to open up the 3DS one day anyhow. Might as well do that as a one time affair.

The effort to disassemble the 3DS to get to the nub is highly risky. Are you ready to accept possibly damaging the other internal components over a $3 part?

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does tugging on the the rubber nub loosen or possibly break anything inside? Any suggestions would help. I figured from what I say wasn't to bad to do as long as ur careful with the two "bands" that attach the two big pieces together, it seem pretty easy. And reason for that way is if I sell it maybe the buyer would prefer the original nub as compared to the psp mod nub. ( Just looking at all points, but I do plan to keep it so as long as that way seems safe I'll have to do it that way.)

Thanks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does tugging on the the rubber nub loosen or possibly break anything inside? Any suggestions would help. I figured from what I say wasn't to bad to do as long as ur careful with the two "bands" that attach the two big pieces together, it seem pretty easy. And reason for that way is if I sell it maybe the buyer would prefer the original nub as compared to the psp mod nub. ( Just looking at all points, but I do plan to keep it so as long as that way seems safe I'll have to do it that way.)

Thanks

The originator of the PSP-1000 cap c-stick mod states you should pry it off with some type of wedge and snip the loops with tiny scissors.
How to Mod Your New 3DS C-Stick

Another video stating to use a flathead screwdriver.
(Fixed) Installing a PSP Stick on a New 3DS XL + Demo

I personally do not recommend the methods employed above as there's a chance of messing up scratching your shell or screen in case whatever you used to prod the nub decided to come off and poke something else.

You can rip the rubber nub straight off by pulling it up with your finger nails. For more details, I wrote a semi-hardmods guide that talks about the PSP-1000 cap and what to expect.

Edit - Tugging straight upward will not damage anything. Do not pull at an angle.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the cap of. The psp cap is on but doesn't feel like its sturdy. I don't want to push to hard and mess it up. It's more like a psp c stick lol than joystick BUT huge improvement when it comes to using the psp cap. I twisted it a little bit and it went on but doesn't feel completely on am I missing something? Or is this just how it is and use the c stick(psp cap) lightly as it wasn't intended to be a joystick?

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the cap of. The psp cap is on but doesn't feel like its sturdy. I don't want to push to hard and mess it up. It's more like a psp c stick lol than joystick BUT huge improvement when it comes to using the psp cap. I twisted it a little bit and it went on but doesn't feel completely on am I missing something? Or is this just how it is and use the c stick(psp cap) lightly as it wasn't intended to be a joystick?
You got a wobbly cap. That happens to some who do this mod. Read that guide I wrote in what to do to fix it. Good luck!

WOOO1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a pack of three caps so I can try other ones but I'll go read what u suggested.

*Edit* I read ur guide and it was kinda helpful. So few questions....

1. It could be the cap?

2. I may have to push on the cap a little more?

3. I might have to take off psp cap and try again?

4. Maybe glue may help?

Thanks again hoping to get it just right so it's nice, just don't want to have to worry about it falling off during game play or when traveling.

Last edited by WOOO1234,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a pack of three caps so I can try other ones but I'll go read what u suggested.

*Edit* I read ur guide and it was kinda helpful. So few questions....

1. It could be the cap?

2. I may have to push on the cap a little more?

3. I might have to take off psp cap and try again?

4. Maybe glue may help?

Thanks again hoping to get it just right so it's nice, just don't want to have to worry about it falling off during game play or when traveling.

The underside of the PSP-1000 cap has these 4 grooves as shown in green in the diagram below. When you press fit the cap onto the 3DS c-stick peg, those grooves wear down. There's a high failure rate of getting a wobbly cap when these grooves don't mesh correctly to the peg. You have to resort to semi-permanent glue when that happens. That's why some people report that the PSP cap sucks compared to the 3DS rubber nub when they either get a wobbly cap (too loose) or bad feedback response (too tight). Both cases are correctable so long you don't use permanent adhesive, like super glue, when you install the PSP cap.

Edit - If you can rock the cap side-to-side, that's too loose or wobbly. If all three of your Insten caps didn't seat in right, you'll need some of Liquid Nails, Amazing GOOP, hot glue, or some sort of clear, rubbery semi-permanent glue.

PSP_1000_cap.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==