Hello all - Modding a DS Lite and need some soldering help

Norantio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker for many years, and am finally starting my own modding project. I've got a few DS Lites strewn about and decided it was time to do something with them. What I'm attempting to accomplish is turning a base model DS Lite into a "Pokedex DS". I've got the modeling down, and can do most of the soldering work myself, but there are a few things I'm gunna help some help with. As you can see with the pictures below, I've made pretty good progress on the physical design, (everything is still fluid and subject to change). The biggest challenge I have at the moment is the screen cables and connectors. P3 & P4 on the motherboard. To get this to work, I need to extend the ribbon cables from the LCDs, or extend the connectors OFF of the motherboard somehow to reach the LCD ribbon cables. Any help would be much appreciated.

direction with.
1.png
2.png
3.png
PXL_20240507_115719067.jpg
PXL_20240509_121834925.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker for many years, and am finally starting my own modding project. I've got a few DS Lites strewn about and decided it was time to do something with them. What I'm attempting to accomplish is turning a base model DS Lite into a "Pokedex DS". I've got the modeling down, and can do most of the soldering work myself, but there are a few things I'm gunna help some help with. As you can see with the pictures below, I've made pretty good progress on the physical design, (everything is still fluid and subject to change). The biggest challenge I have at the moment is the screen cables and connectors. P3 & P4 on the motherboard. To get this to work, I need to extend the ribbon cables from the LCDs, or extend the connectors OFF of the motherboard somehow to reach the LCD ribbon cables. Any help would be much appreciated.

direction with. View attachment 436162View attachment 436163View attachment 436164View attachment 436165View attachment 436166
That does not look like an easy mod, the modifications needed to make a DS work in portrait mode.
Why GameCube layout? It doesn't really work that well for games that weren't made for it.
Edit: What are all the things on the back? Obviously there's triggers, but what's the black thing on the top, and the white and blue things on the bottom? The blue thing kinda looks like a solar panel.
Also. I don't see a stylus slot. Oversight, or on purpose?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: CoolMe

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That does not look like an easy mod, the modifications needed to make a DS work in portrait mode.
Why GameCube layout? It doesn't really work that well for games that weren't made for it.
Platformers like Mario, while using the X (run) and B (jump) setup, would be just impossible to play (.'_>')
Yeah, I would recommend to stick to the usual A-B-X-Y used on SNES, DS, 3DS, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U and Switch.

Also the speakers have an unfortunate placing, since you'll be positioning your hand over them at all times. Putting them on the back, even if it would make stereo sound not matter, would allow you to actually be able to hear the audio.

Of course, it's just advices. I hope your project sails smoothly! Will be more than glad to see the results of it :D

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Platformers like Mario, while using the X (run) and B (jump) setup, would be just impossible to play (.'_>')
Yeah, I would recommend to stick to the usual A-B-X-Y used on SNES, DS, 3DS, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U and Switch.

Also the speakers have an unfortunate placing, since you'll be positioning your hand over them at all times. Putting them on the back, even if it would make stereo sound not matter, would allow you to actually be able to hear the audio.

Of course, it's just advices. I hope your project sails smoothly! Will be more than glad to see the results of it :D
I think the speaker positioning is actually fine. It's the same as the Game Boy (Color) and I never had issues with my hands covering the speaker on those.

Norantio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: What are all the things on the back? Obviously there's triggers, but what's the black thing on the top, and the white and blue things on the bottom? The blue thing kinda looks like a solar panel.
Also. I don't see a stylus slot. Oversight, or on purpose?
The mod won't be that difficult, as the only remaining items of difficulty are the screen ribbon cables. Button layout is 100% preference, as is the case for every controller ever made. If that weren't the case, no Gamecube game would be playable on any other system, and conversly, no other system could play Gamecube games.
Post automatically merged:

The mod won't be that difficult, as the only remaining items of difficulty are the screen ribbon cables. Button layout is 100% preference, as is the case for every controller ever made. If that weren't the case, no Gamecube game would be playable on any other system, and conversly, no other system could play Gamecube games.
The blocks on the back are to mimic the OG Pokedex. Purely aesthetic.
Post automatically merged:

The speakers work just fine! I usually don't have them on full blast anyway. And it might be blasphemous to say, but I don't like Mario games :mellow: This will primarily be a pokemon and RPG machine

Attachments

• 0_NsHVyfpJ2k7ixTAd.png
    0_NsHVyfpJ2k7ixTAd.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by Norantio,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

direction with. View attachment 436162View attachment 436163View attachment 436164View attachment 436165View attachment 436166
That mod looks fairly complicated, but that's really awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 4k portrait mode?