Hacking Homebrew Animal Crossing New Leaf (ACNL) help: data corrupt??

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the most recent .sav file (attached to this post) from my unmodded o3DS XL from before my microSD card had succumbed to hardware failure about 6 years ago. Now that Pretendo has come into public beta, I decided to homebrew my o3DS XL in hopes that I could actually recover the save file and play it online (when they get around to building support for it).

If it helps at all:
  • I have not done a system format
  • I still have the original (though corrupt) microSD card
  • My copy of ACNL is the original digital release that has received the Welcome Amiibo update, and is not the re-released ACNL:WA game

Things I have tried:
  • Pasting a copy of the original 00000001.sav file back into the "title/00000000/00086300/data" folder and attempting to run the game
  • Doing the same thing, but using FBI to delete the secure value before running the game
  • Importing a copy the original 00000001.sav with Checkpoint and JKSM
  • Using ninfs with my moveable.sed and boot9.bin to decrypt a copy of the save and then retrying the above sequences
  • Download Save3DS, but the program doesn't even open on my computer
  • Run a copy of the original 00000001.sav through some converters online to turn them into .dat files (one specifically for Pokémon, one for VC games) to try opening it up through the online ACNL save editor which requires a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat
  • Trying the above steps on my homebrewed n2DS XL
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the game through the 3DS's data manager
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the game with its ticket through FBI
  • Attempted the prior sequences with and without the Welcome Amiibo update patch

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.. Even just knowing if I'm completely boned from experienced users would give me solace in knowing that there was never a chance to get it back in the first place. If it isn't possible to recover the whole save file, I hope it's at least possible to recover information like my Dream Address, villagers, and so on; that way I could at least use the aforementioned save editor to earnestly try to recreate my town.

Attachments

• 00000001.zip
    30.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by AndeRei,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the most recent .sav file (attached to this post) from my unmodded o3DS XL from before my microSD card had succumbed to hardware failure about 6 years ago. Now that Pretendo has come into public beta, I decided to homebrew my o3DS XL in hopes that I could actually recover the save file and play it online (when they get around to building support for it).

If it helps at all:
  • I have not done a system format
  • I still have the original (though corrupt) microSD card
  • My copy of ACNL is the original digital release that has received the Welcome Amiibo update, and is not the re-released ACNL:WA game

Things I have tried:
  • Pasting a copy of the original 00000001.sav file back into the "title/00000000/00086300/data" folder and attempting to run the game
  • Doing the same thing, but using FBI to delete the secure value before running the game
  • Using ninfs with my moveable.sed and boot9.bin to decrypt a copy of the save and then retrying the above sequences
  • Run a copy of the original 00000001.sav through some converters online to turn them into .dat files (one specifically for Pokémon, one for VC games) to try opening it up through the online ACNL save editor which requires a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat
  • Attempted the prior sequences with and without the Welcome Amiibo update patch

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.. Even just knowing if I'm completely boned from experienced users would give me solace in knowing that there was never a chance to get it back in the first place. If it isn't possible to recover the whole save file, I hope it's at least possible to recover information like my Dream Address, villagers, and so on; that way I could at least use the aforementioned save editor to earnestly try to recreate my town.
that sav file needs to be decrypted to be used with jksm or the such. which means you need it to get at the antisave feature for it to say the file isnt corrupt and continue using it.

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that sav file needs to be decrypted to be used with jksm or the such. which means you need it to get at the antisave feature for it to say the file isnt corrupt and continue using it.
I had tried my best to follow a ninfs thread in order to decrypt the .sav with ninfs, but perhaps I had done it wrong?
The title is "Restore save data from dead 3DS/2DS" but I can't seem to link it here as I'm a new user.

One option gave me an empty "00000001" folder and a separate "00000001.metadata" file on the side.
Another option gave me a "00000001" file with no extension.

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can link the garden.dat or garden_plus.dat file I can do something. I recovered my savefile in an absurd way
I don't have a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat file, just the raw .sav file that was taken directly off my microSD before my o3DS XL had been modded. Some of the steps I detailed in my initial post were my attempts to get my o3DS XL to produce a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat backup so that I could edit the information in the online save editor tool. If you know how I can do this, please let me know as I really appreciate your offer.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't have a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat file, just the raw .sav file that was taken directly off my microSD before my o3DS XL had been modded. Some of the steps I detailed in my initial post were my attempts to get my o3DS XL to produce a garden.dat/garden_plus.dat backup so that I could edit the information in the online save editor tool. If you know how I can do this, please let me know as I really appreciate your offer.
Do you have FBI or checkpoint?

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have FBI or checkpoint?
I've got both, but perhaps I'm not using them correctly!
Things I have tried:

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've got both, but perhaps I'm not using them correctly!
Ok, do this:
1) On Universal Updater download the Vapecord plugin. Reboot the console, open Rosalina and set Plugin Loader to ENABLED.
2) Copy the sav file to the game's folder (aka the first thing you tried)
3) Follow the steps Vapecord tells you, and backup you garden_plus.dat file.
4) Close the game and open FBI.
5) Go to sd:\Vapecord\Save\ACNL\and you should find a .dat file (not sure that is the right path)
6) Link the .dat file here.

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, do this:
1) On Universal Updater download the Vapecord plugin. Reboot the console, open Rosalina and set Plugin Loader to ENABLED.
2) Copy the sav file to the game's folder (aka the first thing you tried)
3) Follow the steps Vapecord tells you, and backup you garden_plus.dat file.
4) Close the game and open FBI.
5) Go to sd:\Vapecord\Save\ACNL\and you should find a .dat file (not sure that is the right path)
6) Link the .dat file here.
Thanks! I followed your instructions and Vapecord's how-to. It asked me to name it instead of just saving automatically, so I hope that this is okay. The .dat is in the .zip!

Attachments

• Original Save.7z
    9.1 KB · Views: 3

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you very much!
As of now, the game tells me "save data corrupted", trying a method that fixed the issue 4 me
Post automatically merged:

Hey, was your town like this? If yes everything may be saved

Attachments

• 20240510_154031.jpg
    20240510_154031.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 17153485285331018506810754001229.jpg
    17153485285331018506810754001229.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 17153485747543787183731770814813.jpg
    17153485747543787183731770814813.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by LNLenost,

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of now, the game tells me "save data corrupted", trying a method that fixed the issue 4 me

Hey, was your town like this? If yes everything may be saved
It wasn't like that, no. My town was JumpCity and I had at least 8 villagers including Chow, Hippeaux, Poncho, Celia, and Whitney.

1715364704768.png

I very much appreciate you going through such great lengths to help me. If there's nothing more that can be done, I will be resolute in knowing that my town is gone for good. Maybe I can use the Vapecord plugin to try recreating it from what few pictures I have and what little else I can remember.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It wasn't like that, no. My town was JumpCity and I had at least 8 villagers including Chow, Hippeaux, Poncho, Celia, and Whitney.

View attachment 436416

I very much appreciate you going through such great lengths to help me. If there's nothing more that can be done, I will be resolute in knowing that my town is gone for good. Maybe I can use the Vapecord plugin to try recreating it from what few pictures I have and what little else I can remember.
While doing this I corrupted my own savefile for the third time xD

Also thx for the picture

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh dear, I hope you can recover your own save 😭
No problem, if I cant recover it i do have some backups

Or I can just redo what I did (basically nothing) with Marc Robledo's save editor

Also i'm stil trying things on ur savefile. Do u have a photo of the map?

Great news! My savefile is fixed (yay!)

Last edited by LNLenost,

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, if I cant recover it i do have some backups

Or I can just redo what I did (basically nothing) with Marc Robledo's save editor

Also i'm stil trying things on ur savefile. Do u have a photo of the map?

Great news! My savefile is fixed (yay!)
Busy day, apologies for the delayed reply. Glad you got your file back!

I don't have any pictures of the map itself, but I pieced this together in the town editor from what little I can remember along with the few screenshots I have left. It's not 100% exact but this should be pretty close. I only had a screenshot of one villager's house and it's because they moved literally right in front of my own house.
1715499792913.png

AndeRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! In case the save is gone, I can remake for you the structures. Sadly I cant place the furniture because I dont know what was inside.
You're already doing so much for me, I can take the time to learn how to use the editor better for some stuff if the save is gone.

If the whole save can't be recovered, do you know if it's possible to recover individual pieces of info such as:
  • Villagers
  • Dream Address
  • Catalog
  • Badges and badge progress
  • Patterns
  • Play time
  • Happy Home Showcase
  • other potentially important info

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You're already doing so much for me, I can take the time to learn how to use the editor better for some stuff if the save is gone.

If the whole save can't be recovered, do you know if it's possible to recover individual pieces of info such as:
  • Villagers
  • Dream Address
  • Catalog
  • Patterns
  • Play time
  • Happy Home Showcase
Depends on how much corrupted it is, but probably I can recover something.

• Villagers
  • Dream Address
  • Catalog
  • Patterns
  • Play time
  • Happy Home Showcase
Quick question: your game version is 1.5 right? Because it's giving me a strange error...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu