Hacking Sigpatches for Atmosphere (Hekate, fss0, fusee & package3)

Temaps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,

My turn to ask exactly the same questions as everyone already asked because I'm dumb and I cannot read and understand correctly...

So, the method has changed, there are now 2 "best" ways to use sigpatches :
- have this line in the hekate_ipl.ini : fss0=atmosphere/package3 as a replacement of the usual (maybe not usual for everyone but was for me) "payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin" and get the sigpatches... somewhere
- use a complementary homebrew called "sys-patch" which is located... Well I found it on a russian website which link is provided in this thread but it seems that I need to register to get it.

Let's say I want to use "sys-patch" because it seems to be the system which will be the most adapted to me. Currently I am on a previous version of Atmosphere with Hekate/Nyx and Emunand on files.
0 - Take the SD card out of the switch
1 - Copy tesla files from here https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/
a. It's not clear to me if this step is necessary
b. I can't tell if this would be enough for the tesla system as the gbatemp page (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/) talks about 3 different parts, maybe all 3 are included in the file from the github I listed before ?)
c. The gbatemp page indicates that the tesla should not be used with old version of atmosphere. Mine is not old but also not up to date... Hopefully tesla is not required for "sys-patch" as it would require to first update atmosphere before using tesla but I first want to make sure that "sys-patch" is correctly installed.
2 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
3 - Copy "sys-patch" files => I see a problem here. Even if the switch works correctly, it could just mean that the previous already installed sigpatches still work but it would not mean that the newly installed "sys-patch" is working correctly as a replacement. Is there any way to check this before continuing ? Maybe I can just remove the already installed sigpatches but I don't remember where those are installed...
4 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
5 - Copy latest hekate/nyx files => Hold on here... What should I write in the hekate_ipl.ini as I want to boot using sys-patch and not the "hekate" way considering also that this is for an emunand ?
6 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
7 - Copy latest atmosphere files and install with daybreak
8 - Test if installation is ok in the switch

Thanks

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello everyone,

My turn to ask exactly the same questions as everyone already asked because I'm dumb and I cannot read and understand correctly...

So, the method has changed, there are now 2 "best" ways to use sigpatches :
- have this line in the hekate_ipl.ini : fss0=atmosphere/package3 as a replacement of the usual (maybe not usual for everyone but was for me) "payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin" and get the sigpatches... somewhere
- use a complementary homebrew called "sys-patch" which is located... Well I found it on a russian website which link is provided in this thread but it seems that I need to register to get it.

Let's say I want to use "sys-patch" because it seems to be the system which will be the most adapted to me. Currently I am on a previous version of Atmosphere with Hekate/Nyx and Emunand on files.
0 - Take the SD card out of the switch
1 - Copy tesla files from here https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/
b. I can't tell if this would be enough for the tesla system as the gbatemp page (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/) talks about 3 different parts, maybe all 3 are included in the file from the github I listed before ?)
c. The gbatemp page indicates that the tesla should not be used with old version of atmosphere. Mine is not old but also not up to date... Hopefully tesla is not required for "sys-patch" as it would require to first update atmosphere before using tesla but I first want to make sure that "sys-patch" is correctly installed.
2 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
3 - Copy "sys-patch" files => I see a problem here. Even if the switch works correctly, it could just mean that the previous already installed sigpatches still work but it would not mean that the newly installed "sys-patch" is working correctly as a replacement. Is there any way to check this before continuing ? Maybe I can just remove the already installed sigpatches but I don't remember where those are installed...
4 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
5 - Copy latest hekate/nyx files => Hold on here... What should I write in the hekate_ipl.ini as I want to boot using sys-patch and not the "hekate" way considering also that this is for an emunand ?
6 - Test if installation is ok in the switch
7 - Copy latest atmosphere files and install with daybreak
8 - Test if installation is ok in the switch

Thanks
Tltr

Use sys-patch

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's not, as sys-patch should work on its own, provided it's installed properly. Tesla + nx-ovlloader allow you to see whether sys-patch is working properly, after you press L + D-pad Down + R (Stick) combo, select sys-patch, followed by Log. If it says:
  1. Patched = the pattern it's searching for is already patched by sigpatches, so there's no need to patch it again;
  2. Patched = the pattern is patched by sys-patch (i.e. sigpatches are not present or haven't been applied on boot);
  3. Unpatched = the pattern wasn't found by sys-patch on the current system so there's no need to patch them (only present if you turn off the Version skip in the Options).
Think of those 3 as individual modules which work with one another. For general usage, you'll need Tesla Menu and nx-ovlloader, libtesla is for developers.

Unless I'm wrong, it should work properly if Atmosphere's 1.5.1 or newer, since it hasn't been updated ever since (since official firmwmare 16.0.0) was released.

As I've previously mentioned, you'll need Tesla menu and nx-ovlloader as well in order to see if it works or not.

My hekate_ipl.ini is the same one from the zip file in the sigpatches thread. However, if you're using sys-patch, you can just push fusee.bin payload and your game backups should work.

Now, since you'd like to update your current setup, I've posted a short guide here.

• Love
Reactions: Temaps and impeeza

SonGoku78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Blythe93
Hi there, just came by to ask about an unpatched "ES6" shown in the overlay log of syspatch as i updated my emufw to 18.0.0
I used sig patches from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatc...kate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/post-10406760
So everything works, but still i wanted to ask if that "unpatched ES6" in red could make troubles in the future ?
Thanks for the explanation for the colouring in the syspatch log.
So when i understand you correctly, that ES6 is just not needed to patch ?
Can you explain this in simple word for me please why that is not needed ?
As a noob, my understanding would be best case would be if everything is shown in green ?
Thanks and have a nice sunday :)

PS: Anybody feel free to answer please if you can, my question is not exclusively directed to blythe93 :D

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So everything works, but still i wanted to ask if that "unpatched ES6" in red could make troubles in the future ?
As far as I know, based on what impeeza said here, I believe they won't. Once the new firmware revision is released, if at least one of them is patched, the other one doesn't have to be. Of course, from time to time a new pattern will be needed so the sys-patch will need to be updated, but for now they should work just fine (18.0.1 should work fine with the latest sys-patch). I haven't run into any issue so far.

I'll quote what impeeza said:
impeeza said:
ES6 and ES7 are the 2 versions of the set of patterns to seek ES6 is for FW 14 to 17 and ES7 is for FW 14 to 18 I think they booth are overlapping, but if one of the two is patched, then the patch is applied.:

As a noob, my understanding would be best case would be if everything is shown in green ?
I'd say that the best case would be that the all the patterns included in sys-patch patch everything they need to in order for apps and game backups to work without issues.

dogtygr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Blythe93
Hi there, just came by to ask about an unpatched "ES6" shown in the overlay log of syspatch as i updated my emufw to 18.0.0
I used sig patches from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatc...kate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/post-10406760
Thanks for the explanation for the colouring in the syspatch log.
Thanks and have a nice sunday :)

PS: Anybody feel free to answer please if you can, my question is not exclusively directed to blythe93 :D

The pattern of es6 isn't found on the new firmware so it is stated as being unpatched. There's a mistake in the patch given by the link you have. es7 is supposed to replace es6 but it seems like the patch doesn't check which version you are when you test if you want to do the es6 check. I've corrected this issue here https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-patch-sysmod-that-patches-on-boot.633517/post-10436132 (I think that below there's a compiled version of the modifications I've made).

You can leave it like this though it doesn't make an impact anyway. If you're unlucky and it finds this pattern elsewhere it can be problematic though

Last edited by dogtygr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: everything else you say?