RetroArch is now available in the Apple Store for iOS devices

1804196-1684057088.png

Another day, another great emulator that makes its way into the Apple Store for more users to enjoy. With Apple opening its store up to videogame emulators earlier this year, emulators didn't take long to start appearing into the official store, with the Delta emulator being the first one to pop up, and the PS1 emulator Gamma following up just a few days ago, and with the portability of emulator being a key factor, it was only a matter of time before we could start seeing more heavy-hitters in the emulation scene appear in the Apple Store.

The latest frontend for emulators to appear in it is none other than the famous RetroArch that operates with files called "cores", which are the emulators themselves, and users can switch between cores to select which device to emulate, be it from the old days of computer gaming from the 70s/80s, all the way up to games from a decade or-so go, including Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, PS1, N64, Game Boy and its variants, and many, many more. Not only does it offer cores for a wide variety of consoles, but it also offers options when it comes to what emulators to use for each console, like using VBA or mGBA for Game Boy Advance titles.

Users can also expect the usual features from such an emulation application, like native saves, save states, controller configurations and controller support, shaders, fast forward/rewind, cheats and netplay, to name a few, and RetroArch also has compatibility with RetroAchievements, which is a fan-made achievements system for everything retro-games.

Apple users can now download and install RetroArch through the official Apple Store, requiring iOS version 14.2 and above in order to play.

:arrow: Source

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly as a long time android user this does kinda put a dent in one of the reasons I have never owned an iPhone

Still wouldn't consider it given the other apps that are locked out, but a step in the right direction. Maybe one day it will actually be free and open and the ecosystem will be less toxic

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Admittedly as a long time android user this does kinda put a dent in one of the reasons I have never owned an iPhone

Still wouldn't consider it given the other apps that are locked out, but a step in the right direction. Maybe one day it will actually be free and open and the ecosystem will be less toxic

I really want to know how and why Apple made this decision to add emulators all of a sudden.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want to know how and why Apple made this decision to add emulators all of a sudden.
Likely to cover their asses with all the consumer protections laws being passed/enforced in the EU. If they make it look like they're playing nicely in the US, they may be able to avoid stricter regulation here

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds greedy but I was starting to really like the Delta UI with all the box art.
I wish Retroarch had something similar.

I guess I'll have to wait for Provenance emulator.

Reactions: DuoForce

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really hope these also work properly on iPadOS. The fact that there’s literally the same MacBook hardware in the iPad, while limiting it to closed-off mobile apps is unacceptable

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Don't forget that JIT/dynarec is still not allowed so forget about any of the more powerful systems like NDS, PS1 and above.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people are excited for emulators on iPhone. There are so many cheap emulator handhelds you can buy - they are more fun and easier to play than on a touchscreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?