emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that's funny and all, but these are the "levels" of autism:

View attachment 437152
Apologies if this felt like I'm being mean about people needing support by trivialising the terms used to describe them. That wasn't my intention. I guess, apart from the pun of levels as a gaming term, the joke is making fun of introducing a euphemism that's less descriptive than other terms, which seems foolish even if the intention is to avoid offense.

This is what used to be separated as Asperger's Syndrome towards the top of your diagram vs. autism towards the bottom. Or high- vs. low-functioning. AIUI the neutral term now / ?before introducing 'levels' is low- vs high-support-needs, pointing out that people's problems lie in interacting with society.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess, apart from the pun of levels as a gaming term, the joke is making fun of introducing a euphemism that's less descriptive than other terms, which seems foolish even if the intention is to avoid offense.
I did not rule that out (even if I doubt it) and indeed if that is really the case, the jokes are funny. But there is a lot of people who aren't aware of the terminology and who will take the jokes at face value and turn them into ignorant mockery. I just want to know we're on the same page here.

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: