Testing the new EZ-Flash Parallel

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s absolutely worth getting a DS flashcart, just not the EZ Flash Parallel.
I bought the EZFP (looks pretty cool being clear case) for about $10 and I'm very pleased with their EZ Flash Omega GBA cart so I'm giving them a chance.

Plus, the FPGA chip got me interested, too. Let's see what they do or don't with it I'll be patient.

Janni9009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Plus, the FPGA chip got me interested, too. Let's see what they do or don't with it I'll be patient.
Nothing more than it does now. Which is being the brains of the cart, handling cart command translation and SD I/O. Every cart has an FPGA, CPLD, ASIC or MCU dedicated to this purpose.
It's not magically gonna become a DSTWO (that had a dedicated MIPS CPU) or iPlayer (dedicated video encoder) equivalent. The FPGA is already doing all it has capacity for (and extremely poorly given the almost DS-X levels of terrible DLDI speeds... while also being unable to run a bunch of DLDI-based homebrew at all like nds-bootstrap)

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likely this product was introduced to increase visibility for their other products (Omega DE and EZ Flash Jr which are probably not selling as well. I do not suspect they invested all that much into development of the Parallel. I'm critical of this product due to having expectations based off other popular products from the team and I'm simply impatient. I definitely look forward to meaningful updates that would entice me to dust it off and use it more regularly, I welcome softening my stance on the product should it mature into a solid overall cart. Time will tell I suppose...but I'm not holding my breath.

boots_n_cats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nothing more than it does now. Which is being the brains of the cart, handling cart command translation and SD I/O. Every cart has an FPGA, CPLD, ASIC or MCU dedicated to this purpose.
It's not magically gonna become a DSTWO (that had a dedicated MIPS CPU) or iPlayer (dedicated video encoder) equivalent. The FPGA is already doing all it has capacity for (and extremely poorly given the almost DS-X levels of terrible DLDI speeds... while also being unable to run a bunch of DLDI-based homebrew at all like nds-bootstrap)
That you for saying this. Everyone seems to think the FPGA on the Parallel is gonna turn your DS into a MiSTer but it’s really just a standard component of any flash cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol